Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2210
View in linear mode

Subject: "Best way to shoot moving people - V1?" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 10:42 PM
679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Best way to shoot moving people - V1?"

Banning, US

I am basically a tripod based DSLR shooter. I seldom shoot things that move much.

I am more than not an AF-S, Single focus point selected by user, Single Drive, Aperture priority, Matrix or spot meter shooter

I have been trying street photography, hand held with the V1, and can't find the right combinations to get multiple shot bursts. Perhaps the re-autofocus speed between shots is to slow. My first shot will be okay, but subsequent shots will be out of focus, particularly when the subject is walking toward me.

I have been trying to figure out the best settings to use with continuous drive

Any thoughts on good technique and on good settings to try?

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 06-Dec-12 05:17 PM
10564 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Best way to shoot moving people - V1?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

You're missing the advantage of multipoint and Face Detection. Face Detect will by default try to kick in first, which is good given your subject matter. If no faces (or things that look like faces) are detected, then the selected AF Area (Single, Multi) will apply.

To be honest, Multi works 90% of the time if Face Detect happens to not see any. While you don't have the granularity of the old Closest Subject Priority on SLRs, it does look for the nearest object to you.

That, plus the likelihood that under good outside lighting, the camera is probably operating in Phase Detect AF mode, which is about as fast as you can get on this system.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Thu 06-Dec-12 05:28 PM
679 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Best way to shoot moving people - V1?"
In response to Reply # 1

Banning, US

Thanks, I was concerned about multipoint as in street photography there is often someone closer that the person that I am after. If I un derstand correctly the multipoint looks for nearest to focus on.

I think when I go into the big city next time, I will take 'both' the D800 and the V1 and try the V1 on multipoint. But I will have the D800 in the pack if the V1 does't work out on multipoint.

Thanks,

Jerry

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2210 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.