Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1926
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 as a "Car Camera"" Previous topic | Next topic
benveniste Moderator Awarded for is high level skills in various areas, including Macro and Landscape Photography Nikonian since 25th Nov 2002Fri 05-Oct-12 12:32 PM
9518 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"V1 as a "Car Camera""

Boston Area, US

Perhaps somewhat infamously, I still use a Pronea S as my "car camera" -- it rides quietly in my car just in case a shooting opportunity comes along. I'm considering taking advantage of the Adorama offer on the V1 to replace it.

My question is pretty simple -- how long does the battery last when the camera isn't being used? Could I leave the camera in the car for a couple of months and still have it ready to rock 'n roll?

Thanks!

One of the biggest mistakes a photographer can make is to look at the real world and cling to the vain hope that next time his film will somehow bear a closer resemblance to it. - Galen Rowell

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 12:59 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 as a "Car Camera""
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I don't think it lasts for months but it does last a long time. An example. A week ago I had a 90% charged battery and my girlfriend and I went taking pictures (she using my V1). We took pictures for an hour or so, her using the LCD preview (which burns battery pretty quickly). I looked at the battery this morning and it's at 81%. I've found that it drains overall pretty slowly. I've seen it go a couple of weeks and still have some charge left. The power draw is minimal when not on so it's more about how long the EN-EL15 holds charge when inactive.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 10:14 PM
11501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 as a "Car Camera""
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

I am pretty sure that mine only gets charged about once a month or so. The battery life is very good.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Tue 16-Oct-12 03:59 AM
4281 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 as a "Car Camera""
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 16-Oct-12 04:00 AM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Just beware of video which draws the battery down severely. And BTW the camera gets hot when doing video.

I'd jump on one of those deals!

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1926 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.