Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1844
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mechanical vs Electronic shutter" Previous topic | Next topic
kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 09-Sep-12 05:34 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mechanical vs Electronic shutter"

Burnaby, CA

According to David Busch's field guide, p12 "Images taken with an electronic shutter also tend to have higher levels of noise, a grainy texture appears during the processing of the image"

Has anyone seen any mention of this anywhere else, or observed it in practice? If true it would mean that J1 images would be lower quality than with the V1 using the mechanical shutter.

I usually use the mechanical shutter but there are some applications (astrophotography, plays, hummingbirds etc) where I would prefer to use the electronic shutter

Ken

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 09-Sep-12 06:44 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mechanical vs Electronic shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Honestly, I haven't seen any meaningful difference between the shutter types. And it doesn't logically make sense anyway. All that matters is how many photos are counted in the light wells on the sensor. What difference does it make whether the shutter mechanically closed or the timer says to stop counting?

Now maybe he's seeing something I am not but I've used both a lot on the V1 and haven't seen any meaningful difference.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1844 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.