nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Outing test - Questionable

slothead

Frederick, US
1786 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009
Sun 13-May-12 12:24 PM

Yesterday, in an effort to see if I could live without the D700, I took both the V1 and the D7000 to two different outings. One was a bird banding session of the Audubon Society, and the other a Celtic Festival.

The bird banding was unfortunately crowded with observers and a lot of children (which I fully support since it is important to introduce the youngsters to the science), but I found it extremely difficult to use the V1. When you are competing with a crowd of people you have to act quickly and be ready for someone to jump in front of you (I'm reminded of the Lumix commercial). I found the V1 slow in responding to my control inputs (compared to my other APS-C and FF bodies). After awhile, every time I saw a shot that I knew I wanted, I reached for the D7000 (the 24-120mm f/4 was mounted on it), and at this point was glad I did. I did use the V1 for a number of slo-mo (400fps) videos and those were for the most part successful.

In the afternoon, I decided to force a real test and only take the V1 to the Celtic Festival. I became even more frustrated with the camera and in one case I was presented with an EV adjustment scale on the right side of the viewfinder that I had no idea how to deal with, and it popped up time after time when I was trying to video. It caused me to miss a number of what I thought were important video opportunities. I did learn a lot about the V1 on that outing, but first and foremost I learned that I needed to study the controls more!!

I find that menu system difficult to deal with and the sensitivity of the multi-selector uncomfortable and causing me to select (or change) settings I don't want.

In summary, I see the V1's use to be very specifically dedicated (because it seems to take me too long to adjust for different functions), and hence its value is diminished as a full use device (which I bought it for). I may not keep it!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, N1-J5, N1-V3 (and a few other cameras) and a BIG handful of lenses.

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Outing test - Questionable