Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1409
View in linear mode

Subject: "Outing test - Questionable" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 13-May-12 01:24 PM
1586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Outing test - Questionable"

Frederick, US

Yesterday, in an effort to see if I could live without the D700, I took both the V1 and the D7000 to two different outings. One was a bird banding session of the Audubon Society, and the other a Celtic Festival.

The bird banding was unfortunately crowded with observers and a lot of children (which I fully support since it is important to introduce the youngsters to the science), but I found it extremely difficult to use the V1. When you are competing with a crowd of people you have to act quickly and be ready for someone to jump in front of you (I'm reminded of the Lumix commercial). I found the V1 slow in responding to my control inputs (compared to my other APS-C and FF bodies). After awhile, every time I saw a shot that I knew I wanted, I reached for the D7000 (the 24-120mm f/4 was mounted on it), and at this point was glad I did. I did use the V1 for a number of slo-mo (400fps) videos and those were for the most part successful.

In the afternoon, I decided to force a real test and only take the V1 to the Celtic Festival. I became even more frustrated with the camera and in one case I was presented with an EV adjustment scale on the right side of the viewfinder that I had no idea how to deal with, and it popped up time after time when I was trying to video. It caused me to miss a number of what I thought were important video opportunities. I did learn a lot about the V1 on that outing, but first and foremost I learned that I needed to study the controls more!!

I find that menu system difficult to deal with and the sensitivity of the multi-selector uncomfortable and causing me to select (or change) settings I don't want.

In summary, I see the V1's use to be very specifically dedicated (because it seems to take me too long to adjust for different functions), and hence its value is diminished as a full use device (which I bought it for). I may not keep it!

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Outing test - Questionable
PerroneFord Silver Member
13th May 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
14th May 2012
macfish
15th May 2012
King Nothing Gold Member
16th May 2012
Jamy1946 Gold Member
22nd May 2012
slothead Gold Member
22nd May 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
22nd May 2012
slothead Gold Member
22nd May 2012
Bob Simrak
23rd May 2012
Jamy1946 Gold Member
23rd May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
23rd May 2012
Jamy1946 Gold Member
26th May 2012
27th May 2012
Jamy1946 Gold Member
28th May 2012
Feeshbate
28th May 2012
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
28th May 2012

PerroneFord Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011Sun 13-May-12 03:35 PM
2629 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 0

Tallahassee, US

At the risk of sounding obvious here, it's a bit unfair to the V1 to dismiss it before you even become comfortable with the controls. This camera is SUCH a departure from the DSLR it demands a different approach. I've been trying to play with mine as much as possible. Going through the menus, learning the multi-selector, etc. I still see my best use of the camera as a remote, but that is not yet possible.

If someone had moved from a point and shoot to a D3s, and mentioned the same issues you had mentioned here, everyone would tell them to take their time and become more familiar with the camera before brushing it off. So I say the same to you here.

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 14-May-12 01:54 PM
8876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

I think Perrone is right - you are trying to use the V1 as a DSLR. The controls are very different and a learning curve is to be expected. Likewise there are opportunities to use V1 features that are not on a DSLR that are there for exploration.

Try thinking about the creative aspects first and then how to exploit the two different cameras. For example, the V1 is small enough to be overlooked, and is a lot easier to use in cramped situations - especially with an electronic shutter.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

macfish Registered since 05th Nov 2004Tue 15-May-12 08:31 PM
140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 0

Columbus, US

It took me some time to become fully comfortable with the D700's menus and controls.
I purchased the V1 system knowing that it was not going to be the same, and fully expected that some learning/experimentation was going to be necessary to learn all it's options/quirks.
In my experience it can be a "full use" device, provided one fully understands and exploits its capabilities.
It's certainly no D700 or D7000, but I didn't buy a Mini expecting an M4.
To each his/her own purpose.

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Wed 16-May-12 06:11 PM
126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbrook, CA

I ran into the same thing after I got my V1. I tried to use it just like my D7000 and I found that I couldn't. The controls are different, the handling is different, and I've found that I need to adjust my shooting style when I use it. Give it time and you'll get used to it.

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Tue 22-May-12 11:20 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 0

Chonburi, TH

You tried the V1 for a few minutes, and you dismiss it!!!

First learn to use it properly and you will see what a nice camera it ia. I sold my D300s and replaced it by the V1 + the FT1... I do not miss the D300s, oh a little bit some time, but once you get the V1 and understand it, it is a great camera.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 22-May-12 03:09 PM
1586 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 5

Frederick, US

>You tried the V1 for a few minutes, and you dismiss it!!!
>
>First learn to use it properly and you will see what a nice
>camera it ia. I sold my D300s and replaced it by the V1 + the
>FT1... I do not miss the D300s, oh a little bit some time, but
>once you get the V1 and understand it, it is a great camera.

(1) Who are you, (2) who told you the above, and (3) why are you so quick to judge?

Tom

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 22-May-12 03:25 PM
8876 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

Some introductions seem appropriate.

John's new here. He's from Thailand. And his first sentence probably needed a smiley. John seems to be very happy with his V1.
I'm sure John has not had a chance to read all of Tom's posts and feedback on the V1. Tom simply provided some perspective on his impressions form picking up the camera. Maybe a little critical - but still valid in many respects. Tom has made a number of other posts on the camera, the grip, and it's use. Tom certianly has not dismissed the camera and seems to be making good progress in adding it to his kit.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 22-May-12 07:28 PM
#8. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 7

Frederick, US

Thanks Eric. I think I was already in a bad mood.

Welcome to Nikonians John. And if you have any good tips on using the V1 I would appreciate them. I took it out today (with the FT1, 70-200 and TC 20E III) at lunchtime and the birds would just not cooperate. I got one mediocre image and haven't had a chance to process it yet - if it isn't embarrassing, you may see it later today.

Tom

Bob Simrak Registered since 26th Aug 2002Wed 23-May-12 01:55 PM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 23-May-12 02:04 PM by Bob Simrak

Kansas City, US

Using the V1 with the FT-1 involves a whole new skill set. I am amazed at the variety in my images based on technique. I have been observing a bald eagle nest about 100 yards away with my V1 and a Nikon 300mm f/4.0.

This is not an optimal set-up as the nest is sooo far away and I am cropping out of the center. But I have discovered that stability is the key here. And that includes what is under the tripod.

I use the IR trigger to release the shutter. I just can't press the shutter release lightly enough not to impact the image quality.

This is a wonderful tool and I am going from "long" telephoto to a "super, super long" telephoto and that is big jump.

My biggest frustration is that little "mode" dial on the right. It loves to wander. My first hint that it isn't where I want it to be is when I discover that my desired feature is "not available."

I love my V1. It is a wonderful walk-around camera but for all it's versatility, it's not a "perfect" camera.

Bob
Nikonian in Southeast PA
Currently in Kansas City, MO
http://bobsimrak.blogspot.com
http://bobsimrak.zenfolio.com/

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Wed 23-May-12 12:17 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 7

Chonburi, TH

>Some introductions seem appropriate.
>
>John's new here. He's from Thailand. And his first sentence
>probably needed a smiley. John seems to be very happy
>with his V1.
>I'm sure John has not had a chance to read all of Tom's posts
>and feedback on the V1. Tom simply provided some perspective
>on his impressions form picking up the camera. Maybe a little
>critical - but still valid in many respects. Tom has made a
>number of other posts on the camera, the grip, and it's use.
>Tom certianly has not dismissed the camera and seems to be
>making good progress in adding it to his kit.
>
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team
>My Gallery
>Workshops
>
>Nikonians membership — my most important photographic
>investment, after the camera
>
>
I am not new, just a new account I was on Nikonians for years as Mr Sheen

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 23-May-12 04:35 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

I now have a V1, D7000, and D800
3 radically different cameras that share the same batteries, SDXC cards, and lens (with the FT-1 adapter).
I am very happy to have "all my bases covered".

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Sat 26-May-12 11:03 AM
#12. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 7

Chonburi, TH

>Some introductions seem appropriate.
>
>John's new here. He's from Thailand. And his first sentence
>probably needed a smiley. John seems to be very happy
>with his V1.
>I'm sure John has not had a chance to read all of Tom's posts
>and feedback on the V1.
>

I would very much appreciate not to be patronized,,, I am not a kind of dimwit or hillbilly.

In fact, I am wondering why I bothered to get a gold membership? Could have save the money

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sun 27-May-12 03:52 PM
#13. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 12

Atlanta, US

Sorry If you took my.comment wrong,

I was trying to let a new member know in a light manner thAt their post was inappropriate. As you are a long time member you should understand that already. Hope you can participate in the spirit of Nikonians.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Mon 28-May-12 12:42 AM
#14. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 13

Chonburi, TH

I am NOT a new member, and I do not think my post was inappropriate. I told it as I felt it.

As for the spiriit of Nikonians, I really wonder why I wasted money on a membership again?

Feeshbate Registered since 10th Feb 2009Mon 28-May-12 05:56 PM
94 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 14

US

Sounds like this is the wrong place for you....

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 28-May-12 06:15 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#16. "RE: Outing test - Questionable"
In response to Reply # 15

Monterey Bay, US

This line of replies has really taken a wrong turn!
Nikonians has been the most factual and useful forum I've visited so far.

Isn't "the Spirit of Nikonians" supposed to be to help one another?

Please get back on the subject.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1409 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.