Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1563
View in linear mode

Subject: "interval timer shooting" Previous topic | Next topic
glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Sat 02-Jun-12 08:10 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"interval timer shooting"

Arlington, US

OK. So I was playing around a little bit with the interval timer shooting. My question is, how do I turn all of the individual stills into a movie? It's not clear that the supplied software does anything in that regard. Do I need some special software or something?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: interval timer shooting
nwcs Silver Member
04th Jun 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
06th Jun 2012
hrbaan
07th Jun 2012
slothead Gold Member
24th Jun 2012
hrbaan
24th Jun 2012
Neuritis Silver Member
11th Jun 2012
KolinP Silver Member
13th Jun 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 04-Jun-12 12:35 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Yeah, I don't think that View NX can do that. On a Mac I would use iMovie but there are other ones out there for doing exactly that. Just look for time lapse movie makers on google.

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Wed 06-Jun-12 03:02 AM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 1

Arlington, US

actually it turns out the short movie software that comes with the camera can make the frames into a movie. But only 50 of them. More than that and you are out of luck.

So, yeah it looks like you need other software. But at this point I am not sure I will do enough of them to look too much at this point.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Thu 07-Jun-12 03:26 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 0

Kockengen, NL

Hi Nikon 1 shooters,

In the Dutch café, wblink asked me to share my solution with you. So here it goes

If you have Photoshop CS6 (or an "extended" version of an older release), you can easily make a movie out of a sequence of shots.

* Number all your photos consecutively and place them in the same folder.
* In Photoshop, choose File|Open… and navigate to the folder with your images.
* Click (only!) the first image and tick the option "Image Sequence" at the bottom of the dialogue.
* Click the "Open" button.
* You'll be asked for the frame-rate, choose something appropriate and wait for Photoshop to prepare the video.
* Feel free to add (adjustment) layers and other stuff to alter the appearance of the video.
* To save the file as a real movie (so far it still is a Photoshop "image" that can be saved as e.g. a .psd file), use File|Export|Render Video…

Have fun,
Hayo
Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
web: www.hayobaan.nl
blog: blog.hayobaan.nl
500px: 500px.com/HayoBaan

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 24-Jun-12 02:20 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

Hayo,
I finally got my time-lapse created (it's posted in a thread in the Time Lapse forum) using QuickTime Pro 7. I tried using PS and your instructions knowing that mine might not hack it. My PS is CS5.1 (I think - I don't look at the version data very often), and the controls described in your instructions appeared as though that version of PS would indeed do what you described CS6 doing. And in fact it might have been doing what it was supposed to do, but there was no real time feedback from the application to tell me whether it was done or how it was doing. The same was true with QuickTime Pro also, but I had the foresight to reduce the size of the images via batch processing to save some time.

I will go back and try PS again using the smaller images to see if it really does work.

But above all, I thank you for your post that provided the simple steps that I needed to see to get started.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

hrbaan Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sun 24-Jun-12 07:33 PM
1370 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 6

Kockengen, NL

Hi Tom,

Glad to have been of help!

Regarding Photoshop CS5 or earlier, as I said only the Extended version of these packages support video editing (with CS6, the regular version does support video). If you're unsure which version you have, if you have 3D in your filter menu, you have "Extended", otherwise you have the regular.

Cheers,
Hayo

Hayo Baan – Photography
e-mail: info@hayobaan.nl
web: www.hayobaan.nl
blog: blog.hayobaan.nl
500px: 500px.com/HayoBaan

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Mon 11-Jun-12 03:52 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 11-Jun-12 03:55 PM by Neuritis

Canton, US

I use Quicktime Pro. Before that I used a free program called PhotoLapse. http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/PhotoLapse.shtml

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

KolinP Silver Member Nikonian since 13th May 2006Wed 13-Jun-12 04:53 AM
243 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: interval timer shooting"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 13-Jun-12 04:56 AM by KolinP

Weston-super-Mare, GB

I've used the free VirtualDub video editor, although admittedly in a different context to this one.

VirtualDub can read hundreds of contiguously numbered JPEGs or PNGs or TIFs and some other file-types (when they're saved into a single folder), and can export them as .avi files with many MPEG and .avi-compression options, and various frame-rate options.

The VirtualDub interface is distinctly geeky, but the program boasts a very full set of video-specific options. Some of the extra functionality comes with plugins and additional codecs, but it "works" OK, right out-of-the metaphorical box.

(Off topic: I use VirtualDub mainly to create colour-accurate, long-running animated .gifs by first using VirtualDub to "assemble" long sequences of computer-generated .PNG files into (very big!) uncompressed .avi files, which I then feed into the old-but-still-good Microsoft GIF Animator. Due to the deliberately small colour palette in my computer-generated files, Microsoft Gif Animator can compress my 'movies' by factors of ten or more!)

Colin P.

--
Staying busy is easy. Setting priorities is harder!
A doorway to my other photo sites

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1563 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.