Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1464
View in linear mode

Subject: "Distant perching bird" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 22-May-12 11:22 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Distant perching bird"

Frederick, US

At lunchtime today I went out and looked for test opportunities... OK I am continuing to "test" so I can get better at using this little gem - I really want it to be a great option - and here is the one decent photo I got - the birds would not comply at all today in Greenbelt, Maryland.

This little guy (please help me with the species) was way more than 100 yards away and I was using the V1, 70-200 (at 200) and a TC 20E III. That makes a 400*2.7=1070 equivalent mm, and this image is about a 66% crop (in NX2).

With that in mind, I am impressed with my success in this image... (sorry it isn't up to the standards of some of the pro's here).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Distant perching bird
nwcs Silver Member
23rd May 2012
slothead Gold Member
23rd May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
29th Jun 2012
slothead Gold Member
01st Jul 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
01st Jul 2012
slothead Gold Member
02nd Jul 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Wed 23-May-12 12:29 AM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Don't have my bird book handy but looks like a kingbird, one of the flycatchers.

What you're seeing is the difficulty in nailing focus with the FT1 adapter. It can be very frustrating. That with the TC2.0 which loses some sharpness anyway. But it's so much fun to get those closer in images!

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 23-May-12 03:27 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Sibley says you're right Neil. An Eastern Kingbird. Thanks.

Tom
D800, et al.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberFri 29-Jun-12 02:18 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 2

Monterey Bay, US

Surprises me how little DOF you have there.
Was that at f/2.8?
The pine cone seems to be in perfect focus with the bird less so.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 01-Jul-12 01:57 AM
#4. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

Roger, that would have been f/2.8 + 2 stops with the TC 20E III, so more like f/5.6. It's very possible that the thin DoF is actually blur of slight movement of the bird, but I'm now thinking the distance was more like 60-70 yards rather than 100 yds (but that still suggests a pretty decent DoF).

Tom
D800, et al.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 01-Jul-12 02:46 AM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 01-Jul-12 02:52 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

Indeed it could be movement by the bird.
It seems pretty puffed up.
Was it cold?

Interesting where you actually see birds.
I've been to Pinnacles many times since I saw a Condor there 5 years ago,
but saw one near town last Thursday.
I also have spotted a lone great blue heron in my backyard several times but never long enough to shoot it with my camera.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 02-Jul-12 12:47 AM
#6. "RE: Distant perching bird"
In response to Reply # 5
Mon 02-Jul-12 12:47 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

No, it wasn't cold. It was ony about a month and a half ago or so. Not cold then in Maryland.

Tom
D800, et al.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1464 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.