nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2171
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?" Previous topic | Next topic
Brodstein Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd May 2007Mon 03-Dec-12 06:35 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"

San Francisco, US

I am trying to decide whether to get the Nikon 1 V2 or the Sony NEX-6. I have done a fair amount of research, but am very interested to hear opinions from this highly-informed group.

I am a serious Nikon user, with a system built around the D300. My main interest is travel and urban documentary photography. However, the older I get, the harder it is to lug around a "brick" all day. Hence, my motivation to get a smaller, lighter camera for those days when my energy level is not what it used to be.

Obviously there are advantages to the V2 since I already own various Nikkor lenses. On the other hand, using one of those with the V2 would defeat the purpose of carrying a smaller, lighter camera, which in turn means that another brand may not be such a disadvantage.

Any "pearls of wisdom" would be gratefully appreciated!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
03rd Dec 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
j_gordon53
03rd Dec 2012
kenuck Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
lorettaf42
07th Dec 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 07:24 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

LOL, I don't know if I'd call it wisdom but here's how I look at it. I originally looked at a NEX 7 months ago. Here's why I ended up with the V1:

1. I do lots of telephoto so the FT1 was a huge plus for me.
2. The CX lenses are much smaller than what are essentially DX lenses for the NEX line
3. The quality is good enough
4. The autofocus

The biggest reason why I didn't go with Sony is the lens sizes, really. Then it flowed from there with the number of lenses, a different system to learn, and different image quality nuances to figure out.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 07:40 PM
1210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

I was looking at NEX's too, but with the recent prices for V1's I made my decision mainly on economics. True the NEX has an APS-C sensor, which will give better IQ and High ISO, but in spite of a small body, when you hang the DX size lenses on it, it isn't so small. Same thing happens with the D3200 size bodies when you put a zoom lens on them. The sensor on the V1 is a good bit larger than the P&S sensors, so it should have comensurately better performance than a P&S. And at $300 I just don't see how you can go wrong. I put a Franiec grip on mine today and it makes a world of difference in how the camera feels and handles. I'll be out shooting over the next month to give it a fair trial. For my intended use though (mainly travel and friends and family pics), I think it will be ideal. Just wish it had a built-in flash.

Rich

j_gordon53 Registered since 16th Feb 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 09:39 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chadds Ford, US

I know the V2 looks sexy with the new bells and whistles, but I just bought the V1. The price is great ($299) and it looks like it will be a fun camera to have for travel. I like the fast focus and I got the 18.5mm lens for the times I need it. I will look for the V2 or V3 next year at XMAS time. I still have a D5100 and some lenses for "real" photography. A lot of people seem to be having fun with the camera. Take care.

No matter how flat you smash a pancake,
there are always two sides

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Wed 05-Dec-12 10:14 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

>I am trying to decide whether to get the Nikon 1 V2 or the
>Sony NEX-6.
>I am a serious Nikon user, with a system built around the
>D300. My main interest is travel and urban documentary
>photography. However, the older I get, the harder it is to lug
>around a "brick" all day. Hence, my motivation to
>get a smaller, lighter camera for those days when my energy
>level is not what it used to be.
>
>Obviously there are advantages to the V2 since I already own
>various Nikkor lenses. On the other hand, using one of those
>with the V2 would defeat the purpose of carrying a smaller,
>lighter camera, which in turn means that another brand may not
>be such a disadvantage.

If you're into using telephoto lenses, the difference is that with the NEX cameras, you're essentially using DX sized lenses, while the same FOV is achieved with a much smaller lens on the V2. For example, to achieve a 600mm full frame FOV with NEX, you need a 400mm lens, while with the V2 you get almost the same FOV with a much smaller 200 mm lens.

Like you, I have D300 (currently spending most of the time in a drawer) and got a V1 because of its small sensor/high crop factor. The only time I pull out the D300 is if I want extreme wide angles. With the V1/V2 (already ordered) I'll currently have to do a panorama to achieve those wide angles.

Ken

lorettaf42 Registered since 13th Dec 2009Fri 07-Dec-12 05:57 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 1 V2 vs. Sony NEX-6?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 07-Dec-12 05:58 PM by lorettaf42

somerville, US

I, too, have been using a D300 for several years now and decided to go lighter. I purchased the V1 a bit over one month ago and then saw the announcement for the V2. After comparing photos of the V1 and my D300, I saw no reason to continue lugging around the D300. I loved using the V1 except for the annoying lack of wheel controls. So, I returned the V1 and waited for the V2 which I received a few days ago.

I, so far, have not had a problem with the small sensor. Even in darkish situations, the photos are comparable to the D300. The is very nice EXCEPT that they have removed the "interval" shooting mode which I have started using a lot. Also, not happy about the lack of "bracketing" feature. It has its own HDR option where it takes 2 photos at different speeds and puts them together.

For this reason I may try the NEX, although I hate to go away from Nikon. I'd prefer that they redid the software to allow for interval and bracketing if possible. The size and weight of the V2 lenses are a big factor for me.

RocketDog2

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2171 Previous topic | Next topic