Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1412
View in linear mode

Subject: "Landscape with the V1" Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sun 13-May-12 03:30 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Landscape with the V1"

Knoxville, US

I went to Cades Cove yesterday and thought I'd try the V1 out for some water landscape. Some thoughts... the image quality isn't the same as with my D700 and 24-70. It's noticeably less. However, it is still quite good and better I think than the first time I tried to shoot it with a D50 and 18-55 and 18-200. Being able to switch to video proved handy for some things and the slo-mo was really cool in a few areas.

I miss having some of the discrete controls the D700 has but the portability was nice. Saw several bears and shot those, too, but the combo was a little slow for what I needed. The more I shoot with the V1 the more I'm realizing it's not a substitute for my big DSLRs but it's perfect for the light trips and times when I go somewhere where I don't expect/need to get big time shots. And a great backup camera.

So when I visit a friend/relative or doing something with other people I think the V1 is the perfect camera. When I'm looking for quality, speed, and have the time to do it then the V1 isn't the perfect camera for me.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Landscape with the V1
ericbowles Moderator
14th May 2012
nwcs Silver Member
14th May 2012
ericbowles Moderator
14th May 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
14th May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd May 2012
sabbey51 Silver Member
24th May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
06th Jun 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 14-May-12 12:49 PM
8562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Neil

Thanks for the update. I agree with your thoughts - the V1 is different and has different uses. I don't have a video mindset yet and need to explore that feature with both the V1 and my DSLR. Likewise the fast frame speed of the electronic shutter has a place.
Have you gotten a Circular Polarizer or step up ring for the lenses? I have not, but it's something I use so often under normal circumstances I think it makes sense.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 14-May-12 02:37 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

I was thinking about that while I was there. It's an odd size filter, 40.5 if memory serves. I only have a 77mm one. I wonder if there is a step up ring? But I may not use the V1 for this type of picture in the future, though.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 14-May-12 04:14 PM
8562 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 2

Atlanta, US

I'm probably going to pick up a 40.5mm CP or simply get the step up ring. I have a B+W 52mm CP so a step up ring is cheap. The step up ring for 40.5 to 52mm is $22.50 at B&H. You could stack a 40.5-52 with the 52-77 and use your current CP. Or just get a multicoated CP for $89 or the uncoated one for $54. I talked with Filter Connection (www.2filter.com) and they are in the process of getting in a supply of 40.5mm filters. The CP is not in yet but is expected.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Mon 14-May-12 05:14 PM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Saddle river, US

I got the 40.5 CP and use a pair of step-up rings, as you suggest, for my Variable ND. I have to say the camera looks ridiculous with the huge 77mm fader on the front of a tiny lens. The 40.5 is itself tiny and is easy to bring all the time, while I only being the fader if I expect to encounter moving water.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 23-May-12 03:43 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

I have a 40.5 CP but have seen no benefit yet.
Perhaps you can enlighten me on how to use it effectively on a V1?

What I like most about the camera is the huge depth of field.
It is in radical contrast to the D800 shallow DOF.
So glad, I have both!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

sabbey51 Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 24-May-12 06:22 AM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 5

Saddle river, US

A CP works the same on the V1 as any DLSR. It cuts out glare and unwanted reflections on water under certain circumstances.

For me, the most frequent use case is landscape with the sun hitting the subject from the side. In this case, rotating the CP to the appropriate angle can dramatically deepen a blue sky. You determine the appropriate rotation by simply trying it while looking thru the viewfinder and stopping when the blue sky is darkest. At thus point you've also decreased the light by 1-2 stops, so compensation is needed if you're not shooting some Auto mode.

It works similarly when shooting a scene where the sun is hitting a smooth body of water from the side. Twist until the water turns darkest and you're done.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 06-Jun-12 01:31 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Landscape with the V1"
In response to Reply # 6

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>A CP works the same on the V1 as any DLSR. It cuts out glare
>and unwanted reflections on water under certain circumstances.
>
>It works similarly when shooting a scene where the sun is
>hitting a smooth body of water from the side. Twist until the
>water turns darkest and you're done. <Quote<<<

My eyes must be polarized as I can see no difference at all.
And besides, I almost never shoot a scene with water in it and the sun hitting from the side.
I prefer to have the sun at my back.
I already sent the expensive 77mm Nikon one back.
Maybe someday I (or someone who borrows my V1) will see the benefit of the cheap 40.5 mm one
that I bought too long ago to return..

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1412 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.