Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2016
View in linear mode

Subject: "V2: Really small!" Previous topic | Next topic
Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Wed 24-Oct-12 09:24 PM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V2: Really small!"
Wed 24-Oct-12 09:25 PM by Floridian

Tallahassee, Florida, US

If you look at the size of the V2, which I did at http://camerasize.com ,it is surprisingly (to me) small: smaller than the V1, much smaller than the Olympus OM-D, and even smaller (if you don't count the lens you need to attach) than the Fujifilm X10 that I just bought because it is so small.

If you use it with F-mount lenses it will lose some of that size advantage, but from the announcement this looks like a nice camera, one of the nice features being its size.

Randy

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V2: Really small!
jpFoto
24th Oct 2012
Floridian Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
nwcs Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
rbsandor Gold Member
25th Oct 2012
jpFoto
25th Oct 2012
Floridian Silver Member
26th Oct 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
27th Oct 2012

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 24-Oct-12 11:53 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>If you look at the size of the V2, which I did at http://camerasize.com ,it is surprisingly (to me) small: smaller than the V1, much smaller than the Olympus OM-D, and even smaller (if you don't count the lens you need to attach) than the Fujifilm X10 that I just bought because it is so small.

If you use it with F-mount lenses it will lose some of that size advantage, but from the announcement this looks like a nice camera, one of the nice features being its size.

Randy,

I totally agree with everything that you have pointed out. The V2 is .2 inches narrower, .3 inches taller, .1 inches deeper and a whopping .6 oz. lighter than the V1. Or:

4.2 Wide, 3.2 high, 1.8 Deep and 9.8 Oz.

On the other hand, the OM-5 is

4.8 wide, 3.5 high, 1.7 deep and 16 oz.

If you're looking at the OM-D5, then you have to look at the D3200 which has these dimensions:

5.0 wide, 3.8 high, 3.1 deep and 16 oz.

So, looking at those stats, if the V2 sensor comes in with some good scores, it would make sense for Nikon owners to buy one of these. If you read the posts in the non-Nikon camera forum, almost everyone agrees that the learning curve is intolerable with non-Niikon cameras, and I can attest to that. I threw my hands up in frustration after trying to learn the NEX-7, and that was a good camera.

I'm sorry that Nikon didn't decide to go down the 4/3 path, but after seeing what they did with the D3200 Dx sensor, it's possible that they can pull this one out.

But, what do I know?

jP

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Thu 25-Oct-12 01:19 AM
2716 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 1

Tallahassee, Florida, US

>...If you're looking at the OM-D5, then you have to look at the D3200...

Good tip, jp. I've thought about that, especially since I already have Nikon lenses. But, the M4/3 lenses are smaller, making the whole kit more portable. Really, though, I have only been looking at the OM-D, not buying, because when I add up the cost of outfitting it with lenses, it turns out to be a pricey proposition.

>...If you read the posts in the non-Nikon camera
>forum, almost everyone agrees that the learning curve is
>intolerable with non-Niikon cameras...

I know that too. I read that forum, and recently bought a Fuji X10 because I wanted something really small and easy to carry. I'm delighted with the size, the build, and the image quality... even though I can't figure out how to operate it!

>I'm sorry that Nikon didn't decide to go down the 4/3 path,
>but after seeing what they did with the D3200 Dx sensor, it's
>possible that they can pull this one out.

The V2 looks like an interesting camera. But here again, adding it to a DSLR kit means buying a new set of lenses, and if you're inclined to use the Nikon lenses you already have, then as you note, the D3200 is probably a better alternative.

Randy

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 25-Oct-12 12:11 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

That site is really cool! You can superimpose one model over the other.

Size is really not all that different from the V1. Although other than the grip it is a good bit thinner which is surprising.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 25-Oct-12 12:56 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

Yeah, that grip is mighty chunky! I was a little surprised by it as it makes it more awkward to have it in your pocket.

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Thu 25-Oct-12 02:30 PM
1411 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 25-Oct-12 05:42 PM by rbsandor

Denver, US

For $100.00 more for body only, I think the Olympus OMD-5 is a far more full featured body. There is also a far greater selection of small, fast lenses available from both Olympus and Panasonic. The one real downside to an M4/3 system is its inability to focus on fast moving subjects. If one is starting from scratch, there are decisions to be made. Richard

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 25-Oct-12 09:43 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Randy

I've been having a great time using your link. Thanks for posting it.

jP

Floridian Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Feb 2007Fri 26-Oct-12 12:58 AM
#7. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 6

Tallahassee, Florida, US

You're welcome, jp. It's a fun site! I was using it quite a bit over the past year because I wanted a smaller camera for times when I didn't want to carry my D300. It gives you a good idea of the relative sizes of cameras. (I ended up buying a Fuji X10 to fill that role.)

Randy

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 27-Oct-12 04:26 AM
4216 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: V2: Really small!"
In response to Reply # 7

Alberta, CA

I do see that the V2 body is shorter than the V1 aside from the EVF/Flash hump.

I'd say that is another feature on the positive side for the V2.

I'm not so interested in the OM-D or FujiFilm due to post-processing workflow. I'm a pretty much pure Capture NX2 guy, so I find the Nikon 1 RAW fits right in with my existing PP workflow.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #2016 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.