Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2229
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on" Previous topic | Next topic
VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Fri 07-Dec-12 10:02 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"

Ottawa, CA

I had the opportunity to trade up to a V2 from a V1. There are several reasons why the V2 is an improvement over the V1 for me.

1. No mandatory image review.
2. Less easily moved dials. They can still be inadvertently moved but its harder.
3. Its easier to turn off and on - especially off - then the V1.
3. Higher resolution 10 to 14mp approx.
4. Better handling overall, its lighter, can be shot with one hand and has a grip.

I intend to use it as a walk around body for photography only.

Today I had a chance to go out with the camera and test it with the 10-30mm 3.5-5.6 lens. Its was overcast and dark so a higher ISO was needed. Lightroom and CS don't read the nef files. I took the nefs into NX2 (thank you Mr. Bowles for pointing this fix out) on a windows machine converted them to Tiff and moved them to my IMAC. I imported them to Lightroom, exported them without editing and used CS to size for web. So the photos below are unedited, Auto White Balance, Active D lighting was off, Vibration reduction was on, AF was on spot and metering was matrix. NX2 conversion to Tiff is slow.

You may have guessed that I am happy with the V2 - though I would prefer and will buy prime lenses. The following are some of the test shots I took. I was impressed with the dynamic range - shooting through two windows to an outdoor scene and still seeing the roof of the room. The detail was not bad either e.g. the etchings on the wall which speaks to the lens. Finally the ribbons shot indoors at a very slow speed shows the vibration reduction can work.

ISO 400 -11.8mm-F8- 1/640

ISO400-10mm-F16-1/20

ISO160-30mm-F8-1/320

ISO160-30mm-F8-1/200

ISO800-30mm-F8-1/500

ISO800-30mm-F9-1/30

Hope this is useful.

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)
Attachment #5, (jpg file)
Attachment #6, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on
Snappo Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
SRFast Silver Member
09th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
09th Dec 2012

Snappo Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2004Sat 08-Dec-12 12:13 PM
287 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"
In response to Reply # 0

Tulsa, US

Self portrait. ISO 3200, F8, 1/10sec. Auto wht balance. Kitchen lighting with two flourescent bulbs covered with a white globe. Great little camera, very easy to use and setup.

an old duffer with the time to have fun,
Jim

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 09-Dec-12 04:43 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

very nice. When you say "opportunity to trade up", what does that mean?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 09-Dec-12 06:55 AM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

An in store Half back program (within 12 months), plus some consideration for an error, made for a good deal.

Victor

SRFast Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Dec 2004Sun 09-Dec-12 01:57 PM
1452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"
In response to Reply # 3

New York City, US

Victor,
Thanks for posting the images. I am seriously considering the purchase of the V2. I currently have a P7000 as my small package option, but I think the V2 would be better fit for me. I like the idea of being able to use my F-mount Niklkor lens with the V2+FT1 combo. I will probably order the V2 lens kit before soon to take advantage of the current Nikon rebate promotion.

Regards...JL

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 09-Dec-12 02:17 PM
#5. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 - Hands on"
In response to Reply # 4

Ottawa, CA

I have the FT1, but I also have other Nikon DSLRs. With the FT1 you can use of only the center point for focus. Its not a replacement for a DSLR, but its a big step up from a point and shoot. There is still a lag between shots in comparison to a DSLR, buts very minimal. I bought the V2 to be bale to take a camera places a DSLR cannot go.

Good luck

>Victor,
>Thanks for posting the images. I am seriously considering the
>purchase of the V2. I currently have a P7000 as my small
>package option, but I think the V2 would be better fit for me.
> I like the idea of being able to use my F-mount Niklkor lens
>with the V2+FT1 combo. I will probably order the V2 lens kit
>before soon to take advantage of the current Nikon rebate
>promotion.
>
>Regards...JL

Victor

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2229 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.