Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1914
View in linear mode

Subject: "Low price for V1" Previous topic | Next topic
Matto Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Jan 2007Tue 02-Oct-12 01:16 AM
595 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Low price for V1"

Glenwood, US

Adorama is advertising a price of $399 for a V1 with the 10-30mm lens. I wonder what that means?

Matthew

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Low price for V1
pentwater Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012
TiggerGTO Silver Member
02nd Oct 2012
wcguy Silver Member
03rd Oct 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
nwcs Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Oct 2012
nwcs Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Oct 2012
nwcs Silver Member
05th Oct 2012
dm1dave Administrator
05th Oct 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Oct 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
06th Oct 2012
jpFoto
10th Oct 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
10th Oct 2012
KnightPhoto Gold Member
10th Oct 2012
jpFoto
11th Oct 2012
Speedybee
11th Oct 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
jpFoto
11th Oct 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
jpFoto
11th Oct 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
12th Oct 2012
jpFoto
12th Oct 2012

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Tue 02-Oct-12 12:50 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

New model would be my best guess. The fact that the J2 is not that much different than its predecessor (same sensor for example), I'd jump at it if I were in the market! It's quite a deal... About half what I paid!

Cheers,

Bill

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 02-Oct-12 03:37 PM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

Apparently you can also get the kit with both zooms for something like $650.

I certainly feel like I overpaid! But I am still happy with the camera.

I need to stop reading uninformed comments on Nikon Rumors though. But I suppose people just expose their own ignorance.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

TiggerGTO Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2006Tue 02-Oct-12 05:56 PM
2252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 2

Apex, US

Darn... I paid about $750 for the two-lens kit from B&H less than two weeks ago. So far I'm quite happy with the kit, but I would like it even better with another $100 in my pocket. I thought I was being smart by buying before the end of September to take advantage of a big discount being offered. Who know it would go even lower? B&H is back to the full list price, but they are also closed for the Jewish holiday season. I wonder what their price will look like when they open back up.

Danny
A Nikonian in North Carolina

wcguy Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Nov 2009Wed 03-Oct-12 02:55 PM
43 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 3

CA

>Darn... I paid about $750 for the two-lens kit from B&H
>less than two weeks ago. So far I'm quite happy with the kit,
>but I would like it even better with another $100 in my
>pocket. I thought I was being smart by buying before the end
>of September to take advantage of a big discount being
>offered. Who know it would go even lower? B&H is back to
>the full list price, but they are also closed for the Jewish
>holiday season. I wonder what their price will look like when
>they open back up.

I hear ya, I bought my truck a year ago for $56,000 and this year the same truck is $46,000 (of the same year of course). A camera that drops a few hundred doesn't seem all that bad. Its the sign of the times.Tell me anything that doesn't drop in price right after you purchase it or doesn't have a new model or upgrade shortly after you get it.You ever wonder why all our youth has stress and anxiety in their lives.Everything moves too fast anymore and no one takes the time to enjoy what they already have. WC

'ITS WHAT YOU LEARN AFTER YOU KNOW IT ALL THAT COUNTS'

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Fri 05-Oct-12 12:52 AM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

Nikon Rumors reporting that the V2 will be announced shortly. Which apparently accounts for the massive price drop on the V1. Not much info on likely specs yet.

Glenn

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 01:26 AM
6805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

Most likely, given the J2, it will be very minor. Probably everything the J2 got except for the screen the V1 already has.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 04:18 AM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

I wonder if it will have the buttons and pro features we have all been wanting? This go around I may not jump even though I'd like those features. The two things that bother me most about my V1 are absence of minimum SS in Auto-ISO and an ability to set Auto-1600.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 01:04 PM
6805 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

I can live without the minimum SS in auto. But what I'd like most in a V2:

1. Disable forced image review
2. Better sensor (always good!)
3. For the love of Pete, new lenses!
4. Easier not to turn the shooting dial
5. AF-C using the FT1 with more than just the center AF area
6. Updated menu system that makes a bit more sense
7. Dynamic brightness with a DOF preview button

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 01:19 PM
4090 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 8

Alberta, CA

+100 on your list! AF-C on the FT-1 and/or better sensor are the items that would cause me to upgrade. I like the 1 System. Guess I should get around to considering that 50mm f/1.8 equivalent, that alone should make for more professional results due to lower ISOs used.

How do you work around the minimum SS? I end up using Shutter Priority but I hate it. I always end up accidentally underexposing when I am out of light (unlike aperture priority with a minimum SS setting which just drops the shutter speed).

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 03:22 PM
#10. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 9

Knoxville, US

Most of the time I just switch to manual if I need to for that. Or I'll see that my SS is getting too slow and I'll manually raise ISO.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 05-Oct-12 09:59 PM
11071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 8

Lowden, US

Numbers 4 & 5 would be at the top of my priority list.

That shooting dial is a real pain.

Any AF-C using the FT-1 would be welcome even if we were still stuck on the center focus point.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 06-Oct-12 01:58 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 06-Oct-12 02:08 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

It means I will be keeping my V1 outfit for hikes, trips, jobsite, and candid photos.
The only reason I was selling was to raise money to pay for more D600 & D800 equipment that I have already bought.

Yes, The V2 is eminent, but I won't be getting one.
At less than half the price, the V1 is a much better deal.

Although a better, same size Aptiva Sensor May be included,
I expect only small improvement at a higher price like the J2.
1. on my list would be Baby Blue, I am not into Pink.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 06-Oct-12 09:29 PM
#13. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 7

Arlington, US

My guess is that the body will basically be identical to the V1 (no other dials/buttons). Just like the J2 is almost exactly the same as the J1.

Glenn

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Wed 10-Oct-12 10:25 PM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The prices are really, really low. I didn't want one of these, but I see that Amazon through Cameta has a 3 lens kit with a 32 gig card and a few other things for less than $745 shipped.

I was thinking of ordering a Canon G15 or something similar as my point and shoot, but at these prices, maybe the V1 3 lens kit is the way to go.

So, I guess that my question is, "Do you think that the Nikon 1 V1 is a good choice for a point and shoot?"

Thanks,

jP

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 10-Oct-12 10:39 PM
3087 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 14

Monterey Bay, US

All the Novices that I have loaned my V1 to have really loved it.
And they did not bug me about the settings.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 10-Oct-12 11:20 PM
#16. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 14
Wed 10-Oct-12 11:29 PM by KnightPhoto

Alberta, CA

Hi JP,

Yes the V1 makes a great point and shoot. Great package of features, fast AF, fast FPS, versatile, able to shoot completely silently in electronic shutter mode, big CPU and buffer capability. Compact 80-300 equivalent is a bonus. For me it fits into my PP workflow since it shoots Nkon Raw. Has some annoying handling issues but they can be worked around.

And due to its on sensor PDAF it is in some ways Nikon's most accomplished video camera and it accepts an external microphone which is a pro feature.

That deal you mention is fantastic. I might prefer a two zoom kit and get the 50mm FOV f/1.8 later but each to their own. I also have the flash and FT-1.

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 11-Oct-12 01:35 AM
1114 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 16

US

Roger and Steve

Thanks for your thoughts. I think that I might just order one since it seems like a heck of a deal for the price.

jP

Speedybee Registered since 29th Jun 2012Thu 11-Oct-12 07:52 AM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 17

GB

I took advantage of the price cut for the twin lens kit over here . The camera was much criticised when it was first released, unjustly in my view. The price now represents good value, whereas at launch it was probably a bit expensive. I have found the image quality very good and it represents an excellent back up for my D7000. If Nikon does release a V2 in the near future, it will possibly be at the premium price that most of their new products command.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-12 03:04 PM
#19. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 18
Thu 11-Oct-12 03:06 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I notice prices are creeping back up.
I don't think these will last long.
Current best deals:
Adorama two lens $649
Amazon $645

The main reason to get a DX over FX is reach.
2.7x CX beats that a ton and the DOF is also increased dramatically.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 11-Oct-12 06:26 PM
#20. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 19

US

Roger

I was all ready to pull the trigger until I started doing some research, and I was taken aback with the DXO Mark sensor ratings. The new Sony RX100 has the same size CX sensor with 24 mp and substantially higher ratings. Perhaps Nikon is going to put that sensor in the V2. Either way, I think that as good of a deal as it may be that I'm going to wait. I would rather pay a few hundred dollars more if there is going to be a significant improvement in the new camera, and technology in the sensor department seems to be on a tear lately.

jP

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-12 07:10 PM
#21. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 20
Thu 11-Oct-12 07:11 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

My understanding is that Aptiva (the manufacture of the 1 sensor)
has just come out with an upgrade (still 10MP)
that has much higher ISO and Movie capabilities.
I currently only use my V1 up to 3200 ISO.

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Thu 11-Oct-12 08:50 PM
#22. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 21
Thu 11-Oct-12 09:31 PM by jpFoto

US

>I currently only use my V1 up to 3200 ISO.

Roger

I thoroughly respect your opinions, but that is an incredibly high number based upon DXO's scores. Even the D2X had a higher ISO score than the V1, and anything shot above ISO 800 with the D2X was strictly a snapshot unless alot of noise lent itself to the photo.

Here's a link to DXO's test results:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Compare-Camera-Sensors/Compare-cameras-side-by-side/(appareil1)/812%7C0/(brand)/Sony/(appareil2)/745%7C0/(brand2)/Nikon/(appareil3)/207%7C0/(brand3)/Nikon

(If you use my link, you have to click on "Compare up to 3 items under View Comparisons.)

Nikon has used Sony sensors in the past and has actually improved upon the results. I don't think that Sony had the CX sensor when they made the V1, so maybe we're going to get a pleasant surprise.

jP

Edit: Don't get me wrong, the Nikon 1 has incredible scores for such a small camera. It beats the pants off of all of the better P&S's like the P7100. And, my comparison with the D2X is really a compliment since that camera was the creme de la creme of professional cameras a few short years ago and is still a strong contender at base ISO and slightly higher. I still haven't ruled out the V1 since the new price covers the original price of the three lenses, so the body is almost free, and "free" is always a good thing.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 12-Oct-12 03:08 AM
#23. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 22

Monterey Bay, US

I stand corrected.
The ISO 3200 I use as a max setting is for Videos
At 1600 ISO the stills are useable but as bad as the D2x was at 800.

I for one will really be surprised if the V2 has a 24 MP Sony CX Sensor.
I expect Nikon to use the new improved Aptina

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Fri 12-Oct-12 09:42 PM
#24. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 23
Fri 12-Oct-12 09:47 PM by glennaa11

Arlington, US

Of course it also depends a bit on what you plan to do with the pictures you shoot.

I paid something like $1150 (or maybe a little more) for the V1 plus the two basic zooms (10-30 and 30-110) and the 10mm pancake. So if it is out there for $400 less that is quite a deal.

I have been more than pleased with the real world pictures it takes. A lot of that has been with a tripod at low ISO or in bright daylight though to be perfectly fair about it.

Here are a couple of HDR's shot with the V1 on a trip to Montreal

Glenn

jpFoto Registered since 25th Jun 2010Fri 12-Oct-12 10:22 PM
#25. "RE: Low price for V1"
In response to Reply # 24

US

Glenn

Those are very nice shots! You make a good case for purchasing a V1.

jP

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1914 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.