Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1715
View in linear mode

Subject: "For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 29-Jul-12 07:30 PM
3539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
Sun 29-Jul-12 07:41 PM by Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US

I'm interested in getting an idea about the demographics of people who have bought the V1 camera. Also, please feel free to share your thoughts about the V1, and especially if would purchase the camera again. I've been thinking about buying a V1, but still haven't figured out if the camera has been designed to meet the needs of advanced amateurs such as myself.

Poll result (29 votes)
Professional (Full time) (1 votes)Vote
Semi-Professional (Part time) (3 votes)Vote
Advanced Amateur (in-depth knowledge of photography) (22 votes)Vote
Amateur (Good knowledge of photography) (2 votes)Vote
Beginner (Just getting started) (1 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?
Covey22 Moderator
29th Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
29th Jul 2012
wblink
30th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
29th Jul 2012
pentwater Silver Member
30th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
31st Jul 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
31st Jul 2012

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 29-Jul-12 08:13 PM
10631 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

What about advanced amateurs and semi-pros who bought the J1? Or is that out of your scope?

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 29-Jul-12 10:11 PM
3539 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Augustine, US

>What about advanced amateurs and semi-pros who bought the J1?
>Or is that out of your scope?

I am only interested in V1 users since that is the camera I am considering buying. I'm trying to figure out if the camera is aimed at advanced amateurs like me.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Mon 30-Jul-12 01:36 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 3

Gendt, NL

What do you EXPECT and/or WANT with/from the V1?
What do you want to DO with it?

You need help, otherwise you would (not) have bought it.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 29-Jul-12 08:58 PM
8594 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

The viewfinder and common battery are probably more valuable to advanced photographers than novices. I expect the advanced photographer is more willing to pay a little more and also buy a separate flash for the V1. Also the ability to use existing lenses and the FT-1 is more important to advanced photographers even though it is available on both the V1 and J1.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

pentwater Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Dec 2003Mon 30-Jul-12 02:07 PM
167 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 0

Jupiter, US

I wanted to replace my EPL1 as a walk around/snapshot camera. While the latest OM intrigued me, I happened to stop by my local camera shop looking for another bag. They had a complete Nikon 1 display and I thought I would look at the camera while I was there. After reading the initial reviews highlighting the small sensor and the lack of controls, I never thought I would like the camera. 20 minutes of shooting with it in the store convinced me that this was a camera I wanted. I've never looked back. Is it perfect? No. It had a bit more noise which I can usually get rid of in post, the controls are not as accessible for someone who frequently changes approach, and accidently bumping a dial can put you in a mode you aren't expecting. However, this camera is very fast, great size and feel (with Richard Franiec's grip), and produces very nice images with "Nikon color", something I was struggling with using the Oly. I also bought the lens adaptor and have started playing with using the 300 2.8 handheld! In summary, yes, I would buy the camera again.

Cheers,

Bill

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 31-Jul-12 01:16 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 31-Jul-12 01:18 AM by glennaa11

Arlington, US

I consider myself an "advanced amateur" and like the V1 very much. For me having the EVF was a top priority. And that I could share batteries with the D7000 was a bonus too.

The controls are easy to use once you get used to them. I also like the possibilities of the video modes but am not a huge fan of the ultra widescreen that it uses for the high speed video. For regular video mode it is easy to handle

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Tue 31-Jul-12 08:14 PM
565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: For V1 shooters, what is your skill level?"
In response to Reply # 6

Saddle river, US

A survey on this site will not reach a representative sample of users. The participants here are much more likely to be advanced than the average buyer.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1715 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.