Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1646
View in linear mode

Subject: "Which mirrorless camera for good video?" Previous topic | Next topic
F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Sat 14-Jul-12 02:41 PM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Which mirrorless camera for good video?"

Washington, US

Like many others I'm tired of lugging a heavy DSLR, in my case a D300s, around for travel or vacation photos. In addition, I want a compact that does very good video for a non-camcorder. I've been comparing the Nikon 1 cameras (mostly the J1, due to to lower cost), and the Panasonics, mainly the G-3 and GF-3. The Panasonics of course have larger sensors both in size and pixels, but I'm sure 10mp is plenty of resolution. Does anyone have experience with both, or can help me decide one over ther other. Unfortunately in our small town, the stores seem to only have the Nikons. I'm heading for Columbus on Monday, so may check Best Buy and Cord Camera while there.

Mike

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?
PerroneFord Silver Member
14th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
15th Jul 2012
F2AS
17th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
17th Jul 2012
F2AS
18th Jul 2012

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sat 14-Jul-12 03:34 PM
2503 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 14-Jul-12 03:34 PM by PerroneFord

Tallahassee, US

My experience is with mostly filmmaking. And I consider both DSLRs and point and shoots to be pretty poor for video for different reasons. That said, please be mindful that HD video is less than 2 MP (1920x1080. The megapixel counts on today's video capable cameras is a total non factor.

Larger sensors are usually a help, particularly in lower light scenarios. However, just like stills, the glass is a primary factor in how good the video will be. I know nothing of the glass the Panasonic's use. Their video cameras use Leica lenses. The lenses on the Nikon are more known to people and the quality can be quite high.

Best of luck.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sun 15-Jul-12 02:04 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?"
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

I don't have any experience with the Panasonics. But I was pleasantly surprised by the V1 for video. It takes a little getting used to the controls. But the weight is good using the kit lenses, not too heavy but not too light makes it relatively easy to hold steady. The autofocus works quite nicely. And I like the gimmick super slomo too.

Just ordered an FT-1 so I am interested to see how well it does with some of my other Nikkors.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Tue 17-Jul-12 12:10 AM
475 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?"
In response to Reply # 2

Washington, US

I got to check out the V1 today and like it a lot. Amazingly solid for such a small camera, and the best electronic viewfinder I've seen. The J1 is nice too for $250 less, but if I got one of these I would spend the extra for the V1. It will be interested to see what the V2 will offer when the time comes. More megapixels? I get the feeling Nikon kept the number of pixels fairly conservative to give room for more pixels in later updates. But for what the camera is, 10mp is probably all that's needed.

Mike

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Tue 17-Jul-12 06:33 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?"
In response to Reply # 3

Arlington, US

since it's called the Nikon 1 system I doubt the next camera will be the "V2".

I think the reason it is "only" 10MP is in order to control noise better. Given the small sensor size that allows for bigger photosites.

Not sure what they will do with the next version. Maybe add a popup flash somehow?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

F2AS Registered since 23rd Nov 2005Wed 18-Jul-12 11:42 PM
#5. "RE: Which mirrorless camera for good video?"
In response to Reply # 4

Washington, US

Even though it's the Nikon 1 system, my prediction on model numbers is that it will be v1, v2, etc. But I guess we'll have to wait and see on that. I'm anxious to see if they come up with a 3rd version eventually, with more manual controls.

Mike

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1646 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.