Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1734
View in linear mode

Subject: "So what do you love about the Nikon 1?" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 09-Aug-12 03:43 PM
6823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"

Knoxville, US

I've had my V1 for several months now and it competes for time with my D800, my iPhone, and my re-emerged interest in film. So it got me thinking, what keeps me coming back to using the Nikon 1?

For me, it comes down to several things:

1. Light weight: LOVE the size of this thing. I use a ThinkTank Retrospective 5 shoulder bag which makes it very easy to carry this camera around with several lenses.
2. Quality: I'm convinced the image quality is the same as my old D200 and that is really good.
3. Discreteness: It's easier to take the V1 into a ballpark and get great shots without the disapproving/disallowing glances of site security that allow compact cameras but not DSLRs.
4. Shareability: When I go somewhere with my girlfriend I let her use it. She's really enjoyed using it. It encourages her to experiment and become interested in photography by doing and not just looking.

So what are the things you love about the Nikon 1 series?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?
PerroneFord Silver Member
09th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
jbloom Gold Member
16th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
17th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
09th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
buckreynolds
12th Oct 2012
CyprusMike
14th Oct 2012

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Thu 09-Aug-12 04:24 PM
2561 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

I've had mine for months, but have only played with it a bit. I am really going to start using it more this month. For me, as a sports shooter, it comes down to a few things...

1. It's silent if I want it to be. For golf, or other times when you need to be ABSOLUTELY discreet, this cannot be over emphasized.

2. It shoots 10fps (or more with caveats).

3. The crop factor allows me to carry FAR smaller lenses, with much less weight. For the first time in my life, I am really considering buying one of the superzooms. Because on this camera, being able to go from 50mm-500mm equivalent is a real possibility. That has me VERY thrilled.

4. It shoots video. And it can shoot video and stills at the same time. This will be HUGE for swimming and diving when I start shooting that later this year.

5. It's tiny. I can put a superzoom and the camera with adapter in a small tourist sized bag and have all I need for the day.

I think this thing is going to get a LOT of use for me.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 12:13 PM
6823 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

I forgot about the silent shutter. That is a great thing to have at times. I'd love to shoot a golf tournament sometime but don't have any connections for that. Although this fall I am lucky to maybe do some high school football. I may try the V1 with the 70-200 f2.8 for some fun!

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Thu 16-Aug-12 08:05 PM
6602 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 1

Wethersfield, US

I realize this post is a week or so old, but I have a couple of questions/concerns. As a sports shooter, I've been lugging around a D3 and a D7000, and now I'm contemplating the V1 as a lighter-weight option.

• Your point about silent golf shooting is well taken. It might be worth having just for that alone!

• I'm wondering about the usefulness of the superzoom option you mentioned for sports use. As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong!), when using the FT1 adapter only AF-S autofocus is enabled. That seems pretty limiting for sports use, although there are surely some shots you could get of unmoving subjects.

• You mentioned using it for swimming and diving. In the high-school venues in which I shoot, a D3 and f/2.8 lens struggle to get stop-action shots at sensible ISOs. I wonder if the slower CX lenses and lesser ISO performance would really work for that application?

Any thoughts you have on these issues would be most welcome!

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 17-Aug-12 03:15 AM
#6. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 5

Knoxville, US

I can't answer all your questions but I can add some thoughts...

1. No, if you were going to use the V1 for swimming and such you'd still want the FT1 adapter and a fast lens. The thing is that you could probably use an 85 f1.4 lens which will give you the crop of a 230mm f1.4 lens. That might be mighty fine in certain situations. Or pair it with a 200 f2 for something really tight and fast.

2. Yes, you'd have to adjust your shooting style. AF-S isn't much of a limitation, though, with planning. I mean people covered fast sports before AF was invented. You'd just have to tap the shutter a lot.

3. I gotta say the burst rate is VERY nice. The only downside is the mandatory image preview after a shot.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 09-Aug-12 06:46 PM
10705 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Nikon 1 is all about lighter kit. We're paying a premium to get near DSLR like performance in a smaller body. In the summer heat and crowded venues, it's a great alternative to carrying a D-class body and heavy zooms.

The 30-110 is one of those sleeper gems that no one believes until they've handled one themselves and see what kind of image quality it delivers. What a great zoom, and ED elements and VR in that tiny a package.

The missus doesn't care at all for using my DSLRs and when I hand her the J1 with the kit zoom, she actually nodded in approval. More importantly, it worked right out of the box for her and she could figure it out without asking me one question. While it has foibles in terms of operational use and interface, none of them are truly fatal for enthusiasts either.

The big sell feature is really the AF. Even long-time compact users don't believe me when I tell them "I got the shot" and all they have is a half-blurred or post-decisive moment frame. Then I hit the play button and they scratch their heads. Then I smile and show them how fast it really is in Continuous Frame. The next thing I know, it's getting passed around and it's Nikon Q&A time.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 12:14 PM
#4. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 2

Knoxville, US

You're right about the 30-110. I was surprised when I first used it to get some bears in Cades Cove. To my eye it performed almost as well as the 70-300 VR in a much smaller package. I was very happy with it.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 11-Oct-12 03:17 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Portability: V1 with 10-30 lens it fits in my large pockets.
Very easy to travel with.

Focus: High speed and accurate.

DOF: I can get everyone in focus in a group shot.
Also good for Landscapes although not giving the detail of a D800.

Compatibility: V1 shares battery and memory cards with my D7000, D600 and D800

buckreynolds Registered since 11th Jan 2009Fri 12-Oct-12 05:41 PM
32 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I get a more reach with my 85 mm 1.8G.
When using a manual focus lens, it feels very old school, without the film processing fees.

Best wishes to all Nikonians

CyprusMike Registered since 19th Aug 2012Sun 14-Oct-12 10:29 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: So what do you love about the Nikon 1?"
In response to Reply # 0

CY

Sounds crazy, but the big thing is its tiny.

Like somebody mentioned above, I can stick it, another lens and its flash in my pocket and off I go. No big bags, no big black cameras to attract the attention of officialdom. And it delivers the goods.

I bought it as a point and shoot and a video camera, but its turned out to be so much more. Totally delighted with it.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1734 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.