Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1688
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?" Previous topic | Next topic
Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 05:38 PM
3541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
Sun 22-Jul-12 05:38 PM by Nikon32250

St. Augustine, US

In looking at the compatibility charts I don't see where the 28-70mm f/2.8 AF-S will auto focus on the V1. Elsewhere I have read that any AF-S lens will auto-focus with the FT1 attached.

Can someone clarify this for me?

I have been looking for a smaller travel camera and have been giving strong thought to either a Fuji X100. Then I started looking at the 4/3 cameras and found that I can mount my legacy Nikon lenses to a V1 with some limitations. That really piqued my interest.

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

<http://www.ancientcityphotography.com/>

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?
pwjones99
22nd Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2012
briantilley Moderator
22nd Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
22nd Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
22nd Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
22nd Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
22nd Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
25th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
26th Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
26th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
26th Jul 2012
Nikon32250 Silver Member
26th Jul 2012

pwjones99 Registered since 20th Oct 2007Sun 22-Jul-12 07:55 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Although not listed directly, it looks like it will function properly with the FT-1 adapter

http://cdn-4.nikon-cdn.com/en_US/o/WBqMZFjDl2eU0uluIvskYJxzlYg/PDF/Nikon_1_F_Mount-FT1_Compatibility_Chart.pdf

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 08:00 PM
3541 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 1

St. Augustine, US

I had looked at that chart too which is what caused my confusion by not including the "Beast". I wonder if it holds the f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range just the same way as on my D3?

Graham
From St. Augustine, FL. "I like photographers, you don't ask questions." Ronald Reagan to White House Press Photogs

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Sun 22-Jul-12 09:38 PM
29018 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 2

Paignton, GB

>I wonder if it holds the f/2.8 aperture throughout the zoom range
>just the same way as on my D3?

Yes, it must. The camera can't affect the maximum size of the diaphragm opening

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 08:36 PM
4683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

When using AF-S lenses on the V1 (with the FT1 adapter) you can only use the center AF point.No tracking, no off-center focus. With that limitation in mind, you have discovered one of the interesting uses of the V1 — using your fast AF-S glass.

I'm actually having a to of fun doing this. My 70-200 becomes a 540mm f/2.8 that's hand-holdable; the 85mm f/1.4 becomes a 230mm f/1.4…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 08:41 PM
#4. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 3

St. Augustine, US

I've been wanting a 500mm AF lens for the longest time. I have an 80-200 AF-S that would fit the bill perfectly.

Graham

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 09:10 PM
4683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 4

New York, US

Help yourself! And your 300 f/4 would become a 810mm f/4; faster, lighter, and much cheaper than the recently announced 800mm f/5.6 .

And BTW, the kit zooms on the V1 are really quite nice. Not particularly fast, but very sharp, very good IQ.

Jon Kandel

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 09:41 PM
#7. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 5

St. Augustine, US

Which reminds me to update my profile. I no longer have the 300 f/4, but I do have a 400mm f/5.6 manual focus. Not sure how well I would do with the manual focusing.

Graham

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 09:51 PM
#8. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 7

New York, US

Hmmm. The 400 becomes a 1080mm. Tough to held the subject in the viewfinder…

Jon Kandel

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Sun 22-Jul-12 10:45 PM
#9. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 8

St. Augustine, US

Yeah, I don't think that's going to happen!

Graham

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 25-Jul-12 03:01 PM
3170 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

Works fine on the center spot and in low light.
I have use the 28-70, 35/f1.8, and the 28-300 with adapter
and also the 10mm and 30-110CX on my V1.
I prefer the 10-30 CX most of the time for stills and Video.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 26-Jul-12 07:20 PM
8687 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 7

Atlanta, US

I find that manual focus is very difficult with the V1. Even when the green circle indicates focus is achieved, it is not necessarily sharp. It might work with practice, but your percentage of keepers will be very low compared to AF-S lenses. It doesn't hurt to give it a try.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 26-Jul-12 07:39 PM
#12. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 11

St. Augustine, US

I looked at the V1 the other day but couldn't try it because our local Ritz Camera couldn't find the battery! One of the things that I didn't care for on the V1 is the almost total lack of command dials. It seems that anytime I want to adjust a setting I have to go menu-drilling.

One camera that I am intrigued with is the Sony Nex 7. They have a feature called Focus Peaking in which a red, white or green line will outline those areas that are in focus. Novoflex makes an adapter which doesn't provide AF on Nikon lenses but would allow you to use the focus peaking feature. The Nex 7 also has two command dials, and a nice built in grip which makes it look a little bit more like an SLR. The downside is that I would have to buy 2 or 3 Sony lenses which is an expense I'd rather not have.

I'm thinking about renting one for a few days from LensRentals. My Fuji X100 rental should arrive this afternoon.

Graham

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 26-Jul-12 09:13 PM
10651 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 12

US

The NEX is slick to be sure, but the portability is defeated by the largish native lenses (even the kit zooms). If much of the intent is to create a smaller camera system, the Sony is not it.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Nikon32250 Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Mar 2004Thu 26-Jul-12 09:56 PM
#14. "RE: Nikon 28-70mm AF-S on V1 with adapter?"
In response to Reply # 13

St. Augustine, US

Like everyone, there is no such thing as the perfect camera. Each one has its pluses and minuses.

Graham

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1688 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.