nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2157
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus" Previous topic | Next topic
AP503 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2009Sun 02-Dec-12 03:11 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"

North Attleboro, US

Bought V1 for situations when I did not want to carry my Nikon 300s. Overall I have been very pleased with the performance of the V1.
Just experienced a difficult photo situation with the V1. Traveled to Ireland. Took the V1 to dinner and some pub hopping. I had a lot of difficulty with auto focus in low light situations(pub and dinner setting). V1 would not focus and could not take the photo. The quality of the photos I was able to take was poor.I did change some settings but was not really pleased with the results. Any advice on proper settings for those poor light situations with the V1.
I realize pub/poor light situations are challenging for a camera. My frustration was intensified by members in our group were able to snap photos with simple point and shoot cameras and the photo quality was ok.
What was I doing wrong.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus
kenuck Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
AP503 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
03rd Dec 2012
david_mathre Platinum Member
03rd Dec 2012
j_gordon53
03rd Dec 2012
Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine
03rd Dec 2012
AP503 Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
05th Dec 2012
AP503 Silver Member
06th Dec 2012
vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest
07th Dec 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
24th Dec 2012
MSorell
31st Dec 2012

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 11:05 PM
108 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Burnaby, CA

Can you give us more information on what your settings were? ISO, exposure mode, etc.

Ken

AP503 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 01:27 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 1

North Attleboro, US

Thanks for the response.
The photos I was able to take had the following settings. Exposure 1/5sec at f/3.5 , ISO 1600, Focal Length 11.4 mm, Was using the V1 Speed light, Flash did fire.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 03:43 AM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

Really there isn't much you can do, although the flash would help depending upon your use of flash. At least not with the the 10-30 lens. If you got the 10 f2.8 lens you'd have a little more light coming in which would raise your shutter speed some. The problem is getting enough light in. Tripod is going to be the best way overall. But if you can't use a tripod then...

I'd go with ISO 3200, 10 f2.8 lens, manual mode, and set the shutter speed to something you can handhold. Your background would likely go black but might be handholdable and satisfactory.

david_mathre Platinum Member Nikonian since 24th Nov 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 04:17 PM
530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Skillman, US

I agree that the 10 mm f/2.8 helps in low light situations. I've included an image taken with the V1 and 10 mm f/2.8 lens in a pub in Ireland. ISO 800, no flash. It was actually a lot darker in the pub than it appears in this image. Image processed with DxO Optics Pro 8.

DJM

"Images of the Day" PhotoBlog
My Nikonians Gallery
ShepArtPhotography Gallery

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

j_gordon53 Registered since 16th Feb 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 09:42 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 4

Chadds Ford, US

Dave, that is a wonderful photo. I hope I can do as well. I just ordered the V1 and 18.5mm. Take care.

No matter how flat you smash a pancake,
there are always two sides

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberMon 03-Dec-12 05:45 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

US

...would not focus and could not take the photo.

The camera has control over which autofocus method to use in any given situation. Hopefully that will change in future models, but right now, you have no control over whether the camera selects the faster Phase Detect or the slower but more accurate Contrast Detect mode.

Given that, you discover over time and use in the field the "gut feeling" of when it will use one over the other. In many cases, it's clear-cut - a bright sunny day - almost guarantees PD. Dark interiors? Most likely CD. Pub situation as you described? It's hit or miss, but chances are good that it will revert to CD because of the low light levels. As with any Contrast Detect system (also likely used by your peers who were using their cameras), you need to find a nice contrasty target. Hard to do when it's dimly lit to be sure.

What I do in these situations is turn on Face Detection. FD is a supplement to either PD or CD autofocus modes. It's also very fast and very reliable, given we're several generations into this technology. Enable FD and let the camera pick either focus mode. In any case, your people photos will be properly focused. You'll want to eventually turn it off for general scenic photography for example. With me - my J1 is my "everyday carry" and thus, likely to end up being pulled out for photos of someone doing something. It's great to see those dancing little boxes popping up on people's mugs in the viewfinder - gives a nice "confidence" feedback that we know what we're focusing on.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

AP503 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2009Tue 04-Dec-12 01:33 PM
#7. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 5

North Attleboro, US

Thanks to all for the responses and helpful tips. Plan to get a 18.5 mm for those low light situations. Plan to use the face recognition tip. Big problem, as everyone mentioned, was the auto focus fixing on a contrast in low light Irish Pub settings.(I blamed it on the Guinness!)
Dave's photo did bring back pleasant memories of my trip.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 04-Dec-12 05:59 PM
1210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

I went to dinner last night with my new V1 and my not new wife. I was trying the V1 out in dimly lit situations (Christmas lights on buildings). Those results were pretty good, but somewhat noisy due to all the shadow areas. Inside the restaurant, which was pretty dimly lit, the camera seemed to focus pretty well. My only gripe was the low shutter speeds it chose (I was in A mode). When we left, I tried to take a photo of a lighted flag on a building a block away. No luck. Wouldn't focus or fire. I guess I should have kept trying to find a focus target, but I just gave it up and moved on. Frustrated. I'll keep working on it.

Rich

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 07:34 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 0

Karlovac, HR

You may try selecting Electronic (Hi) as a shutter type - the camera will automatically adjust the ISO setting appropriate to the detected light conditions. In that way autofocus will be better able to select the focus point.

AP503 Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Oct 2009Thu 06-Dec-12 09:16 PM
#10. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 9

North Attleboro, US

>You may try selecting Electronic (Hi) as a shutter type - the
>camera will automatically adjust the ISO setting appropriate
>to the detected light conditions. In that way auto focus will
>be better able to select the focus point.

Vizz, Selecting Electronic (Hi) shutter you were able to shoot in poorly lighted situations? V1 was able to auto focus etc. How was the the quality?

I had the same experience as Captain Rich,
"When we left, I tried to take a photo of a lighted flag on a building a block away. No luck. Wouldn't focus or fire. I guess I should have kept trying to find a focus target, but I just gave it up and moved on. Frustrated. I'll keep working on it."

vizz Silver Member Laureate Ribbon awarded for winning in the Best of Nikonians 2013 images Photo Contest Nikonian since 19th Aug 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 04:18 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 10
Fri 07-Dec-12 08:16 PM by nwcs

Karlovac, HR

I think that autofocus must have a point of focus with enough contrast to be able to lock on it.
One example where it worked well:

Link To Image

Moderator's note: fixed link.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Mon 24-Dec-12 11:33 PM
1210 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 11

Savannah, US

I had a repeat of my previous experience last week. I was trying to take a photo of the lights on the ground and the beginning of sunrise from an airplane taking off. I could clearly see the engine nacelle, and was surprised that it didn't provide a good focus target. Gave up this time too. I have been having somewhat better luck by switching to Shutter priority, however. Don't know why.

Rich

MSorell Registered since 23rd Mar 2008Mon 31-Dec-12 07:51 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V1 and shooting in low light situation/auto focus"
In response to Reply # 12

Bellevue, US

I live in the dark daylight of the northwest. Shooting indoors I use aperture priority and I am able to get good results indoors.

Marie

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2157 Previous topic | Next topic