Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #219
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to set aperture" Previous topic | Next topic
TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Mon 07-Nov-11 02:25 AM
2312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to set aperture"

Bay Area, US

Can anybody tell me how to set the aperture on these cameras? I played around with one but could not figure it out (neither could the guy in the store!). I managed to get it into Aperture priority mode, but then how do you set it? Turning that wheel on the back did nothing. I could change EV compensation by pressing the corresponding button and then turning the wheel, but could not find anything for the aperture itself.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

http://www.tkphoto.me/

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to set aperture
Neuritis Silver Member
07th Nov 2011
TomCurious
07th Nov 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
07th Nov 2011
TomCurious
07th Nov 2011
Ginsbury Gold Member
10th Nov 2011
blw Moderator
09th Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
16th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Nov 2011
Reply message RE: How to set aperture on V1
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Dec 2011

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Mon 07-Nov-11 08:35 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

In aperture priority the toggle switch changes the aperture.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Mon 07-Nov-11 03:38 PM
2312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 1

Bay Area, US

Thanks for the info!

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Mon 07-Nov-11 12:03 PM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Netanya, IL

See in the Manual - p. 115 for Aperture priority mode and p. 116 for Manual Mode.

Enjoy!
Nathan

TomCurious Registered since 03rd Jan 2007Mon 07-Nov-11 03:39 PM
#4. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 2

Bay Area, US

Thanks! I don't have the camera or manual yet, though.

Tom
Bay Area Nikonian

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Thu 10-Nov-11 11:22 AM
311 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 4

Netanya, IL

I don't have my camera yet, either, but have downloaded a non-printable manual-- and you can do the same.

Nathan

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 09-Nov-11 07:56 PM
26293 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

It took me ten+ minutes of fiddling yesterday to figure it out. There's a little bidirectional toggle switch right where your right thumb goes. In A mode, that changes the aperture. You'd never forget it once you see it, but it was a very frustrating ten minutes for both me and the guy at Glazer's while we tried to figure it out. (The manual seemed to have gone missing, we did try that first.)

I haven't decided yet, because I've so far found it way too hard to figure out how to use it, so I don't know. But I will say that I found the camera to be surprisingly heavy for its size, and especially the V1 is kind of an awkward thickness. It definitely did not want to go in my jacket pocket (sports coat, not winter jacket), even with the little prime lens. I found that rather disappointing. The P7100 sitting next to it on the shelf looked a lot more appealing for that reason.

I know I'm not the target audience, but I'd like something more pocketable than my D3, even when "only" equipped with a 50/f1.8, 35/f1.4 or 28-105. Right now I am - shockingly - leaning toward a Samsung, but this is far from a closed case. The Samsung NX10 or NX100 (I forget which is which) is thin, and actually operates like a DSLR, so I didn't have to figure out how to run it. I picked it up and started shooting. But gee, another whole system? I suppose a Nikon 1 would be a whole new system too...

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 16-Nov-11 06:42 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 5

Alberta, CA

> But I will
>say that I found the camera to be surprisingly heavy for its
>size, and especially the V1 is kind of an awkward thickness.
>It definitely did not want to go in my jacket pocket (sports
>coat, not winter jacket), even with the little prime lens. I
>found that rather disappointing. The P7100 sitting next to it
>on the shelf looked a lot more appealing for that reason.
>

We serious shooters probably would have been better off with an X1. Anyhow I did not wait for that and bought the V1, but that did not elimate my desire for the J1 form factor. I'll probably end up with a J2 someday (and some pancake primes) to complement my V1. For video usage, the EVF offers me what I wanted. Me being Canadian, for 8 months of the year my coat pockets are pretty big, so the V1 with 10-30 fits(and I expect the 30-110 will too).

For Samsung you would probably want to look at the NX200? Samsung also makes some very nice primes.

Anyhow for any Nikon shooter thinking about possibly melding on some of their existing lenses, the Nikon 1 series has an irresitable advantage since it supports AF and VR on F-mount AF-S lenses.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 28-Nov-11 01:23 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: How to set aperture"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

The J1 is smaller, lighter, and more pocketable.
However, there is no stereo mic jack and I want to use my D7000 batteries

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 12-Dec-11 01:58 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to set aperture on V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

Quote Brian> There's a little bidirectional toggle switch right where
>your right thumb goes.
But I will say that I found the camera to be surprisingly heavy for its size, and especially the V1 is kind of an awkward thickness. Quote

It fits in all my pockets with the 10mm f2.8 lens.
I really like the feel of the extra weight.
This is the first pocket camera I've been able to hold steady enough to get a consistent InFocus shot.
Of course a lot of that has to do with it's superior fast FF focus.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #219 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.