Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1889
View in linear mode

Subject: "FT1 adapter" Previous topic | Next topic
Speedybee Registered since 29th Jun 2012Fri 21-Sep-12 01:44 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"FT1 adapter"

GB

I am thinking of buying the FT1 to give my V1 more reach. I quite like to shoot moving subjects such as wildlife and aircraft. The problem as I see it is that your are limited to fixed starting point focus with your f mount lenses if you wish to shoot in bursts. Has anyone experience with this and have they found decent results,or a work around please?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Fri 21-Sep-12 08:56 PM
11071 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: FT1 adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

There are two significant limitations in using the FT-1 for any moving subject.

The biggest problem is that you will not have the ability to track focus (no AF-C mode.) So, if your subject moves closer to or further away between the time focus locks and the shutter releases you may lose focus. The V1 shutter release is not quite as responsive as a DSLR.

I have also found the contrast-detect AF could be a little slow in acquiring focus. I found it difficult to get focus before a bird (walking shore bird) moves out of the frame.

For moving subjects you may be better served by getting a longer lens or a TC to use with the 70-200 and your D7000.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Underwater | Online Assignments| Best of 2014

Speedybee Registered since 29th Jun 2012Sat 22-Sep-12 04:14 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: FT1 adapter"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks, that was just the sort of user knowledge I was looking for. The V1 has it's limitations but it is good at what it is ultimately made for. Perhaps we shouldn't try to push it too far. I will have to save a bit more for a longer, faster lens for my D7000 I think, rather than a T/C.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1889 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.