nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1902
View in linear mode

Subject: "Concert photogrpahy with the V1" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 26-Sep-12 03:28 AM
8916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Concert photogrpahy with the V1"

Atlanta, US

I just got back from the ACM Honors show at the Ryman in Nashville. The Ryman is a great concert venue, but does not readily permit DSLR cameras and big lenses. I used the V1 with the 30-110 lens and had pretty good results at ISO 1600. I was generally shooting at 90-110mm. It was always handheld. I quickly moved to manual exposure mode - 1/50 sec and f/5.0 most of the time.

Overall I was pleased with the performance. ISO 1600 is beyond where I would want to use the V1 - ISO 400 is my normal limit but I needed more shutter speed.

Here are a few sample images.

Here is Kelli Pickler sporting her receetly shaved head. She shaved her head because a close friend is about to start chemo treatment.

This is Hunter Hayes a/k/a Dwight Yoakum's lead in

And Rodney Crowell

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1
VR8 Silver Member
26th Sep 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
26th Sep 2012
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography
28th Sep 2012
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography
28th Sep 2012
pentwater Silver Member
28th Sep 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
28th Sep 2012
buckreynolds
28th Sep 2012

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Wed 26-Sep-12 12:15 PM
774 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Ottawa, CA

Great shots. Some of my concert shots had to be done with the V1 for the same reasons. Outdoors, similar results. The V 1 sure has its place!

Victor

My website: www.rakmilphotography.com

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 26-Sep-12 05:26 PM
5080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

These are great photos. Regarding the ISO, we use what we have to — and you were lucky that the light was that good!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 28-Sep-12 01:28 AM
6892 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

I hope Nikon has a 90 or 100mm f2.8 prime lined up for the 1 series. The system needs a lot more lenses, and some faster ones. But may not be the target market they're looking for, though.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 28-Sep-12 02:28 AM
5080 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

While a lot of us would like fast glass, the problem is thatas they get fast they get big. And that may not fit with the Nikon 1 direction.

You can always use the FT1 with any of the 50mm ( 135mm effective) or 85mm (229mm effective). The 85mm f/1.4 lens gives you a super fast, super quiet, super reach system!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Fri 28-Sep-12 04:32 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

Very nice captures, Eric! I like my V1 despite the detractors. I've gotten nice images at ISO 2000.... not show images but great for the web, family and friends.

Best,

Bill

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Fri 28-Sep-12 06:08 PM
8916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Atlanta, US

Thanks, everyone.

I considered using other lenses but the 30-110 was a good focal length. Most of my shots in this venue were from 80-110mm. I

In an ideal world I might have used the 70-200 and FT1, but the lens likely would not have been permitted. An 85mm f/1.4 or f/1.8 would have been another option, but a bit limiting.

I also shot a little video which was a nice positive.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

buckreynolds Registered since 12th Jan 2009Fri 28-Sep-12 07:30 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Concert photogrpahy with the V1"
In response to Reply # 6

US

It is great that you can shoot video and stills concurrently.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1902 Previous topic | Next topic