nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1963
View in linear mode

Subject: "Happy with the 70-300" Previous topic | Next topic
KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Tue 16-Oct-12 03:49 AM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Happy with the 70-300"
Tue 16-Oct-12 04:15 AM by KnightPhoto

I bought a 70-300 this spring for use as a travel lens on my big honking FX cameras but due to a series of circumstances didn't use it.

Then I did some bear photography and my results were poor (on a D7000) but light was low and shutter speeds insufficient.

Yesterday I glommed the lens onto V1/FT-1, stopped it down to f8, shot in manual exposure at ISO 800 and I was actually pretty pleased given what a light overall package it provided for an 810mm FOV. AF hunted a little too often but was accurate once it did focus:

Click on image to view larger version

Click on the photos for a larger image. Note I over-sharpened a couple (looks like my V1 needs sharpening ratcheted down a little from my DSLR norm) but was too lazy to go back and correct. Anyhow guys and gals I continue to LIKE my V1!

If only I had the sexy white model

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

richardd300 Silver Member  Dyserth, UK  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009 Tue 16-Oct-12 07:14 AM
3669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Happy with the 70-300"
In response to Reply # 0

Hi Steve.

My V1 twin lens kit arrives this morning! I have delayed the purchase as the D800 sapped my resources somewhat. Those images are amazing and if you had told me they had been taken with any Nikon dSLR I wouldn't have known the difference. It's also a testament to the often understated 70-300mm. Nice one.

All I've got to do now is save for the FT-1

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

KnightPhoto Gold Member  Alberta, CA  Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006 Tue 16-Oct-12 09:06 AM
4595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Happy with the 70-300"
In response to Reply # 1

Hi Richard,

Welcome to the V1 club! We seem to be on the same path very very often

I recently also got the D800E, not long after you got your D800. On that topic, the D800 seems a very good high ISO birding tool so far.

Anyhow the V1 with a mid-range telephoto seems a nice light carry option compared to what we are used to on DX and FX, but yes the FT-1 is a few bucks!

As an aside, I tried the FT-1 with my 500mm way back in April but believe it or not it was too much focal length - doesn't happen too often for us birders eh? But mating it with a 300mm and it seems a nice range.

Hope you enjoy the V1.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

richardd300 Silver Member  Dyserth, UK  Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009 Tue 16-Oct-12 10:46 AM
3669 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Happy with the 70-300"
In response to Reply # 2

Yes, we do seem to be following each other. My only disappointment has been, especially with the D800, that the UK weather has not provided good light very often lately. Wildlife has been very difficult, if not non-existent and landscapes bland and flat. In fact much of what I have done in landscape has been converted to monochrome.

Still awaiting my V1, so hopefully the postman will arrive soon. I missed out on a mint FT-1 yesterday for £100 (US$150) and they don't come up on e-bay that often.

I can't imagine a time where any telephoto is just too long!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1963 Previous topic | Next topic