nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2233
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 setting" Previous topic | Next topic
adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Sat 08-Dec-12 10:32 PM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 setting"

Portland, US

What setting would you recommend to take outside Christmas lights at night?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 setting
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
09th Dec 2012
adcam Gold Member
09th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
09th Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
DavidHarsay
10th Dec 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 01:54 AM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 setting"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

The biggest thing is time of day. I recommend dusk because you'll get a nice glow in the sky that adds enough lighting to make everything a bit more interesting. I would use a tripod - absolute must but if you can't then I would use the 10-30 lens as wide as possible in aperture and find something to brace against with ISO 800.

But with a tripod you can experiment on exposure settings. I would probably start with ISO 100, f/8, and whatever shutter speed the camera recommends initially. but it will probably try to over expose in some situations (or under if there are a lot of lights) so be prepared to use exposure compensation.

adcam Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2007Sun 09-Dec-12 04:18 AM
596 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 setting"
In response to Reply # 1

Portland, US

Thanks! Will try it out.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 09-Dec-12 04:50 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 setting"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

Oh, and try daylight or tungsten white balance.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 09-Dec-12 05:40 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 setting"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

I agree that you will probably need to play with the exposure compensation a bit. I was in Taiwan recently and there are lots of colored lights everywhere. My initial attempts to capture them didn't work so well because the lights came out too white. Had to dial the exposure compensation into negative territory to see the colors.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 10-Dec-12 09:46 PM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 setting"
In response to Reply # 3

Fort Myers, US

Like everyone has mentioned, dusk is best, but I will add that I recommend RAW and no more than ISO 400, and ISO 100 if you can do it, which will require a tripod. Take various exposures and this way you can play with it more later to bring out the colors and the backgrounds.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2233 Previous topic | Next topic