nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
buckreynolds

US
32 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009
Thu 06-Sep-12 11:07 PM

Hello:

I generally do portraits. However, my daughters are competing in gymnastics and I am trying to capture good images of their efforts. I have used my D90 with the recent 85 1.8G, and when they are in range, the results are very nice. I get some subject isolation and pleasant colors.

However, gymnastics is not often a convenient sport for spectators. It is spread out all over the place. I want to reach out a bit.

Two approaches occur to me. A longer lens would certainly do the trick, though speed is at a premium because the lighting is universally poor in these gyms. That makes the longer lens costly.

Or, I could get a used V1 with adaptor, and slap my 85mm lens on that. I end up with the much discussed smaller sensor and the huge crop factor.

I wonder which approach you would recommend. Thank you in advance for your response.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Shooting long

G