nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1785
View in linear mode

Subject: "J1 night photos - please help" Previous topic | Next topic
tubs32 Registered since 10th Aug 2012Wed 22-Aug-12 05:28 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"J1 night photos - please help"

US

Hi. I am trying to figure out how to get my J1 to take photos in very low light situations. Exactly what setting should I use? I have it set to auto to go up to 3200. But in low light, the focus that typically turns into a green rectangle just turns into a red rectangle and I am unable to take a photo. I plan on taking this camera to Maui and I need to know how to take sunset photos as well as at a luau where I cannot use a flash. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 22-Aug-12 04:43 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: J1 night photos - please help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

A couple of things:

Low-light photos and high ISO encourage handholding. Convenient, but will not deliver optimal (or depending upon the circumstances, even acceptable) image results. Colors will be washed out, sharpness will be impacted by sensor noise, dynamic range will be reduced (highlights that normally will be "held" are totally blown), etc. That's simply a caution because this is a sensor that is smaller than APS-C.

For sunsets - you might be able to get away with handholding depending upon the time and how low the sun is on the horizon. Generally, metering is more the challenge in this case than anything else. I tend to switch to centerweighted, pick a spot in the sky 1-2 diameters "away" from the sun - pick left or right as long as it's a clear view of the sky (nothing in between or on the horizon), meter off that and lock the exposure using AE-L, then re-frame and take the composition. For this, I would NOT use Auto ISO, but rather, move ISO to an acceptable setting (i.e., 400) and let the exposure fall where it needs to. Overall, I'd prefer to shoot off a tripod or monopod - it forces me to think about the composition - which could mean the difference between a "meh" sunset and a gorgeous one.

Luaus - challenge is two-fold. Let's start with the shutter speed. Assuming you're only using CX lenses, the fastest one is the 10mm f2.8. Knowing the lighting at these things, it will not be fast enough in some cases even at A3200. Shoot S-Priority, so you can see what the minimum shutter speed is allowed without underexposing (the "Low" warning in the viewfinder). If it's less than 1/60 of a second, your dancers and fire-breathers, etc., will be blurred. Time to pop the flash at that point.

The other challenge - focus. The Nikon 1 is a one-trick pony, really, with the Phase Detect on the sensor. In good light, it's really slick. At a night luau? It's going to revert to Contrast Detect which makes it act just like any other compact - in other words, not so quick or well. A field trick - turn Face Detect ON. In some cases, FD will kick in first, giving the Contrast Detect a clue about what to look for. It somewhat hastens the lock-on. A red rectangle means focus doesn't have enough light or contrast to figure out the lock-on, OR you're inside minimum range for the lens. In your case, it's probably going to be the former. Worst case, get out of auto-area AF, switch to single-point and drive the focus point to a feature that is best lit and has good edges/contrast. AF-A spoils us too much at times.

Your alternative to fast lenses is to couple the J1 with the FT-1 and an f1.4 or f1.8 lens. Your choices are pretty limited because of the 2.7x crop - even a fast wide like the new 28mm/1.8 AFS G will act like a short tele. On the other hand, that might not be a bad thing - an 85mm f1.8 G will give you a 233mm Field-of-View at a very fast aperture - that would normally cost you four figures easily in 35mm format!

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

tubs32 Registered since 10th Aug 2012Fri 07-Sep-12 05:27 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: J1 night photos - please help"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Thank you for all the suggestions Covey22. I ended up selling my whole J1 lot last week. I just don't think it's the camera for me. I have a different camera on pre-order that claims it takes very good photos in low light. Hopefully I'll be successful with that one. Thanks again for all your tips - I appreciate it.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 07-Sep-12 07:20 PM
10884 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: J1 night photos - please help"
In response to Reply # 2

US

No problem. Curiosity, what camera did you go to?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

tubs32 Registered since 10th Aug 2012Fri 07-Sep-12 07:45 PM
#4. "RE: J1 night photos - please help"
In response to Reply # 3

US

I pre-ordered the Sony NEX 5R that comes out mid-October. The reviews of the 5N look great and the new features of the 5R look great as well. Hopefully it will work out for what I want in a little camera.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1785 Previous topic | Next topic