nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1430
View in linear mode

Subject: "Learned some things about the Grip(s)" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Thu 17-May-12 04:30 PM
1603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
Thu 17-May-12 04:32 PM by slothead

Some of you will recall that I purchased the Custom Grip from Richard Franiec and was very happy with it. I also purchased the Camera Plate from RRS for the V1 and the two did not play nicely when the grip was mounted with Richard's recommendation. I wrote to Richard after realizing this because I wanted to retain both, but knew I would have to move the grip up to accommodate the RRS plate.

Richard understood the interference problem and offered to send me replacement adhesive strips to remove and replace the grip at a "higher" position. He didn't think it would be as esthetically pleasing an installation, but understood the "sacrifice" that I wanted to make.

I removed the grip after Richard reported the adhesive strips were in the mail and installed the camera plate. I then positioned the grip "above" the edge of the camera plate so that they would not interfere when I installed the plate again. I have not yet received the adhesive, so right now both pieces are positioned but not permanently mounted (the camera plate screw is tight, but it doesn't ever really get "permanently" mounted).

You couldn't do this with the Nikon grip because it takes up base space. I think this combination is ideal for me.

The bottom line is that it all fits together, and still looks esthetically pleasing to me.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.size>

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) jjimerson
17th May 2012
Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
17th May 2012
     Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) wblink
19th May 2012
18th May 2012
Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
18th May 2012
19th May 2012
          Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) SammyDarkling
29th May 2012
29th May 2012
                    Reply message RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s) SammyDarkling
29th May 2012
30th May 2012

jjimerson   El Paso, US  Registered since 29th Jun 2006 Thu 17-May-12 05:11 PM
61 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

I have a question the RRS plate.
Can you use the the FT 1 with the RRS plate?
From the RSS pictures and yours I cannot be sure.
I would get the "L" plate is there is enough clearance.
Thanks

Jack Jimerson
Nikonian in Far West Texas

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Thu 17-May-12 05:38 PM
1603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 1

Yes you can use the FT 1 with the RRS Camera Plate. You can also mount both plates (Camera L-plate and FT 1 L-plate) at the same time. There is still about 0.5mm clearance between the RRS Camera Plate and the rear edge of the FT 1. What you can't do is clamp the Camera Plate while the FT 1 is installed (or at least not with the camera or plate centered in the clamp). However, I don't know that you would want to do that anyway because of the moment that would be applied to the V1 lens mount - of course that would depend heavily on the mass of the lens being used.

Tom

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Sat 19-May-12 02:04 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 2

Ahhh, thanks Tom.

Didn't realize (and didn't need) the FT1 rrs plate yet, but is doesn't fit with the plate on the camera.

Nice you show the model#, I cn get it really easy now: thanks again.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Fri 18-May-12 03:50 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 0

>Some of you will recall that I purchased the Custom Grip from
>Richard Franiec and was very happy with it. I also purchased
>the Camera Plate from RRS for the V1 and the two did not play
>nicely when the grip was mounted with Richard's
>recommendation. I wrote to Richard after realizing this
>because I wanted to retain both, but knew I would have to move
>the grip up to accommodate the RRS plate.

I ran the same way, no problems with the same plate. Me thinks you didn't place it right first place ...

Willem

Sony Nex-7

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Fri 18-May-12 05:40 PM
#4. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 3

I would agree with you Willem, but Franiec agreed with me about the interference. If you use his instructions explicitly, there WILL be an interference.

Tom

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Sat 19-May-12 01:52 PM
#5. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 4

>I would agree with you Willem, but Franiec agreed with me
>about the interference. If you use his instructions
>explicitly, there WILL be an interference.

I think you;re right. I placed the grip so that it did NOT stick out beyond the bottom.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

SammyDarkling   AU  Registered since 29th May 2012 Tue 29-May-12 10:23 AM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 5

When I read that people aren't so happy that the Nikon 1
don't have a grip like other compacts....

I thought... why don't they just stick a rubber strip on the front?

Atleast you get the choice where you put it?

I still think that...

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Tue 29-May-12 12:12 PM
#8. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 7

@SammyDarking:

I tried al 3: strip, Nikon, and the cusuom.

I liked the Nikon bestb ut is covers the batterry compatiment, netx is the custom grip ena the leat the strip.

I am using the custum 1. What doen't you like about it?

Willem

Sony Nex-7

SammyDarkling   AU  Registered since 29th May 2012 Tue 29-May-12 04:01 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 8
Tue 29-May-12 04:01 PM by SammyDarkling

i'm talking about a piece of rubber with super glue on it,
or some kind of double sided tape so it can be removed and replaced if needed...

like a textural grip? or is noone keen to try a 2 dollar solution?

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Wed 30-May-12 02:49 PM
#10. "RE: Learned some things about the Grip(s)"
In response to Reply # 9

>i'm talking about a piece of rubber with super glue on it,
>or some kind of double sided tape so it can be removed and
>replaced if needed...
>
>like a textural grip? or is noone keen to try a 2 dollar
>solution?

Hay Sammy again:

No, not on a Nikon which took me €1000,-

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1430 Previous topic | Next topic