Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1621
View in linear mode

Subject: "Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please..." Previous topic | Next topic
richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Fri 06-Jul-12 10:15 PM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."

Dyserth, GB

I have taken an interest in the Nikon 1 camera technology, although my knowledge is quite minimal at present. I was looking to upgrade my coolpix P6000 for a P7100 or Canon G10 when I decided to take a look at Nikon 1 technology.

I have a D7000 and D700 which from a dSLR point of view suit me well enough, the D700 for landscape, portrait etc, the D7000 for wildife, birds in flight etc both with associated pro lenses to meet the needs of both interests. I use the Coolpix for travel and when dSLR kit is too heavy etc. However, the Nikon 1 interests me for doing what my P6000 does, but with greater flexibility.

I am interested in what's good, what's poor and the added flexibility it can allow me. Is the V1 a great step above the J1 and why? What are the true benefits of using my existing AF-S lenses and about the IQ I may expect? Low light capabilities, high ISO noise etc. a lot of questions, but a fair step up financially from a compact, so your experiences would be most useful please.

Your input will be very gratefully received.

Richard

Visit my Nikonians gallery

Visit my website www.pixels4u.co.uk
The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help pl...
JonK Moderator
07th Jul 2012
richardd300 Silver Member
07th Jul 2012
ShaoLynx Gold Member
08th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
07th Jul 2012
07th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
07th Jul 2012
07th Jul 2012
07th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
08th Jul 2012
wblink
09th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
08th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
09th Jul 2012
Ginsbury Gold Member
15th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
11th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
11th Jul 2012
Bob Simrak
17th Jul 2012
17th Jul 2012
wblink
17th Jul 2012
17th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
18th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
18th Jul 2012
wblink
18th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
18th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jul 2012
18th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
18th Jul 2012
18th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
18th Jul 2012
18th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
18th Jul 2012
18th Jul 2012
wblink
19th Jul 2012
briantilley Moderator
18th Jul 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
19th Jul 2012
19th Jul 2012
Covey22 Moderator
19th Jul 2012
19th Jul 2012
ericbowles Moderator
24th Jul 2012
24th Jul 2012
JonK Moderator
19th Jul 2012
SammyDarkling
24th Jul 2012
24th Jul 2012
14th Oct 2012
Daveecopping Silver Member
20th Nov 2012

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 07-Jul-12 02:32 AM
4207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

The 1 Nikon is a huge step up from a point-and-shoot. You gain significant sensor, lens, performance. The AF is superb under most conditions and having five FPS (without the video funny business) is nice, too.

But it is a strange camera. There are few controls, so you will spend more time in the menus. There are a few items that need firmware fixes. There is the infamous mode wheel that turns, changing shoot mode, without you knowing it. Bur darn, it is fun and produces such great results! In silent mode you can shoot golf or any other situation where you could not fire your DSLR. And there's one more whopping advantage to the 1 Nikon.

With an adapter, you can use your current glass, at a crop factor of 2.7x. Your 70-200 f/2.8 becomes a 189-540 f/2.8 lens — and handhold able almost 600mm combo! And it works really, really well!

BTW, you want the V1. You have two DSLRs with viewfinders. I doubt you'll be comfortable using the J1 at arm's length.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 07-Jul-12 08:33 AM
3104 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 1

Dyserth, GB

Jon

Just checked out your website, impressive and what a wide range of Nikon gear. See you did QM2 Transatlantic, been on QM2 4 times and she's quite a ship, although Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth are my favourites.

Richard

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. Einstein

ShaoLynx Gold Member Nikonian since 17th Aug 2010Sun 08-Jul-12 07:53 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 1

Tienen, BE

I agree with the above.
I would like to add that I shoot it using the EV and using the mechanical shutter, only the V1 has those. Furthermore, only the V1 uses the same battery as the D7000 (or my D800), the J1 doesn't. That is a big one for me, too.
Last but not least: of course you can shoot with Nikkor prime glass and everything, and that works really fine, too.
So, in the category: if it's woth doing, it's worth overdoing, you can have a look at this -- the comments explain everything: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shaolynx/6668872981/in/photostream

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 07-Jul-12 03:07 AM
10427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 07-Jul-12 03:13 AM by Covey22

US

Disclaimer: I wrote this J1 review for another web site, so I am posting this in my capacity as a member, not as a moderator. I think you'll get a great sense of what the camera can do. I liked it so much that I got one of my own.

As far as the viewfinder is concerned, proper use of a VF-less camera is to NOT hold it at arm's length. You hold it close to your body, just like you would a VF-equipped camera. This gives you the same stability. Granted, it won't be right at your face, but a couple of inches away. I try to teach this technique wherever possible. For me, I wear glasses, and it's always a challenge, even with the pro SLR bodies, to find a VF with excellent "eyepoint" so have a 3" wide viewfinder that I don't have to squint at or bump my glass lenses against is a great improvement.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 07-Jul-12 08:18 AM
#3. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 07-Jul-12 08:21 AM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Thanks both and especially to leading me to the J1 review which is excellent.

In the review it says "Interestingly, there are no options to turn off VR, it’s on by default."

If the J1/V1 was tripod mounted (presumably via the lens tripod foot) and camera VR is on, this causes a problem. Does it sense this in camera? More importantly hand held I assume a VR AF-S lens will have to have VR off as the camera is taking care of that?

Am I correct in assuming that these cameras are a total departure from what one is used to and the mind set should change from thinking that the use of AF-S lens is secondary consideration. In other words the J1/V1 cameras are for the most part stand alone and should be judged apart from a dSLR and used with their dedicated lenses?

As for glasses, I wear them too and I agree they are a pain. As for the viewfinder issue, I've never liked live view in the past, but am now starting to compose and focus my images in that mode when tripod mounted.

Richard

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 07-Jul-12 03:11 PM
4207 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 3

New York, US

VR is not in the camera body, it's in the individual lenses. And I assume that Nikon 1 lenses have a tripod mode. If using DSLR lenses on a tripod, you would turn off VR on the lens if you wish.

It's been a while — 37 years — since I shot while wearing glasses, but I feel your guys' pain. That said, my issue shooting with a viewfinder-less camera or with Live View on my DSLRs is the difficulty framing and panning. WIth a viewfinder to my eye, I turn my head and the camera is almost at the pivot point. WIth the camera held out in front of me, there are now two moving parts — the camera and my head — and I'm just not as smooth.

Yes, the Nikon 1 is a bit different, but while it scores well as a stand-alone system (the its lenses really are excellent), don't discount its ability to use DSLR glass. For a wide variety of shooting, putting DSLR lenses onto a Nikon 1 opens up whole new worlds of shooting.

Jon Kandel

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 07-Jul-12 04:29 PM
#6. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 5

Dyserth, GB

Thanks Jon, I re-read the blog and yes it does say the lenses have VR, but it is all controlled by the camera with no option to turn it off. I assume therefore on AF-S lenses VR will not work. I don't know whether the lenses have tripod mounts, but I doubt it.

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sat 07-Jul-12 04:36 PM
#7. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 6

Dyserth, GB

Jon and thanks for your link. It's strange but I didn't think to look there and the daft thing is I am often posting reviews on here from that site.

Richard

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 08-Jul-12 01:56 PM
#9. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

Let me clarify: if I put a DSLR VR-equipped lens on my V1, VR works and is active all the time ( as opposed to my D3s where I can compose and focus with VR off, and then activate VR just before I shoot).

If with those lenses I want VR off — say, if using my 70-200 or 200-400 on a tripod — I just turn the VR switch on the lens to "off".

Jon Kandel

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Mon 09-Jul-12 01:50 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 6
Mon 09-Jul-12 01:55 PM by wblink

Gendt, NL

>Thanks Jon, I re-read the blog and yes it does say the lenses
>have VR, but it is all controlled by the camera with no option
>to turn it off. I assume therefore on AF-S lenses VR will not
>work. I don't know whether the lenses have tripod mounts, but
>I doubt it.

For VR you can choose in the menu:

- Normal
- Active
- Off

With the FT-1 you make your choice on the lens.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSun 08-Jul-12 06:34 PM
10427 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 3

US

In the review it says "Interestingly, there are no options to turn off VR, it’s on by default."

Correct - my review only covers the CX-mount lenses mentioned, the 10-30 and 30-110. The FT-1 was in short supply and unavailable for evaluation at the time. Since the CX lenses have no VR external physical controls, everything else is controlled in camera.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 09-Jul-12 01:37 PM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0

Arlington, US

I have had my V1 for a few weeks. Just took it with my to Montreal for a long weekend as my only camera. I have to say I really liked it a lot! It is so much lighter and more compact than carrying around the D7000 even with a lighter lens like the Tamron 18-270 PZD.

I also like to be able to share batteries between the V1 and D7000. The V1 seems to go through the battery faster, probably because the LCD is on more. I also prefer to use the EVF as much as possible unless I am shooting video.

I found the handling very good and fairly intuitive for anyone already familiar with Nikon cameras even though it is more menu based. However, you can control some things using the multiselector in a way that makes sense. For example if you are an HDR shooter it is easy enough to adjust exposure compensation using the multiselector. And I found myself flicking through the shooting menu quite easily when needed. I shot mostly RAW and still need to go through and do some post-processing.

With respect to the VR, I thought I read somewhere that using VR lenses with a tripod isn't such a problem any more because the camera can tell when it is on a tripod/totally stable and can do what it needs to do to control the VR. I used my tripod in a couple of churches since it was fairly dark (and/or I was doing HDR) and the images look fine to me. I only took the three basic lenses (10-30, 30-110, 10) and found that I used the 10-30 most of the time.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Ginsbury Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Sep 2008Sun 15-Jul-12 04:41 PM
313 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 11

Netanya, IL

1000% with you! Just spent a month on Provence with a V1, leaving my D7000 at home.

I was also surprised at the battery use but noted in the manuals that Nikon claims over 4000 shots on a D7000 as against just 10% of this number with a V1 - for the identical battery. Go figure!

I carried it, with three lenses, in a ThinkTank pouch, leaving arms and shoulders free, and having it ready to go at any time, even when I was behind the wheel in the car.

Nathan

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 11-Jul-12 10:40 AM
8171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Here's another vote for the V1. I've got it with the 10-30 and 30-110 lenses to supplement my DSLR cameras. It's a great addition.

I use it as a point and shoot, but the best use was at a golf tournament. I was able to silently capture images at times that were simply forbidden with a DSLR. Resolution was excellent and the high frame rate allowed me to freeze the golf club at the point of contact.

I also use it for birding. I used a 300 f/4 lens with the FT-1 adapter resulting in an equivalent 810mm f/4 lens that was light enough to handhold.

You do need to accept that the Nikon 1 is different. Most of the controls are available, but access is different. It is not intuitive for an experience DSLR user, and takes a little time to learn.

You also need to be careful with high ISO images - the small sensor does show noise above ISO 400.

There are a number of automated functions, especially with fast frame rates. With faster frame rates you lose some of your choices. The automated selections are pretty good and did not really create any problems.

One more thing with the V1 - it requires an external flash. The flash is better than the flash on the body of the J1. You can't use your DSLR flash with the Nikon 1.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 11-Jul-12 04:40 PM
444 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 13

Arlington, US

Depends on your use whether or not a flash is required. I shoot available light even with my D7000. Did not feel like I needed a flash on my recent trip. I had my tripod along which was handy for dark churches. And since I was doing HDRs anyway the tripod was a must.

Glenn

Bob Simrak Registered since 26th Aug 2002Tue 17-Jul-12 02:31 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0

Kansas City, US

Depending on the environment, you can get fine results with flash in the manual mode, choosing your aperture and shutter speed (with the mechanical shutter your sync speed can be 1/250). The optional flash for the V1 can be set to manual mode (I use 1/16 power) to trigger SB-800s in the slave mode. This is a manual operation. Like the good old days. :~)

My V1 has become my favorite, especially using the FT-1 and fast glass like the 35mm f/1.8g, 50mm f/1.8g and the 85mm f/1.8g for indoors available light work with near silent operation.

For macro work I use an 85mm f/3.5 VR micro which gives me the working distance of a 200mm macro.

Overall, a very handy little system.

Bob
Nikonian in Southeast PA
Currently in Kansas City, MO
http://bobsimrak.blogspot.com
http://bobsimrak.zenfolio.com/

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 17-Jul-12 04:55 AM
#17. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 16

Dyserth, GB

Today's Nikonians newsletter has reminded me of my post and that, for reasons unknown I had somehow unsubscribed from my own post! Apologies for not responding to the many really useful replies and thank you.

I now have a comprehensive understanding of what the Nikon 1 can do, advantages and shortfalls. It certainly seems to be a useful lightweight addition to my kit especially in terms of weight, flexibility and cost. I was particularly interested in a number of posts which defined the adaptability for standard AF-S lenses and micro capabilities. In short, for a small package it has great potential. The use of batteries from my D7000 being another bonus.

Taking into everything into account, I have decided to go down the V1 route rather than that of the P7100 or Canon G12. It is now on my "wish list" for later this year. Just waiting for Photokina in September to see if the D400 materialises first.

Thanks to everyone again.

Richard

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Tue 17-Jul-12 02:43 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#18. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 17

Gendt, NL

Hi,

I did not see any posts on this, so I thought it is good to mention it:

Go for DX lenses! They are cheaper, lighter and for the N1 you don't need the FX (expensive!) qualities!!!

Willem

Sony Nex-7

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 17-Jul-12 02:59 PM
#19. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 18

Dyserth, GB

Thanks, but I only have FX lenses for my D700 and use them on my D7000. Good advice for someone yet to buy lenses.

Richard

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 18-Jul-12 02:37 PM
#20. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 19

Arlington, US

I got an FT1 the other day. Last night I tried it out on the V1 with the 18-105 VR lens that came with my D90. It seemed to work quite well for video. Other lenses have seemed a bit hit or miss and had trouble autofocusing. But that was indoors in dim light. I would need to try them in brighter conditions I think before being too critical.

But when it comes down to it, the 1 system lenses are pretty good.

Glenn

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Jul-12 02:45 PM
#21. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 20

New York, US

The better lenses for use with the FT1 are your 35mm f/1.8 and 85mm f/1.8 — which gives you 95mm and 230mm equivalents — because now you can have that narrow DOF that cannot be obtained with the system lenses.

Jon Kandel

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Wed 18-Jul-12 03:31 PM
#22. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 21

Gendt, NL

I regret the posts about using the Nikon V1 with the FT1 as a "solution" to use the old objectives. It is all about tele and I find that "a bit" dull.

I would like to communicate about CX lenses, because THAT is what makes the Nikon 1 what it is.
Using the Nikon 1 just as a long range telephoto camera is wrong and as long as people keep doing that nikon says "ok, no need to make another CX".

Willem

Sony Nex-7

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Jul-12 03:41 PM
#23. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 22

New York, US

Not necessarily. It's not just the extra length — though that's nice — it is also the possibility of using lenses that can't exist in CX format. Subject isolation via shallow DOF is not feasible with the system leses. To keep the compact Nikon 1 size we won't see f/1.4 glass.

But if I need f/1.4, I can use my FX glass — and get the other benefits of the Nikon 1, such as the silent operation — a biggie in many shooting situations — or the FPS or the video. And that's all in a body that is a quarter the size of my D3s…

I'm sure Nikon is designing other CX glass, probably some faster primes. But as mentioned above, there is a limit as to how fast they can be, and there is always the question as to whether Nikon will build and market them. Until they do, via the FT1 we have other options that only increase the usefulness of the Nikon 1 system.

Jon Kandel

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 18-Jul-12 03:50 PM
#24. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."

US

I would like to communicate about CX lenses, because THAT is what makes the Nikon 1 what it is.
Using the Nikon 1 just as a long range telephoto camera is wrong and as long as people keep doing that nikon says "ok, no need to make another CX".

As I mentioned in the CX Forum thread, it's simply a matter of time and waiting. There are CX lenses coming. The question is really when and what. So far, no indications.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 18-Jul-12 04:00 PM
#26. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 24

Dyserth, GB

I always assumed that Nikon 1 is best suited to it's dedicated lenses, however I can see how shorter primes like the 50mm etc could work well. I don't believe anyone would really use long AF-S lenses, or more accurately, buy a Nikon 1 + adapter and then buy AF-S lenses to use exclusively on it. However, I can see the dSLR user occasionally mounting a short prime.

My needs are as a travel camera setup which gives me more than a compact P7100 or G12, a kind of half way house between the compact and dSLR and can be expanded in the future with future Nikon offerings.

Would you all say that's a sensible approach?

Richard

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Jul-12 04:46 PM
#27. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 26

New York, US

No, I doubt you would buy AF-x lenses to go with a Nikon 1, but if you already own them as all of us do…

I probably won't do it much, but the 70-200 on my V1 gives me a hand-holdable f/2.8 600 mm equivalent. That can be useful at times, especially when I don't want to shlep big glass somewhere.

As an example, I'm attending a Yankees-Boston baseball game later this month and will be sitting vaguely behind home plate. My options:

• The 70-200 and a TC on my D3s, and have high FPS
• The 70-200 and a TC on my D800 and have croppability
• The 70-200 on my V1 which gets me 540mm at f/2.8 and 5 FPS. And it's much easier to carry and use in the crowd.

Or maybe take any two of the bodies…

Jon Kandel

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 18-Jul-12 05:01 PM
#28. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 27

Dyserth, GB

That's high praise as I'm assuming that you must be expecting equal, or almost as good, IQ from the Nikon 1 combo as the dSLR combo.

Richard

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 18-Jul-12 05:42 PM
#29. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 28

US

All things being equal, the N1 IQ will hold up to a full DSLR rig at smaller display sizes, especially in good light and low ISOs.

Secondly, in some venues, they won't let a DSLR in, period. But if you can bring in an N1, the average screener will let it through, especially with the miniscule looking CX lens on it. Then you break out the 70-200 cleverly...err...I mean accidentally misplaced in a thermos insulation wrap...yeah, that's it.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Wed 18-Jul-12 05:48 PM
#30. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 28

New York, US

No, the Nikon 1 does not have the IQ of the DSLRs. But it is quite good and beats the heck out of point & shoots. And as Armando points out below, you can frequently get it in to a venue where a DSLR can't.

Jon Kandel

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 18-Jul-12 06:37 PM
#31. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 30
Wed 18-Jul-12 06:41 PM by richardd300

Dyserth, GB

Thanks both. I know what you mean about venue photography. When the D800 was launched I read a number of posts here and elsewhere where folks who pre-ordered D800's would be just the job for London 2012 Olympics. I pointed out to them that only a pro with a pass will be allowed to do bring in a dSLR and long lens. With the Olympics I am sure that if someone sneaked in a 70-200mm and tried to fit it, just look for a little red dot appearing on the guys forehead, if you get my drift! Last year all dSLR's and long lenses were impounded at the gates of the county cricket ground in Manchester I believe. The reason given then was Health and Safety.

Richard

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberWed 18-Jul-12 07:22 PM
#32. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 31

US

The reason given then was Health and Safety.

Health and Safety meaning the out-of-shape amateur photog who lugged it up five of stairs to the nosebleed seats at the risk of a stroke, or the poor sod in front of him repeatedly beaned into a coma by the sturdy petal hood? Right, I'll get off the sarcasm soapbox now.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Wed 18-Jul-12 08:03 PM
#33. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 32

Dyserth, GB

Both, probably, but mostly the guy sat in front of the photographer.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Thu 19-Jul-12 04:34 PM
#34. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 24

Gendt, NL

>As I mentioned in the CX Forum thread, it's simply a matter of
>time and waiting. There are CX lenses coming. The question is
>really when and what. So far, no indications.

I am dissatisfied with Nikons N1 program.
They launch a handfull of common lenses an accesoires and that's it!

I want a 400-800/5.6 zoom. CX that is.
I want a 4mm/2.8 wideangle.

Nikon has been VERY busy with marketing for the V1 and just let us down now.

The FT1 is NO SOLUTION .....

Willem

Sony Nex-7

briantilley Moderator Deep knowledge of bodies and lens; high level photography skills Nikonian since 26th Jan 2003Wed 18-Jul-12 03:57 PM
28332 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#25. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."

Paignton, GB

>I would like to communicate about CX lenses...

Try our CX Format Lenses Forum

Brian
Welsh Nikonian

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 19-Jul-12 06:31 PM
#35. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 21

Arlington, US

For stills I agree that those 1.8 lenses are likely better choices for the FT1. But when I was shooting video with the 1 system lenses I found that the 10-30 wasn't really adequate for what I was doing while the 30-110 was better, when the action got too close it was a problem. That's why I was interested to see how it would do with the 18-105. I have little interest in spending $750 for the 1 "video zoom", so I was generally pleased with how the 18-105 worked out. But the AF wasn't as consistent as it is with the system lenses.

Glenn

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 19-Jul-12 06:48 PM
#36. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 35

Dyserth, GB

My take on what I'm reading is that and please I'm not intending to be derogatory about it's capabilities, is that the Nikon1 is best served with it's dedicated lenses. I can understand the coupling of wide to standard AF-S lenses perhaps, but beyond that I would think that I would then start thinking dSLR in the first instance.

In short, I think I would be happy with the two kit lenses ie. the 10-30mm & 30-110mm.

Richard

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberThu 19-Jul-12 07:22 PM
#37. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 36

US

Both kit lenses are more than adequate and they are fully compatible with all functions, including use of all AF points, which coupled with Phase Detect, is what makes this camera a stand-out amongst it's peers.

That being said, I am tempted by the FT-1; if nothing else, it gives me a 95mm f1.8 equivalent (35mm f1.8 DX AF-S). With the 85mm f1.8 G, it gives you an astonishing 230mm f1.8! Granted, you're limited to center AF point only, but the possibilities for my carrying a lighter load for theater/play photos is very appealing.

-Armando
Nikonians Team

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.

See My Nikonians Gallery

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Thu 19-Jul-12 07:50 PM
#38. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 37

Dyserth, GB

That's fair comment and I'm sure when I own one I would want to buy a FT-1 just to try a few lens combinations. Or at least lenses that you mention that develop extended focal lengths if not long zooms and primes.

Richard

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 24-Jul-12 12:22 PM
8171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#41. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 38

Atlanta, US

I probably use the FT-1 about 50% of the time with my V1. It takes "light kit" to a new level. And for things like birding, I find the V1 and Nikon 300 f/4 make a wonderful combination.

The big thing with the V1 is expanding your imagination. It will allow you to do things that can't be done with a DSLR. It can be a challenge to consider those options when you come from a DSLR environment - but it can also improve your thinking and creativity. You can do a lot of neat things with a high frame rate. You don't always need 36 MP images printed 20x30.

In the same manner, you need to accept what you can do with a DSLR that can't be done with a V1. AF is not adequate for birds in flight. Low light / high ISO performance is not very good. The flash is limited. And the controls are different which makes it less intuitive if you have a DSLR mindset.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 24-Jul-12 01:52 PM
#42. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 41

Dyserth, GB

Interesting Eric, thanks and <<You don't always need 36 MP images printed 20x30>> or in my case 16x12 on a 16.2 MP sensor. Particularly interesting as I have a 300mm f4.

Richard

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 19-Jul-12 11:01 PM
#39. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 37

New York, US

Exactly!

Jon Kandel

SammyDarkling Registered since 29th May 2012Tue 24-Jul-12 11:34 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#40. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 0

AU

the V1 and D7000 use the same battery if this helps...

you will have a spare.. and these batteries are SO expensive haha.

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Tue 24-Jul-12 01:55 PM
#43. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 40

Dyserth, GB

A great consideration and if I buy a D800 I'll be well sorted, thanks.

Richard

richardd300 Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2009Sun 14-Oct-12 06:25 PM
#44. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 43

Dyserth, GB

A few months since I posted, but I invested in a D800, so had to wait a while. Today I have bought an as new unused 2 month old V2 twin lens kit for a very good price. I could have had the FT-1, but was too slow! Rumours have it that Nikon are about to announce the V2, but as a more sophisticated easy carry camera, the V1 will do me.

What convinced me in the end was a photography club fellow member has the V1, so I was able to have hands on experience and I was surprised at the build quality. The other bonus is that I now have 2 dSLR's and the V1 and they all take the EN-EL15.

Any tips or tricks would be welcomed

Richard

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 07:21 PM
151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#45. "RE: Interested in Nikon 1 camera possibilities, help please."
In response to Reply # 44

Polegate, GB

As another new owner of a V1 I found this thread extremely helpful and I've learned a lot. Thanks to everyone that posted.

Dave

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1621 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.