Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2079
View in linear mode

Subject: "Is the 10-30mm lens enough?" Previous topic | Next topic
mel_klim Silver Member Charter MemberSat 10-Nov-12 03:12 PM
749 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"

Los Angeles, US

I'm thinking of getting the V1. The price of the V1 with 10-30mm is now $399. I intend to use the V1 for general photography when I want to go light. I have a D300, D700 and D4. Should I get the 30-100mm? Anyone use the 30-100mm the majority of the time?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?
buckreynolds
10th Nov 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
CyprusMike
11th Nov 2012
mel_klim Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
JonK Moderator
11th Nov 2012
eyciboy Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
17th Nov 2012
briantilley Moderator
17th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
17th Nov 2012

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Sat 10-Nov-12 10:51 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I've rarely used the 10-30. If I use a Nikon 1 lens it is always the 30-100. It is more flexible for most of the situations in which I find myself and does a nice job.

My true preference, however, is using the adaptor to add one of my DLSR lenses.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Sun 11-Nov-12 10:41 AM
537 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

Saddle river, US

Shooting with the 30-100 on the V1 gives a similar field if view to an 80-270 on your D700 and D4. Is that what you would want?

For me, I have the 10-30 on most of the time, and sometimes bring the 30-100 in my pocket.

CyprusMike Registered since 19th Aug 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 12:31 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 2

CY

I'm with Sabbey. I use the 10-30 as a standard lens - its effectively a 27mm-81mm in old speak. I too stick the 30-100 in my pocket - its just so small its not an issue.

Bear in mind though that my preferred standard lens on my D700 is my trusty old 17-35, so I do like a wide angle picture!

I hear rumours of an 18-35mm equivalent coming down the tracks for the One series - presumably a 7-11mm or thereabouts. Anybody know anything about this?

Best

Mike

mel_klim Silver Member Charter MemberSun 11-Nov-12 02:53 PM
749 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 3

Los Angeles, US

Thanks. I did buy the V1 with the 2 lenses kit on EBay for about $485. It's a store demo with about 500 clicks. My standard lens on my D4 is the 24-70mm and so I think the 10-30mm will be used the most.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 11-Nov-12 03:04 PM
4450 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

My most used lens over the years has been the 70-200 (80-200 in film days). So the 30-110 is the close equivalent on my V1.

And looking at your current glass, don't forget what the FT-1 adapter gives you:
• 135 f/1.8
• 230 f/1.4
• 365 f/2
• 189-540 f/2.8
That's a whole lot of fast glass you can't get for your FX/DX bodies!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

eyciboy Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Mar 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 06:51 PM
131 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 5

Toronto, CA

I use the 10 2.8 more than any other V1 lens. Second would be the 30-110 and then the 10-30. I find the image quality of,the 10-30 lower than the other two lenses. My 2 cents, Ray

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sat 17-Nov-12 12:47 PM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 6

Polegate, GB

I bought the V1 with the 10-30mm and 30-100mm lenses when Amazon UK knocked it down to almost half price. I haven't got going with it properly yet, but does anyone have any idea why Nikon chose these size lenses to sell with the body?

Dave

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sat 17-Nov-12 01:02 PM
28728 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 7

Paignton, GB

If by "size" you mean focal length, then the Nikon 1 kit lenses offer angles of view similar to those of 28-80mm and 80-270mm lenses on the 35mm/FX format - which gives you a "normal" zoom and a decent tele-zoom.

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sat 17-Nov-12 01:44 PM
168 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Is the 10-30mm lens enough?"
In response to Reply # 8

Polegate, GB

Thanks Brian, that is what I meant.

Dave

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2079 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.