Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #218
View in linear mode

Subject: "Where can I get "Hands On"?" Previous topic | Next topic
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 05-Nov-11 02:06 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Where can I get "Hands On"?"

Monterey Bay, US

I want to check out the V1.
I dismissed the D5100 before going to my local camera store to get a second D7000.
They lined up a D3100, D5100, and D7000.
I might get a Nikon 1 after all, if it exceeds my expectations.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Where can I get "Hands On"?
rickpaul Silver Member
09th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Nov 2011
HeavyDuty
27th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Nov 2011
               Reply message RE: I finally got "Hands On"?
RRRoger Silver Member
03rd Dec 2011

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberWed 09-Nov-11 01:01 AM
1807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Where can I get "Hands On"?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I think you need to live in a large city with a large camera store. So far, I haven't seen them at Best Buy, which is the only option for camera in Tucson.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 27-Nov-11 03:09 AM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Where can I get "Hands On"?"
In response to Reply # 1
Sun 27-Nov-11 02:23 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Well, I went down to my local Best Buys today.
They had a J1 with 10-30 lens on display.
To my disgust, the salesgirl tried to sell me a Canon.
She disqualified herself when she said you could not get a descent print from 10 MegaPixels.
Her personal PowerShot is either no good or she does not know how to use it.
I replied that I have printed excellent posters from a 4mp D2h JPEGs.

The J1 was teethered to a power supply with nothing but on board memory and no access to the SDHC card door, so
I could only take a few shots or one second of video and review it on the LCD.
The clamping device was bigger and heavier than the camera, thus nullifying any feel.

So, I ordered a V1 from B&H.
The Nikon "Instant rebate" is supposed to end today, and I in kind of a panic, also ordered the 10mm f/2.8 along with the 10-30 and 30-110 lens.

I should finally have my "Hands On" Dec 1st.
Then I shall make my real world comparison of the Video capability compared to my "old" D5100.

HeavyDuty Registered since 23rd Nov 2011Sun 27-Nov-11 11:08 AM
8 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Where can I get "Hands On"?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

I was lucky enough to be able to handle a V1 several times before committing. My V1 three lens outfit should be here Monday or Tuesday, the pricing was more than I could resist.

I've found the larger Wolf Camera stores have both the V1 and J1 on the shelf, and they don't use the Best Buy tether.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 27-Nov-11 02:35 PM
#4. "RE: Where can I get "Hands On"?"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

> the pricing was more than I could resist.
>
I want a new toy!
I actually want a D400 and/or D800, but neither is in sight.
It may be Summer before I can get "Hands On" with either one.

Hopefully the V1 will be useable (not too small or lightweight).
But it will have to beat the D5100 for "Home Movies" in order for me to keep it.
The J1 seemed to focus very fast and accurate in the store, but
how much can you tell from a LCD screen (many of which have been very deceiving in the past).
I wanted to shoot with my card so I could review the stills and Video at home.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 03-Dec-11 12:51 AM
#5. "RE: I finally got "Hands On"?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Just opened the package last night

I am currently staring at it mounted with a C bracket and Azden SMX-10 Stereo Mic
The sound quality is not only much improved but it does NOT pick up all kinds of unwanted noise.

First impression is how "solid" the camera feels.
However, coming from a DSLR, it seems to be missing part of the grip.
It really helps to hold onto the C-Bracket while taking Video with my other hand because the 10-30 is too small.

The AF is so good and quick that I can actually get away with not using a TriPod.
I primarily bought this to use for "Home Movies".
720P at 60fps may work out best because the DVDs are reduced to 720p at 30fps anyway which is what the MOV files play back at.
Surprisingly the 720P files at 60fps appeared smoother than the 1080i at 60fps or 1080p at 30fps, but
there wasn't much difference "noticeable on my computer with FullScreen 28 inch HD Monitor" between the three.

It is nice to be able to use the ViewFinder during Video recording.

The "old" pre charged D700 battery works fine.

The hand held stills look good when zoomed in on.
There is much more moire in the dark areas than expected, but
probably won't show much on up to 8x10 prints.
This just may be the best camera "to capture the moment" when out without a big DSLR.

I am on firmware 1.0

Sunday I will use the camera to VideoGraph the Church Service a hopefully do a "Walk About" thru my Landscape Nursery.
I will consider the camera a "Keeper" if either is successful.
I have not gotten a good hand held Walk About since my Super 8 died, and
it has been 2 much more expensive Video Cams and 5 HDSLR's including a 5D2 since.

Nikon is very good at fixes.
But, other than 24fps I do not expect any added features.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #218 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.