nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #140
View in linear mode

Subject: "DXOMark tests J1" Previous topic | Next topic
rectangularimage Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Oct 2009Fri 30-Sep-11 04:26 PM
1117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"DXOMark tests J1"
Fri 30-Sep-11 04:32 PM by rectangularimage

San Diego, US

DXOMark scientifically tests cameras and comes up with hard numbers to rate them. The J1's sensor looks good for it's size:

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/News/DxOMark-news/Nikon-1-series-The-tests/Nikon-J1-a-small-camera-with-a-great-sensor

The J1 ranks close to the latest micro 4/3:

J1 vs. micro 4/3

Here the J1 vs. the Fuji X100 vs. Canon G12:

J1 vs. X100 vs. G12

...Mike

My website | My Nikonians gallery

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Sat 01-Oct-11 02:11 AM
4538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: DXOMark tests J1"
In response to Reply # 0

Alberta, CA

Very respectable. The overall ranking meeting or beating m4/3 has to be seen as very positive for the 1 series. IMO I am encouraged. Honestly, I would have liked a higher ISO rating, being a high ISO kind of guy, but looking at less than half stop diff from m4/3 again very good.

I realise the platform has been somewhat controversial but with all those 2.7 crop lens patents over the last few years there have been some signs.

So - IQ - check.

Specs - check.

Next we need to get some hands on reports regarding AF and probably many other areas of interest. On the AF side there is this concept that the camera reverts to CDAF in low light. Potentially important we understand this better. But hey, this camera is not the D4 or D800, and I recognise that going in.

Anyhow I continue to admire Nikon's strategy here, it is all at once bold, uncertain, a let down to some and innovative/visionary. Nikon continues to consciously choose the more difficult path, leaving some explaining to do at the sales counter, instead of some disingenuine but glib numbers.

Looking forward to next steps.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #140 Previous topic | Next topic