nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1502
View in linear mode

Subject: "With the 200-400mm f/4" Previous topic | Next topic
JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Sun 27-May-12 11:46 PM
5440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"With the 200-400mm f/4"

I finally got a chance to spend a few minutes in the park with the V1 and 200-400mm f/4 tripod-mounted on a Sidekick. AF was okay, though I did have some hunting. I also experienced some autofocus chatter — a high speed repetitive failure to lock — but I'm hoping that's dirty contacts or the like. Interesting enough, manual focus was very easy and rewarding and is a potential workaround for moving subjects.

Following are full frame results:

Image 1: 240mm (648mm equivalent), 1/250 sec. at f/11, ISO 400

Image 2: 240mm (648 equivalent), 1/250 sec. at f/5.6, ISO 125

Image 3: 400mm (1080 equivalent), 1/250 sec. at f/5.6, ISO 125

The two images at the short end of the zoom are very sharp. The image at zoom maximum is slightly OOF or perhaps the 1080mm system moved a bit . Overall, I think this body and lens combination is quite usable.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Mon 28-May-12 12:59 AM
1603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: With the 200-400mm f/4"
In response to Reply # 0

Great, Jon!
I'm impressed with your shots. A whole lot better than my results. Did you use the IR remote? I can't get a stable enough system without using it.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.size>

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Mon 28-May-12 03:38 PM
5440 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: With the 200-400mm f/4"
In response to Reply # 1

No, these were finger-on-the-shutter-button. My bigest problem was in set-up: without a DX or F body hanging on the lens, the lens was way-y-y front heavy. I had the Sidekick clamp grabbing the front end of the lens foot — actually the foot did not "fill" the whole clamp — in order to get close to balance.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

texspeel Silver Member  Fairfax Station, US  Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011 Tue 12-Jun-12 03:35 PM
362 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: With the 200-400mm f/4"
In response to Reply # 0

Jon,
Thanks for posting. I just got my V1 yesterday. It and my 200-400 are going Osprey hunting this Sunday morning. That's got to be a funny looking site with the V1 attached to the 200-400.
BTW - interesting tidbit, I was just on a local photo trek and one of the mentors who does a lot of work for Nikon was discussing the pixel density on the V1. He said that if the an FX sensor had the same pixel density as the V1 sensor, it would be a 73 megapixel sensor.
Best, Tom

"Nothing can be recognized without light and shade. It is only through the eye, the window of the soul, that we can truly understand the complex workings of nature." - Leonardo da Vinci

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1502 Previous topic | Next topic