Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2124
View in linear mode

Subject: "First trip with the V1" Previous topic | Next topic
tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Mon 26-Nov-12 04:00 AM
122 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"First trip with the V1"

Ann Arbor, US

After recently purchasing the 300mm f/4, I decided that I had reached my limit on what I am willing to carry/spend on my photo adventures. In the never ending quest for more reach, I decided to try the V1 and am very pleased with the results. On a recent trip to Florida to shoot birds, I decided to leave the D700 at home and packed up the V1, FT1 mount, 300mm f/4 (with TC1.4 attached), and a 70-200mm f/2.8 VR (along with 10-30mm CX lens for snapshots). It all fit comfortably into a Think Tank Streetwalker backpack with tripod attached and was quite manageable.

I've posted some samples and would be interested in comments/feedback/impressions: http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=23655

Limitations/Tradeoffs: Getting birds in flight can be a challenge due to the AF limitations when using the FT1, but the alternative is to lug around the big/expensive glass. I did get a few decent action shots, but they were not quite as sharp as the stills. In the future I see myself still using the D700 for most shots, but for when that extra reach is needed, it's good to know I can (literally) pull the V1 out of my pocket to get there with good results!

Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 05:03 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: First trip with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Very nice! I had a similar experience when I was at Brookgreen Gardens in Myrtle Beach. I used a 70-300 on my V1 shooting some herons. Gave me some really nice pictures but handling can be a bit difficult. But ended up in the same place: when I want some special reach then I'll reach for the V1+FT1.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 27-Nov-12 03:27 PM
3394 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: First trip with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Dyserth, GB

Great shots and I'm extremely envious. I have the V1/FT-1 and the 300mm f4 too, but as the UK sinks ever lower into the floods as I write, the opportunities to get out and use it are extremely limited sadly

500 homes have just been evacuated 2 miles from me, so I mustn't grumble about photo opportunities!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2124 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.