nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2077
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 after a month and some really annoying issues!" Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member  Dyserth, UK  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009 Sat 10-Nov-12 09:03 AM
3637 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 after a month and some really annoying issues!"
Sat 10-Nov-12 09:05 AM by richardd300

There is no doubt in my mind that used in good light, preferably outside, the V1 performs very well. However I cannot get to grips with my newly added SB-N5 flash as it appears to have a mind of it's own. Or, rather the V1 does in telling the flash what to do. I have trawled the posts and thank David Busch for at least going some way to explaining flash settings:

<<* Flash synchronization. The mechanical shutter allows using electronic flash, such as the SB-N5 at shutter speeds up to 1/250th second; the electronic shutter can sync at speeds of only 1/60th second or slower. That makes the mechanical shutter the mode of choice in situations where the faster shutter speeds reduce the chance of “ghost” images caused by a secondary exposure from the ambient light.>>

OK, I get that and it works ok...ish. I am finding I have to switch the camera to manual then I have complete control of speed and aperture. This is fiddly and I must admit Nikon seem to have failed to provide a "fit flash and just click" solution for most purposes, a bit like a point and shoot camera. I dislike having to set the camera up before I can capture an indoor opportunity only to see it underexposed in the viewfinder and the moment lost. I have set the ISO to the Auto 100-400 range but still it's a bit hit and miss.
Anyone please who has a definitive answer to how to use the SB-N5 "simply", i.e. fit and flash would be very gratefully received.

As an aside, was the camera designed by a person with a slightly twisted sense of humour I wonder! I refer to the blessed mode dial that ends up either on movie when I want still or worse in between the two.

Although I am delighted with the V1 for outdoor use, I am becoming to think that my smartphone will become my camera of choice for indoors and the Nikon V1 for outdoors. I hope all these vagaries have been resolved in the V2.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2077 Previous topic | Next topic