Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1766
View in linear mode

Subject: "Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 14-Aug-12 08:28 PM
6880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"

Knoxville, US

I think most of us who use the Nikon 1 series also use the FT1 adapter. In fact, it's probably the most compelling feature for some of us. So that got me thinking, what lens(es) do you find yourself using with the adapter frequently?

For me, I've found that I use the 70-300 VR a lot. It gives me a lot of apparent crop very conveniently in a light package. Something I can take into ballparks and get really nice shots.

I'm also finding that using my macro lens is giving me some interesting shots I wouldn't catch with my D800 without big crops.

Poll result (46 votes)
70-200 f2.8 (16 votes)Vote
70-300 VR (12 votes)Vote
400 f2.8 or longer lens (1 votes)Vote
105 f2.8 or other macro (3 votes)Vote
24-70 f2.8 (1 votes)Vote
Other (13 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter
wblink
15th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
wblink
16th Aug 2012
Neuritis Silver Member
16th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
ericbowles Moderator
20th Aug 2012
bjj Silver Member
20th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
21st Aug 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
21st Aug 2012
OldITGeek Silver Member
24th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
26th Nov 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
nwcs Silver Member
27th Nov 2012
          Reply message RE: Sigma 150-500 with the FT1 Adapter
TwoMetreBill
06th Jul 2013
nwcs Silver Member
06th Jul 2013
richardd300 Silver Member
09th Jul 2013
ckatosmith
12th Jan 2013
Jamy1946 Gold Member
22nd Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
26th Aug 2012
just4fun
31st Aug 2012
buckreynolds
26th Nov 2012
tegel Silver Member
26th Feb 2013
stevoxt
26th Feb 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
10th Jul 2013

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Wed 15-Aug-12 07:48 AM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 16-Aug-12 03:30 PM by wblink

Gendt, NL

I voted 105 macro or other.
Just "other" is important to me, it is the AFS DX Micro 40 mm 2.8 G.

Why use an FX if DX is already to big/expensive/heavy for the sensor in use. AND 40 mm makes a nice FX eq of 100mm: nice ...

Willem

Sony Nex-7

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 16-Aug-12 04:36 AM
6880 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Interesting how many people are using the 70-200 with their Nikon 1. Honestly it was te first lens I used. But I found that I wanted serious length. I'd love to get my Sigma 150-500 working! But 300 VR gave me better results than the 70-200 with the 1.4 tc.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Thu 16-Aug-12 03:43 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 2

Gendt, NL

>Interesting how many people are using the 70-200 with their
>Nikon 1.

I think that was to be expected. It is 1 of the most used (and best) lenses Nikon made.

I didn't up/downgrade: I sold my D3X will ALL gear (and that was much and recieved about $12000 for it) and then switched to my V1.

My argument is weight. The last time with my D3X (Septmber 2011) I went into Norway to see and photograph the Northern Light. It was a very nice and succesfull trip, but I remember the flight.

Normally I like those flights, killing 2 hours in Oslo (eating, drinking) another hour in the next airport. But my backpack with my gear in it ruďned the pleasure totally: HEAVY, HEAVY, feeled like WORKING in my holiday: that made me sell the stuff.

So I choose. And IF I would choose a tele it would be 1 with 2.0 (like thee 200).

But I would like a wide angle like 7mm for my V1.

AND a V2 ....

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Thu 16-Aug-12 10:33 AM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Livonia, US

I love using the 70-200mm and when I rent it the 200-400mm but my fav is the 35mm f/1.8. I like the focal length and size.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 17-Aug-12 04:16 AM
#5. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

Hadn't thought of the 35 f1.8 before. That would be a nice portrait crop really.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 20-Aug-12 12:08 PM
8816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

My favorite is the 300 f/4 AFS - for birding. The combination provides an effective 810mm f/4 that can be handheld. And it is a light enough kit to carry.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops - Smokies Oct 2012

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

bjj Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jan 2009Mon 20-Aug-12 08:23 PM
58 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Ryde. Isle of Wight, GB

Hi Neil,

Had to comment as I have tried my V1 & FT1 with a few of my lenses:
The Sigmonster - understandably has to be used on a tripod but no VR and a focal length of 2160mm!!!! Quite remarkable, but very very difficult to achieve outstanding results, however its fun trying and I am getting better.
The Nikkor 70-300 VR - very reasonable results possible but still very difficult to achieve handheld. On a tripod a whole new ball of wax, what a combination!! With something to rest on this is an unbeatable combination if weight is an issue! I don't believe the VR can cope too well with an effective focal length of 810mm. (Anyone with any views on this?)
The Nikkor 18-200 VR - got some nice results handheld not tried on the tripod but always went back to the 70-300!!
So you may have guessed my vote went for the 70-300 VR

All the best Brian

If in doubt shoot it! There will never be a second chance.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 21-Aug-12 02:06 AM
#8. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 7

Knoxville, US

Wow, I hadn't heard of anyone trying this on a sigmonster! I'd love to see a pic of that!

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Tue 21-Aug-12 04:30 PM
573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 8

Saddle river, US

35/1.8 ... 85/1.8 equivalent (ex-DoF)

OldITGeek Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 02:44 AM
144 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 8

Mississauga, CA

I just ordered a V1, with the FT-1, and I have a Sigma 150-500.

Will try it in a couple of weeks and see what it produces.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 07:15 PM
#14. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 13

Knoxville, US

Unfortunately the Sigma 150-500 doesn't work with the FT1 adapter.

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Tue 27-Nov-12 03:08 PM
173 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 14

Polegate, GB

I thought I'd let you know that my Sigma 10-20mm f4-5.6 works very well on my V1. Not that I need to use it as I have the (almost) equivalent Nikkor V1 lens.

Hope this helps,

Dave

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 27-Nov-12 05:10 PM
#17. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 16

Knoxville, US

I think I've read that only Sigma lenses with OS (optical stabilization) won't work.

TwoMetreBill Registered since 23rd Apr 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 05:30 PM
231 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#21. "RE: Sigma 150-500 with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 14

Erie, US

Just wondering if you have any new news since your last posting.

1. Since Nikon has updated the FT1, is it now working for you?

2. Is your Sigma 150-500 the OS version?

3. Is your serial number 7 digits starting higher than 1061003?

I've seen other posts on DPReview which indicate the latest versions of the lens do work and that older ones higher than the serial number in question 3 can be upgraded inexpensively by Sigma (about $50 including return shipping).

Thanks,
Bill

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 06-Jul-13 07:19 PM
#22. "RE: Sigma 150-500 with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 21

Knoxville, US

I ended up selling the 150-500 so I can't test it. I read that Sigma worked around the problem but the newest firmware update broke compatibility again.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 09-Jul-13 11:00 AM
3491 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#23. "RE: Sigma 150-500 with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 22

Dyserth, GB

I voted for the 70-300mm VR, however if it had been on the list, my vote would also be for the AF-S 300mm f4.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ckatosmith Registered since 25th Aug 2007Sat 12-Jan-13 03:09 PM
143 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 8

Washington state, US

I had posted my use of the FT-1 with the Sigma 300-800mm here:

http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=set_threaded_mode&forum=419&topic_id=897&prev_page=show_topic&gid=897#924

Equipment and technique are important,
Vision is supreme,
Passion the reason...

CarolinaSmith.com

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Wed 22-Aug-12 02:02 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Chonburi, TH

70-200 VRI with the Kenko 1.4x Teleplus Pro 300 DGX for birds.

I moved the 105VR to the D5100 (no AF-C and center AF only a pain in macro)

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 26-Aug-12 02:33 AM
#11. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Interesting results. I wouldn't have guessed the 70-200 VR at all. I used it for a bit on my V1 but it's kinda funny to use, lol.

just4fun Registered since 29th Mar 2012Fri 31-Aug-12 08:05 PM
14 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 11

US

I frequent use 24mm f1.4G and 300mm f2.8G and get great results.
Sonny

buckreynolds Registered since 12th Jan 2009Mon 26-Nov-12 11:57 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

US

50 mm 1.8 with manual focus. It slows me down and makes for a very pleasant stroll down a photogenic street.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

tegel Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2005Tue 26-Feb-13 04:39 AM
162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#19. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 15

Ann Arbor, US

I'm liking the 24-120mm f/4 VR lately. It provides a decent zoom range in a small package. Here are some shots from the Ann Arbor Folk Festival in last month. I was fairly close (row G) and was able to get some decent results wide open at high ISO (800-1600) zoomed to about 100mm.

http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=24308&ppuser=78480

Comments welcome.

Tom
Ann Arbor, MI

stevoxt Registered since 07th May 2010Tue 26-Feb-13 10:43 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#20. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

belfast, GB

Hi,

Has anybody tried the 18-105 VR lens with the adapter,

Stevie

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Wed 10-Jul-13 12:53 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: Favorite lens to use with the FT1 Adapter"
In response to Reply # 0

Montreal, CA

I would have to vote for the 70-200mm f2.8 & other for having gotten terrific results with the 18-200mm DX hand held. The latter is a nice light and compact combination..

I would also like to add that I recently took the V1 with the 10-30mm and the 10-100mm PD on a field trip in Switzerland and Barcelona. I was rather pleased with the results and posted some images in my Nikonians Gallery if you want to take a look here:

N1 V1 Gallery:

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Welcome to my Gallery:

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1766 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.