Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2152
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just handled a V2" Previous topic | Next topic
glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 01-Dec-12 12:35 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just handled a V2"

Arlington, US

I happen to be traveling in Asia and am in Hong Kong at the moment. Was just in one of the giant malls this evening with a bunch of camera shops that had the V2. One place let me play with it for a little while. I gotta say it is really tempting. The handling is head and shoulders better than the V1. Having the mode dial on top and the control dial is really great. The grip fit very nicely in my smallish hands.

After lugging my D7000 around with me a lot on this trip in addition to using the V1 part of the time I am having a real re-think about travel photography going forward. Those m43 models out there and the NEX's(the 6 and 7 anyway with the EVFs) are real competitors. One thing about the N1 series I would like to see is some improved lenses. While the 10-30 serves its purpose a bit bigger range zoom that has some real heft and quality feel to it rather than feeling like a plastic toy would really get my attention. When you look at those m43 lenses they have a sense of being a real optical tool the way the zooms take some effort to adjust for example.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just handled a V2
nwcs Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
Bill Spangler Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
OldITGeek Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
VR8 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
04th Dec 2012
OldITGeek Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
shaileshmd Silver Member
26th Jan 2014
a4str Gold Member
26th Jan 2014
a4str Gold Member
26th Jan 2014

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 02-Dec-12 02:56 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Thanks for the report! Do you have any idea how it feels handling-wise? That is, do you think the IQ is about the same or better? I definitely know what you mean about the appeal of the Nikon 1 after carrying a D700 and lenses around Las Vegas!

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 02-Dec-12 06:47 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

I thought I mentioned that the handling is way better. By that I mean the ease of accessing the controls, how it feels in your hand, etc. Without getting the files into a computer it's impossible to know about IQ. My assumption is that it must be at least a little better. But I also think people get too caught up in numbers when it comes to that sort of thing.

Glenn

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Sun 02-Dec-12 01:42 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

Does it have the annoying image preview after every shot that plagues the V1? Thanks

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 03-Dec-12 11:19 AM
#4. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

Yes, I believe it does. I didn't look at the menus to see if that could be overcome.

Glenn

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 04:27 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

Rats, that's the biggest pet peeve I have of the V1...

Bill Spangler Gold Member Charter MemberMon 03-Dec-12 05:57 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 3

Louisville, US

I downloaded the V2 manual from the Nikon website. Page 112 under the heading "Image Review" :

"If On is selected, pictures will be displayed immediately after shooting. To view pictures when Off is selected, press the button."

This problem apparently goes away with the V2. I would expect, since my V2 is set to arrive tomorrow, V1 firmware will be updated to resolve the issue very soon.

Bill

www.roseislandphoto.com
www.girlgirlscene.com

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 06:27 PM
#7. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 6

Knoxville, US

LOL, usually when a new model is released Nikon never updates the old one unless there's a huge issue. Shame, though, that they wouldn't do this with one of the earlier firmware updates. So easy to add.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 03-Dec-12 07:52 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 6

Ottawa, CA

Since you will be getting a V2, it would great if you could keep us informed on how this ends up woring or not on your V2.

Thanks

Victor

Bill Spangler Gold Member Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 12:00 AM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 8

Louisville, US

Will do!

www.roseislandphoto.com
www.girlgirlscene.com

Bill Spangler Gold Member Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 05:29 PM
#13. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 8

Louisville, US

I can confirm, under the Playback menu, there is an "Image Review" option that shuts off the image review after the shutter is released.

www.roseislandphoto.com
www.girlgirlscene.com

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Tue 04-Dec-12 07:44 PM
#14. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 13

Ottawa, CA

Great! I may be able to upgrade tomorrow! The deal includes the 10-30 not the 10. I will have to buy a new 10m at some point and as funding permits more of the primes as they come out.

Victor

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Mon 03-Dec-12 10:30 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 3

Mississauga, CA

My VI does not display the image preview after a shot.

I have updated the Camera and lens to the latest firmware

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 03-Dec-12 11:31 PM
#10. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 9

Ottawa, CA

My firmware is 1.2 for both and A and B, what is yours. A solution would help. Thanks

Victor

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 04-Dec-12 01:54 AM
#12. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 10

Knoxville, US

I would also be interested. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone make that statement. What I usually do is tap the shutter release real quickly to dismiss the review. But it still causes a delay.

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 01:01 AM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 10

Mississauga, CA

Sorry, stand corrected.

It holds the image while writing to the SD card, then it goes to display again.

Mine is 1.2 1.2 and 1.1 for the lens

shaileshmd Silver Member Nikonian since 23rd Jan 2014Sun 26-Jan-14 02:20 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 1

Dracut, US

I just received my white V2 with 10-30 lens. I had also ordered the 10-100 PD zoom, which I mounted last night. As an amatuer photographer who has used D200 for last 6 years, this was a pleasant surprise! Once I start taking the pictures, I will have a lot of FUN. I still need to get the 72 mm polarizing filter. Anyone with any thoughts, and guidance is welcome to give ideas about filters, lenses, adopters, and anything else. I am excited to be a member of the Nikonian community!
A small baby with a big heart.

a4str Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2012Sun 26-Jan-14 05:29 AM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Custer WI, US

I initially rented a V2 with a 10-30 and 30-110 lenses to try them out before purchasing. I wanted a light travel kit for a 2 month trip in Europe last spring. I liked the grip on the V2 and with a wrist strap the camera was not going anywhere. I thought the images were very good. At that time I had a D7100 plus an assortment of lenses, which I like very much but was heavier than I could afford for this trip.

I purchased the V2 with the 10-30, 30-110, and 18.5 lenses along with the FT-1 mount to use all my F mount lenses and a GP N100 gps unit. The lenses together weigh a little less than the V2 and it seems the combined outfit weighed less than the body of the D7100 (have not actually done the comparison though). With this lens selection I could cover the effective 35mm focal lengths of 27 to almost 300mm.

I used this outfit extensively on that European trip and I was really pleased with the way this outfit performed. Here are only a couple of the many pics taken during that trip last May-June.

Herrenstrasse in the Altstadt (Old City) of Freiburg, Germany early morning on an overcast day. The purple flowers are wisteria.

NIKON 1 V2 1/100, f/5, ISO 160, lens 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 22.7 mm, 0 EV, Spot

Church of St. Francis, Cortona, Italy. As with the interiors of many churches the light was challenging. This picture was hand held but with the camera resting on the rail of one of the pews.

NIKON 1 V2 1/40, f/3.5, ISO 800, lens 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 10 mm, 0 EV, Pattern

One thing I noticed is a tendency of the back of the camera to get warm, sometimes very warm. It seems that having the LCD monitor on contributes to the warming of the camera. I generally use the viewfinder to shoot rather than the monitor so I use the DISP button to turn the monitor off.

Current Firmware is A 1.10 / B 1.10
available at
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18491/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzkwNzE3MDM2L3NpZC9fWTFzRmpMbA%3D%3D

I am really enjoying this camera.

Regards,

Bob

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

a4str Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Jun 2012Sun 26-Jan-14 05:29 AM
216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Just handled a V2"
In response to Reply # 0

Custer WI, US

I initially rented a V2 with a 10-30 and 30-110 lenses to try them out before purchasing. I wanted a light travel kit for a 2 month trip in Europe last spring. I liked the grip on the V2 and with a wrist strap the camera was not going anywhere. I thought the images were very good. At that time I had a D7100 plus an assortment of lenses, which I like very much but was heavier than I could afford for this trip.

I purchased the V2 with the 10-30, 30-110, and 18.5 lenses along with the FT-1 mount to use all my F mount lenses and a GP N100 gps unit. The lenses together weigh a little less than the V2 and it seems the combined outfit weighed less than the body of the D7100 (have not actually done the comparison though). With this lens selection I could cover the effective 35mm focal lengths of 27 to almost 300mm.

I used this outfit extensively on that European trip and I was really pleased with the way this outfit performed. Here are only a couple of the many pics taken during that trip last May-June.

Herrenstrasse in the Altstadt (Old City) of Freiburg, Germany early morning on an overcast day. The purple flowers are wisteria.

NIKON 1 V2 1/100, f/5, ISO 160, lens 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 22.7 mm, 0 EV, Spot

Church of St. Francis, Cortona, Italy. As with the interiors of many churches the light was challenging. This picture was hand held but with the camera resting on the rail of one of the pews.

NIKON 1 V2 1/40, f/3.5, ISO 800, lens 1 NIKKOR VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 @ 10 mm, 0 EV, Pattern

One thing I noticed is a tendency of the back of the camera to get warm, sometimes very warm. It seems that having the LCD monitor on contributes to the warming of the camera. I generally use the viewfinder to shoot rather than the monitor so I use the DISP button to turn the monitor off.

Current Firmware is A 1.10 / B 1.10
available at
https://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18491/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xMzkwNzE3MDM2L3NpZC9fWTFzRmpMbA%3D%3D

I am really enjoying this camera.

Regards,

Bob

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2152 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.