Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2076
View in linear mode

Subject: "Help w/subject tracking with V1" Previous topic | Next topic
jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Sat 10-Nov-12 01:29 AM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Help w/subject tracking with V1"

Banning, US

I usually shoot landscape and macro with a DSLR. I do have a V1 and want to try some street photography with it tomorrow. It is now too dark to experiment so -- help!!!

With subject tracking, do I set the camera in AF-S or AF-C? I assume that I use single point focus. If I set it in AF-C, will only the first frame be in focus (hopefully) or will it continue to track and try to re-focus as the subject moves toward me?

I am thinking of photographing people, perhaps moving quickly as they move toward or away from me and want multiple focused images to choose from. I want to use about f/5.6 with ISO 400 to maybe 1600 depending upon the light and wanting to keep the shutter faster than 1/200th

Jerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1
dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community
10th Nov 2012
jerry r Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
12th Nov 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
14th Nov 2012
jerry r Silver Member
14th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
14th Nov 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
14th Nov 2012

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Sat 10-Nov-12 02:49 PM
11693 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

Hi Jerry,

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, set the camera to AF-C. The camera will attempt to track focus as the subject moves towards you.

Then in the shooting menu you can set AF-area mode to either “single Point” or “Subject Tracking”

With Single point you will need to keep the focus point on your subject as you track. With Subject tracking once focus is acquired the camera will use all focus points to track the subject.

Single point will probably work well for what you are doing but you may want to experiment with both.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014[/font

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Mon 12-Nov-12 12:16 AM
701 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Banning, US

Thanks, Dave, that is pretty much what I thought. I had a lot of misses even on the first frame. I think that I have to 1/2 press longer to be sure that I have focus to begin with when in AF-C. On the V1 it just doesn't seem to focus quick enough on AF-C before it starts shooting.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 12-Nov-12 03:58 AM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Yes, AF-C is where you need to be. The single point AF is what I use but you might consider subject tracking with face priority AF set. In practice with people I found that pretty effective. And in street photography where you are trying to be discreet any help in finding faces in focus is good.

Shutter priority with the A1600 ISO setting might be perfect.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 14-Nov-12 02:26 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

You should try shooting in the Smart Photo Selector mode. It shoots a burst of photos and picks the best 5. And you can choose which you like best out of that group.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

jerry r Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Oct 2008Wed 14-Nov-12 03:42 PM
#5. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 4

Banning, US

Glenn,

In Smart Photo Selector will the camera re-focus for each frame. I am often shooting moving subjects?

I am tempted to forgo the small camera for this type of street shooting and go back to either my D600 or D800 with faster focus and also a floor on shutter speed for auto ISO. Just hoping that I could find a solution to using the little guy.

Jerry

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 14-Nov-12 07:16 PM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

No, the SPS is not predictive. It's more of a solution for handholding issues than for subject movement. Although sometimes it can help with that by circumstance.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 14-Nov-12 08:58 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Help w/subject tracking with V1"
In response to Reply # 6

Arlington, US

For example I shot a bunch of pictures of a soccer game with it over the summer using this mode. And it was very nice to have the burst of shots to choose from. I felt like there were more keepers this way than I get shooting with my D7000 for example.

It's worth a try, right? You've got nothing to lose.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2076 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.