Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2244
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 or J1" Previous topic | Next topic
bexupnorth Registered since 09th Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 09:34 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 or J1"

GB

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and am looking to buy a 1 series camera. I hope to do some creative (for me anyway!) stuff with time lapse, low light and some motorsport shots.

In the UK at the moment there are some decent deals on the J1 coupled with a + 30-110mm Lense (about £300, which is the same as a stock V1). The same lense deal with the V1 is almost £150 more expensive.

What would the panel recommend for my money, either the J1 with the lense deal or the stock V1 with a view to getting a lense later in the year?

Many thanks,

Ade.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 or J1
glennaa11 Silver Member
10th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
10th Dec 2012
bexupnorth
10th Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Dec 2012
bexupnorth
03rd Jan 2013
Aubrey Silver Member
02nd Feb 2013

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 10-Dec-12 08:46 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

well, you'll need a lens whichever body you get.

I think the deals out there on the V1 are pretty impressive. For me having the EVF was important so there was really no choice.

The V2 is a pretty big improvement over the V1 though. So that's the way I would go if it were me. But if your budget will only allow for a J1+lens or V1 body only then I think you would have to go the J1 route.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Mon 10-Dec-12 12:14 PM
5949 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

Am I correct in thinking the V2 does not offer the interval timer function? Since the OP is interested in time-lapse photography, that seems like a pretty big deal. (I'm mystified by this, too. Why wouldn't Nikon include a capability that I assume is purely a fairly simple software function?)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

bexupnorth Registered since 09th Dec 2012Mon 10-Dec-12 12:25 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Apologies, I should have stated that both camera's come with the standard 10-30 lens. There is a special offer on the V1 that includes the second lens.

I'm hoping that I get good enough to warrant the extra tools of the J1, but wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding how different the two cameras are over the cost benefits.

Many thanks for the replies so far.

Ade.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 11-Dec-12 08:03 AM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

>Apologies, I should have stated that both camera's come with
>the standard 10-30 lens. There is a special offer on the V1
>that includes the second lens.
>
>I'm hoping that I get good enough to warrant the extra tools
>of the J1, but wasn't sure if I was misunderstanding how
>different the two cameras are over the cost benefits.
>
>Many thanks for the replies so far.
>
>Ade.

Sorry for my misunderstanding. Then in my opinion the V1 is the winner for the EVF alone.

Glenn

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 11-Dec-12 08:01 AM
#5. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 2

Arlington, US

I don't know the answer to this. The V1 has the interval shooting so I assumed the V2 would also include that feature...but you're right that it's not listed in the tech specs. Maybe some one who has the camera can chime in to answer whether it is available.

Glenn

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 10-Dec-12 01:42 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

The V1 is the more advanced of the 2 and currently the V1 costs a little less than the J1 (for some reason) so I would definitely lean towards the V1. The only thing you'll not have is an anemic flash. You'd have to get the J1/2 or V2 for a flash that's integral.

But either way I wouldn't think of low light shots with these without a tripod. The high ISO certainly works but it's only marginally better than a compact. I would look at maybe the V1 kit and the new 18.5 lens or 10mm pancake lens.

bexupnorth Registered since 09th Dec 2012Thu 03-Jan-13 09:36 AM
#7. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

Hello again,

After careful consideration and 2 hours in Jessops testing the patience (and knowledge) of the staff I decided that neither the V1 or J1 were for me as I "needed" a digital SLR. Unfortunately I went to the dark side and ended up with a Canon EOS 1100D. Hopefully you won't mind me sticking around for a while as I have found the forum to be very friendly and informative. When it comes to upgrade time perhaps I'll be able to afford a proper camera )

Regards,

Ade.

Aubrey Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Jun 2007Sat 02-Feb-13 06:02 PM
219 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 or J1"
In response to Reply # 7
Sat 02-Feb-13 06:05 PM by Aubrey

Limassol, CY

You are most welcome!
As you well know photography requires light in some form.

No doubt as time proceeds you will "see the light" - Nikon!

Regardless of what camera you use, I expect the wisdom of the Nikonians will stand you in good stead.

Very best wises,
Aubrey

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2244 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.