Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1728
View in linear mode

Subject: "1.21 firmware for V1 and J1 released" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 08-Aug-12 12:39 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"1.21 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
Tue 05-Feb-13 06:13 PM by nwcs

Knoxville, US

On 8/8/12 Nikon released updated firmware for the Nikon J1 and V1 cameras. You can download the firmware updates from these links. If you don't find the appropriate link for your nationality please visit your local Nikon website's download center.

J1 firmware link - USA
V1 firmware link - USA

J1 firmware link - Europe
V1 firmware link - Europe

Changes:
- The exposure control program used with shooting in Smart Photo Selector mode, or still image shooting mode with Exposure mode set to P Programmed auto or Scene auto selector, has been revised for faster shutter speeds to prevent blurred subjects.
- Auto white balance performance has been increased.
- Exposure accuracy with ISO sensitivity set to Auto 100–3200, Auto 100–800, or Auto 100–400 has been increased with shooting using the optional Speedlight SB-N5 to photograph subjects at close distances.

The following issues have been resolved.
- An error message was sometimes displayed during interval timer shooting, preventing capture of the specified number of shots.
- When the camera was turned on by releasing the retractable lens barrel lock on applicable lenses, there was sometimes a slight delay before the shutter could be released.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released
JonK Moderator
08th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
09th Aug 2012
Covey22 Moderator
09th Aug 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Aug 2012
Ginsbury Gold Member
12th Aug 2012
scottishsoldier
05th Sep 2012
Ginsbury Gold Member
05th Sep 2012
scottishsoldier
05th Sep 2012
Covey22 Moderator
05th Sep 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
05th Feb 2013
DavidHarsay
31st Dec 2012
Reply message 1.21 firmware for V1
jbloom Gold Member
05th Feb 2013

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 08-Aug-12 11:51 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

Thanks for the post.

Guess some of the hoped-for feature enhancements will have to wait for the V2…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 09-Aug-12 12:34 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

With the J2 being released without any significant feature changes that may really be the case. I suspect the V2 will have more changes done to it when that gets released.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 09-Aug-12 11:28 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Be aware that Thom Hogan's caution about the firmware update resetting the clock is valid. I just updated my unit right now and the clock got reset.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Fri 10-Aug-12 12:15 PM
#4. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 3

Knoxville, US

Yeah, I finally upgraded mine last night and got the same clock reset. Thankfully I had my phone nearby so I could set the time. I wonder if any other enhancements got snuck in but not advertised?

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 12-Aug-12 11:48 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 3

Netanya, IL

Just did the upgrade and got a message on the camera screen saying that the clock had been reset.
Thanks to you guys, I was ready to input the correct details from the kitchen wall clock!

Nathan

scottishsoldier Registered since 23rd Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 04:43 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 5

Abbotsford, CA

I did the update for my V1 as well as the lens updates. The lens updates are supposed to shut the camera down when the lens is locked. It does not work on either my 10-30 or 30-110.
Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have a "fix"? I am awaiting feedback from Nikon.
Thanks for any help or info coming my way.
Bas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Wed 05-Sep-12 06:12 AM
332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 6

Netanya, IL

I might be wrong, probably am, but recall having read somewhere that the shut-down you are looking for works with the J2 (?V2?) but not the V1 and J1.

My half-cent's worth.

Nathan

scottishsoldier Registered since 23rd Dec 2007Wed 05-Sep-12 06:40 AM
5 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 7

Abbotsford, CA

Thanks Nathan.

I was under the impression that the difference between the J1 and J2 was basically cosmetic. Nothing was different in the operation.

The notice that Nikon put forward was certainly very misleading. There was no mention of J1, J2 or V1; only anything purchased from August 2onwardards.

I wish that they would come "clean" on this and end the confusion.

Bas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 05-Sep-12 03:53 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 8

US

The notice that Nikon put forward was certainly very misleading. There was no mention of J1, J2 or V1; only anything purchased from August 2onwardards.

To be more accurate, the language used in the firmware updates for the lenses (10-30, 30-110) are:

"When this lens is used with Nikon 1 cameras released on, or after, August 2012,..."

Given that the J2 is the only camera to be released (as in announced as a new product) on or after that date, nothing else can really be inferred. It was sneaky, but exact.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 05-Feb-13 11:23 AM
3299 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 9

Dyserth, GB

Thanks for the update, Nikon hadn't mailed me!

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

DavidHarsay Registered since 10th Sep 2012Mon 31-Dec-12 01:27 AM
34 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: 1.2 firmware for V1 and J1 released"
In response to Reply # 0

Fort Myers, US

Any rumors on future firmware updates for the V1/J1/Lenses?

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Tue 05-Feb-13 03:21 PM
6058 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "1.21 firmware for V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Wethersfield, US

Nikon has released a minor firmware update for the 1 V1 (only):

http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/18142

According to the release notes:

Modifications enabled with this firmware upgrade

Immediately after the camera was turned on after attaching a lens, shooting display in the camera monitor or electronic viewfinder (view through the lens) sometimes appeared to move. This issue has been resolved.

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1728 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.