Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1324
View in linear mode

Subject: "Just got my V1" Previous topic | Next topic
pwjones99 Registered since 20th Oct 2007Thu 03-May-12 08:46 PM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Just got my V1"

US

After looking at the V1 for a little while almost every day while browsing around, I decided to pull the trigger and purchase one. I figured if I was going to get one, I might as well get the 3 lens kit, flash, and FT1. I was overly excited about what I had read about the V1 and the FT1 allowing me to connect my current Nikon lenses. So when it showed up, the first thing I did was charge the battery (duh) and then attach the FT1 and the 70-200mm VR2 f/2.8 lens and ran outside to grab a shot of the moon. Below is that shot.

So far, I am impressed with this little camera (little opposed to the D300). I really purchased this to take to the beach and on a Disney cruise to keep things light and not have to carry my D300 all day. Right now, I have tested it with the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR2 lens and my 105mm f/2.8 VR lens and both have full functionality. Hopefully this Sunday with the super moon, it will be clear enough I may try using the 70-200 with a 2.0 teleconverter and shoot for the moon. If that turns out well, I'll post a picture back on here.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Just got my V1
slothead Gold Member
03rd May 2012
JonK Moderator
03rd May 2012
pwjones99
04th May 2012
slothead Gold Member
04th May 2012
pwjones99
06th May 2012

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 03-May-12 09:19 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Just got my V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I think you have the right idea Pat, and a good shot of the moon too. One of the reasons I bought mine was for a cruise to the Greek Isles in the early fall (the wife had warned me that carrying that D700 and 200-400 zoom around would be the death of me let alone getting to Europe and through Venice to the cruise ship). So the V1 and 70-200 will be going along together with my TC 17 and TC 20 (and probably all the N1 lenses and a couple fast primes).

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Thu 03-May-12 11:52 PM
4680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Just got my V1"
In response to Reply # 0

New York, US

I had the same thought about Sunday!

ANd I'm seriously considering super-gluing the 70-200 to the V1, it's such a compelling combination…

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

pwjones99 Registered since 20th Oct 2007Fri 04-May-12 01:20 AM
99 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Just got my V1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

This is a shot I just took stacking the Kenko 2x teleconverter with the 70-200

I may try to play around with some sharpening, but I don't want to go overboard with it.

Everything was done manually with the V1. The EXIF thinks this is a 400mm because of the 200mm with the 2x converter. At least the camera is reading it just fine.

EXIF info on original photo
ISO 200, f/8, 1/125 sec, fine quality, 400mm equivalent of 1080mm

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 04-May-12 02:00 AM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Just got my V1"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 04-May-12 02:02 AM by slothead

Frederick, US

It looks good Pat.

"Everything was done manually with the V1." No autofocus either then, eh?

No cropping right? I'm amazed that you could hold it still enough, but I guess the moon is pretty bright. It is overcast and storming here.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

pwjones99 Registered since 20th Oct 2007Sun 06-May-12 01:15 AM
#5. "RE: Just got my V1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

The VR worked on the 70-200. OK, the focus was auto, but I did override it with the focus ring on the 70-200 and then turned off auto focus.

Thinking about that now, it makes sense why the shot on the tripod was not as clear. I forgot to turn off the VR while I had it attached to the tripod.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1324 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.