Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2126
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that mar..." Previous topic | Next topic
Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Mon 26-Nov-12 11:17 AM
3504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"

Cape Coral, US

Greeting me in my inbox was an ad for $1599 kit for $849, and not from some sleazy on-line rip off camera store but from B&H.

I really had no interest in a V1, but it was tempting none-the-less at that price.

But my question (given the assumption it is legit being B&H) is where all that margin comes from, with stores claiming Nikon cameras have so little margin in them. Does Nikon USA fund that kind of sale?

Or are the stores really making that kind of margin all the time, while normally holding to the manufacture's preset price mostly?

And oh... if you wanted a V1, check it out (I have no ties to B&H or Nikon).

Linwood

Comments welcomed on pictures: Http://captivephotons.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that...
Cavy2 Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
26th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
Captain Rich Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
jbloom Gold Member
01st Dec 2012
OldITGeek Silver Member
29th Nov 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
30th Nov 2012
Matto Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
mee4
03rd Dec 2012
wcguy Silver Member
03rd Dec 2012
j_gordon53
03rd Dec 2012
03rd Dec 2012
chroaz Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
ericbowles Moderator
05th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
15th Dec 2012
Ferguson Silver Member
15th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
15th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
jbloom Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
14th Dec 2012
nwcs Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
walk43 Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
14th Dec 2012

Cavy2 Silver Member Awarded for her continuing willingness to keep on learning and to share her knowledge with others in the Nikonians spirit Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 12:20 PM
4238 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Newtown, US

I received that email as well. I wasn't thinking I'd buy one, but at that price it sure is tempting. Wonder if a new model is on the way?

http://kathycavallaro.smugmug.com/

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Mon 26-Nov-12 01:49 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 26-Nov-12 01:50 PM by briantilley

Paignton, GB

>Wonder if a new model is on the way?

The V1's replacement - the Nikon 1 V2 - was announced a month ago. It should be in the shops soon

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 05:05 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I think the margin still fits in the "early adopter" side of the graph. Much of the camera market is keeping pace, slowly growing, and even contracting in some segments (especially compacts). So when there's an opportunity to pad prices with some margin they will do it.

But Nikon risks devaluing the brand in the consumer's eye by doing deep discounts like this for an item that isn't very old.

Captain Rich Silver Member Nikonian since 25th May 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 12:13 PM
1179 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Savannah, US

All I know is that when Amazon reduced the price of the V1 with 10-30 to $350, I finally got off the fence and bought one. To me this indicates where the "real" price of the camera lies.

Rich

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 01:49 PM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 4

Polegate, GB

It's more than likely that they are having a good clear-out before Christmas. When Amazon UK dropped their price to £449, I got off the fence and bought one too. When the FT-1 Lens Mount Adaptor dropped to £163 I got that too. Sorted!

Best wishes,

Dave

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 01-Dec-12 12:34 PM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 4

Wethersfield, US

I don't worry about whether the manufacturer is making a killing on the product, only whether the product is worth the asking price -- to me. Until the recent price drops, the V1 wasn't worth the asking price because it falls into the "nice to have but not really needed" category for me and because of its design weaknesses, as have been discussed previously on this forum.

The V2 would come a lot closer to making it for me, but with the price drops on the V1, that suddenly seemed to make the most sense. I got the 2-lens kit (V1, 10-30 and 30-110) from B&H for $500 and free shipping.

By deeply discounting the V1, Nikon lost a potential V2 sale to me in favor of the discounted V1. Maybe they don't care, though, as long as they are selling the Nikon 1 system to people.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Thu 29-Nov-12 10:34 PM
136 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 29-Nov-12 10:34 PM by OldITGeek

Mississauga, CA

In Canada Henrys dropped the price for the camera and kit lens to $369.

Bought one as I don't like riding my motorbikes with the D7000 and lens hanging from my side so the V1 will do great.

tried some test shots and I am impressed how good it is, its better then my p7100.

So if I bang it around a bit on the motorbike, I am not to concerned.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 30-Nov-12 04:25 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

>Bought one as I don't like riding my motorbikes with the D7000
>and lens hanging from my side so the V1 will do great.
>tried some test shots and I am impressed how good it is, its
>better then my p7100.
>So if I bang it around a bit on the motorbike, I am not to
>concerned.
><<<<
I use a black Rapid with my V1
It stops most of that banging and
it is easier to get it up to my eye for a quick shot.

Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Sun 02-Dec-12 09:47 PM
613 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Glenwood, US

B&H is now selling the V1 with the 10-30mm lens for $299, with free shippng. I just ordered one.

Matthew

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 10:50 AM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 9
Mon 03-Dec-12 11:07 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

You may all be interested in this post:

http://photographylife.com/what-went-wrong-with-nikon-1-v1#more-41688

Luckily I didn't really catch a big cold buying a mint second hand twin lens kit 2 weeks before the V2. I, like others, knew the V2 was coming. I paid £400 for the twin lens kit. That's £45 less than a new one now, so guess unless it breaks and because I have no warranty, my deal was ok. The trouble is the hopeless resale value when I come to upgrade to a V2, which I will. Anyway, that's not for a year so no worries.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

mee4 Registered since 31st Mar 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 02:25 PM
28 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 9

Winsford, GB

I was in the market for a general compact to carry around/keep in car rather than lugging my D300s and lens with me everywhere, noticed that B&H were selling it for $299 checked Amazon.Uk and they had it for £299, decided that I may as well get one of these at this price rather than a standard compact, it will be delivered tomorrow

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 07:17 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 9

CA

>B&H is now selling the V1 with the 10-30mm lens for $299,
>with free shippng. I just ordered one.

yes and I tried to buy one from B&H, but they won't sell the camera at that price to Canadians,due to manufacturers restrictions. WC

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

j_gordon53 Registered since 15th Feb 2006Mon 03-Dec-12 08:30 PM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chadds Ford, US

Yep, I ordered the V1 as soon as I saw that price. I think I will have fun with it. I also got the 18.5mm lens. Should be arriving tomorrow. I was looking at the P7700 or the canon G15 which are around the same price. Well, now to look at buying the FT-1 if all goes well. Take care.

No matter how flat you smash a pancake,
there are always two sides

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Mon 03-Dec-12 09:12 PM
3314 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 03-Dec-12 09:13 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

I have had endless “fun”, yes “fun” a word we tend to forget as we blind ourselves with the what ifs and wherefores of endless new models. Apart from being fun, it takes a darned good photograph, so great images + versatility to utilise our existing AF-S lenses = a great combination. I just hope that Nikon will steer a steady course now and consolidate their market place in the mirrorless market.

Sometimes we all think a bit too seriously about our Nikon's, but with the V1 or V2 we can relax and just have fun.

Enjoy your V1 and I'm sure you will

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

chroaz Gold Member Nikonian since 26th Apr 2009Tue 04-Dec-12 07:54 PM
665 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 14

Cave Creek, US

Yup, at under $450 shipped 2 day for the V1 w/ 10-30mm & 30-110 mm lenses from B&H just too good to pass up! Finally at the right price point for what it is. So I ordered it. Key for me was using the same battery as my D600 and D800.

Nikon must have a mountain of these in the warehouse to discount it so much. Don't need the features of the V2 or other "competitive" models - the perfect "pocket" camera for me, finally at the right price.

Chris

When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence.
- Ansel Adams

www.throughmeyelens.com

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 05-Dec-12 09:04 PM
8510 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I just picked up a second copy of the V1 from B&H at the $299 price for the kit. The lens is selling for $150 and the battery for $59, so the camera works out to $90. I'll just keep it with me instead of sharing one with my wife.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 12:47 PM
694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 16
Fri 14-Dec-12 01:35 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Eric,

I ALWAYS value your opinion

Do you think the Nikon 1 V1 with the FT-1 and a 70-200 VR and/or 300 f/4 would give good long tele results considering that the crop factor is 2.7 and the effective mm would be 918...1377mm using the TC-17EII.

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the frame....so just SHOOT."

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Fri 14-Dec-12 02:25 PM
3504 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 17

Cape Coral, US

>Do you think the Nikon 1 V1 with the FT-1 and a 70-200 VR
>and/or 300 f/4 would give good long tele results considering
>that the crop factor is 2.7 and the effective mm would be
>918...1377mm using the TC-17EII.

Just wondering why the V1 on the back end? Frame rate? (I.e. as opposed to your D800, since the weight/size advantage is kind of lost with all that glass/length/weight).

I don't pretend to know the answer to your question, more curious about the question itself.

Linwood

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 03:05 PM
694 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 18
Fri 14-Dec-12 03:07 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Well...I've been reading many birding sites this morning and the V1 is getting generally great reviews for the long tele reach using the Nikon FT-1 lens adapter.

The quality of the images I see on the web taken with the N1 V1 and a 70-200 VR and the 300/f4 look a lot better that what I get on the D800 .... if I have to crop the image to a 918 to 1300 FOV equivalent.

That would be calculated as the V1 with a 2.7 crop factor x a 1.7 TC at 200mm on a 70-200 VR. I see that capability (and the posted results) as a $500 solution to get a long tele capability with VR instead of buying a 200-400 VR for $7K. I know it will not give 'pro'results' and does not have the fantastic DR, ISO etc., etc. of my D800...but from what I have seen it gives very...very good results that I would be satisfied with.

I have 60 days to return it to B&H during the Holiday return schedule if it let's me down.

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

"My most rewarding photos are those that capture something I didn't 'see' in the frame....so just SHOOT."

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Fri 14-Dec-12 11:08 PM
#30. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 21

Cape Coral, US

Interesting, and thank you. I am surprised, as I think the pixel density should be about the same, that the D800 cropped is not as good. If you have opportunity, please try the exact same subject/light on both and show us once you get it.

Linwood

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 11:33 PM
#31. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 30

Pennsylvania, US

Will do Linwood!! And if my D800 outperforms the V1 in those tests you will know that the V1 will probably be going back to the store.

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 12:11 AM
#32. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 30
Sat 15-Dec-12 12:18 AM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Linwood,

I have seen some of your posts in the past and you impress me as a somewhat technical guy...(seriously). So here is some of the logic I have been using to justify trying out the V1 against the D800 for small birds and far off images. Maybe Eric will chime in also.

I shoot mostly macro/close-ups and have been working on shooting small birds at a distance. Therefore with my 70-200VR for example and a small bird at 30-40 ft I do not get the feather detail that I want. So see these tech info clips below that I just pulled from the web.

The first one is a measure of the pixel density of the D800 vs the V1.

The second one is a short explaination of how pixel density will help/hurt images of small size (details).

My thoughts are that the higher density of the V1 can produce better detail of small images. Be aware that most of you guys have much more tech knowledge than I do and sometimes I head off in the wrong direction until you set me straight....but at least I get straight eventually. Remember that I end up cropping very deep on small birds etc. at a distance.

Please ...please... correct me if I am looking at this incorrectly. But I find many articles and specs stating the same thing as these clips. I know that there are tradeoffs like DR and noise but that's for later unless they cancel out.

THX

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Ferguson Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Aug 2004Sat 15-Dec-12 03:02 PM
#33. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 32

Cape Coral, US

The first one is a measure of the pixel density of the D800 vs
>the V1.

I had not looked, and was not aware that the pixel density was significantly higher. My question had been motivated by thinking the V1 was primarily useful as "small and light", and wondered why this combination made sense, now I see.

I am curious to see what you find. With twice the pixel density by area, the width of each pixel should be about 70% as large on the V1 (4.80 vs. 3.38um, just looked it up).

Optics are not my thing, when I learned a photon could be in two places at once, and decided that being "uncertain" was the right answer to most optics questions.

One fact at play (and apologies if you already know) in your proposal may come down to diffraction limits. At F5.6 (a 1.7x stopped down slightly) the airy disk size is 7.5um (a good site is http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm)

If you believe the common guidance, diffraction limits become visual at 1-2 times and significant at 2-3 times the pixel width, and you are at 2x when at F5.6, and close to that at F4 (5.3um). Note lens type doesn't matter here, it's all about F-stop (though a bad lens degrades quicker of course).

I'm mostly quoting that page, I have no idea what that means visually, that's why seeing examples would be telling. There's also going to be less noise on the D800, especially as you raise the ISO to lower the F-stop to maintain shutter, which you'll probably need for tiny birds who for me never pose properly, or at least long enough in one place, but if nicely bright and wide open noise is unlikely to play a big role.

That's why I asked about frame rate, I don't know what the limitations are, but shooting 34fps might give you more choices of when pose, focus, stillness of subject all come together.

Again, all the above parroting what I read on line. I only know enough to know we're reaching the resolving limits on sensor size in visual light, but not how that translates. So looking forward to seeing some samples.

But given the above, it might be useful to shoot some combinations (especially of things with edges) at increasing F-stop and see when you think you can see diffraction limit stepping in.

But thanks for the info -- I had no idea it had that density. Offers some interesting possibilities. I'm starting to regret not buying one, but waiting for that next great lens that doesn't seem to be coming. It's going to be interesting times as sensor ISO limits and pixel density gets closer and closer to the maximums, I guess the engineering will go into new stuff, like the V2's various shooting modes, where it (sort of) starts capturing images before you shoot, and a bit after, just in case.

Linwood

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 06:31 PM
#34. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 33

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks Linwood....I'll let you know what I find!!

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 14-Dec-12 02:38 PM
6093 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"

Wethersfield, US

I'm sure Eric will have good advice since I know he has been using his V1 with teles for a while, but I was wondering the same thing so I went out this morning with the 300 f/4, TC-17EII, FT-1 and V1 and took a few shots from a tripod.

Here are a couple of 100% crops of test shots. (Yes folks, it's a brick wall test. Sue me.) The subject distance was, I'm guessing, about 100 meters:

@f6.7 (wide open):

@f/9 (stopped down one stop):

As you can see, it appears a little soft wide open. However, even on a tripod with pretty good shutter speed, it's darn hard to get shots with no camera-shake blur. Given the slow aperture that results from an f/4 lens and 1-1/2 stop loss through the TC, it will be hard to keep the shutter speed up, too. Frankly, while it's cool to be shooting at 1350-mm equivalent, I don't know how practical it would be. Better to lose the TC, get a little closer, and shoot with "only" 800-mm equivalent. (A lens with VR wouldn't hurt, either.)

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 14-Dec-12 03:01 PM
#20. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 19

Dyserth, GB

What a difference one stop makes! I haven't really had an opportunity to try out my FT-1 with my 300mm f4, or any other of my AF-S's for that matter. I am looking forward to doing this when the light improves. I notice that with all my VR lens fitted it runs permanently when the lens VR is switched on. This isn't a problem (apart from higher battery drain), but my 70-200mm VRI it is very noisy with VR on anyway, but with the dSLR at least it switches off when the shutter button is release from half way.

I think the V1 is what it is and doesn't really make any claims beyond its capabilities. What it looses out on is made up for by pure versatility. I think though the the V2 will be a good upgrade as it's repositioned the blessed multi-selector dial from the back and changed the up down button at the rear top. There is no body only option in the UK as yet either or any price for one.

Richard

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 03:14 PM
#22. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 19
Fri 14-Dec-12 03:41 PM by walk43

Pennsylvania, US

Thanks John and Richard ... as I responded to Linwood, my plan is to use it primarily with the 70-200 VR for a $500 investment (with the FT-1) instead of buying a $7,000 Nikon 200-400VR. I know it won't be as good but from what I have seen, is can be plenty good enough. And...I can return it if it fails me.

I can still cancel my order with B&H if someone can tell me why I shouldn't try this combo out.

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 14-Dec-12 04:48 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"

Knoxville, US

I was using the V1 with the 70-200 and 1.4TC and am getting really amazing looking shots. Totally worth it for the major crop. But the DOF characteristics are still the same. I got the updated 200-400 f4 and the 2.0 TCe3. Looking forward to playing with that next week: crop like 2160mm!!!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Fri 14-Dec-12 04:59 PM
#24. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 23

Wethersfield, US

Looks like we'll have to start giving equivalent focal lengths in meters instead of millimeters!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 05:28 PM
#25. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 23

Pennsylvania, US

You guys are getting me a bit excited! I have seem some really good bird shots on the web today and I hope it turns out the way I want, so I can get really good distant shots (small birds at 40-100 feet)with more IQ than possible with my current lenses (70-200VR and 300 f/4). I was thinking about a Bigma OS but then read about the V1 and the price drop to $299 at B&H.

If this does not work out I can return it but there is so much flexibility potential with my current glass that I have to give it a try. Really glad you are getting amazing shots. Can you post one or 2 with your 70-200 and TC14??? PLEASE...

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 14-Dec-12 06:22 PM
#26. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 25

Dyserth, GB

As an aside, I marvel over US consumer law, perhaps it isn't a law, but a flexibility afforded by US traders. It seems that I have read a thousand times how you lucky folks can try a product for up to 30 days and then decide that it's not for them, then send it back for a refund.

In the UK we have the "distant selling regulations", which allows us to return a product bought via the web, complete with undamaged packaging and the goods in "as purchased" condition for a refund. The difference seems to be that our limit only for 7 days which is so short compared to instances of 30 days I've seen in the US. In any event, the money can take 30 days to be refunded. I have never heard of anyone in the UK saying I'll buy it and if it's not me for I'll send it back, although I'm sure there are.

I do have a local camera shop who have e.g. changed a customers 50-500mm Sigma OS after 7 days for a 150-500mm because the 50-500 was found to be too heavy. Good established privately owned camera shops are the only one's I know who offer this and even then not always.

Richard

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 14-Dec-12 07:45 PM
#27. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 26

Knoxville, US

The return period varies by retailer. Some retailers it is set at 14 days. Some 7. Many retailers differentiate themselves by their choice of return policies. And the policy is usually different for electronic items from things like DVDs.

walk43 Gold Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 08:01 PM
#28. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 26

Pennsylvania, US

B&H in New York (where I ordered it) set up a policy on Nov. 18th that under their Hoilday Refund Policy any merchandise can be returned by Jan. 18th 2013. That was a 60 return policy of you bought it on Nov. 18th. My V1 has shipped and is scheduled to arrive on Dec. 18th...so I get 30 days from the day it arrives. Hopefully it will do what what I want it to do.

I also ordered a 3rd party grip and wrist strap along with the FT-1 adapter. So I should have plenty of time to test it out. The only thing I don't like about the V1 is that it does not have a built in flash (neither does the V2 for $900!) and the cheapest I can find it (Nikon only) is $135 unless the Craigslist person I contact will sell me theirs for $75 ...they are asking $100...sure hope they do. If the V1 doesn't work out I will have to sell the flash back on Craigslist but that is a minor inconvenience where I live to get my money back.

Dan (Nikon D800 & V2)

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 14-Dec-12 08:45 PM
#29. "RE: V1 kit almost half price at B&H? Where's all that margin from?"
In response to Reply # 28

Dyserth, GB

the SB-N5 flash is a bit difficult to master in my view! It seemed initially to have a mind of it's own in power terms. I had a lot of trouble finding the best aperture setting to get an even balanced exposure. Got it in the end.

It's a lot of money for what it is though, but that's Nikon.

Richard

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2126 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.