Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1320
View in linear mode

Subject: "Eye sensor broke" Previous topic | Next topic
Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Thu 03-May-12 07:22 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Eye sensor broke"
Thu 03-May-12 07:26 PM by Vox Sciurorum

Newton, US

My V1 thinks my eye is always to the viewfinder. The rear screen doesn't light up. I tried cleaning the little slot next to the viewfinder. That only helped temporarily. Three times I removed whatever was on the sensor, and three times the fix didn't stick.

I hoped I could pull off the rubbery plastic cap over the viewfinder cube. It doesn't seem to come off.

Any advice?

At this point I don't think the Nikon 1 is a good enough camera to pay to repair if it breaks.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Eye sensor broke
Vox Sciurorum
03rd May 2012
wblink
04th May 2012
Vox Sciurorum
04th May 2012
Vox Sciurorum
25th Jan 2013
Daveecopping Silver Member
26th Jan 2013
Vox Sciurorum
26th Jan 2013
jbloom Gold Member
26th Jan 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
f11 Gold Member
01st Feb 2013
kenuck Silver Member
27th Jan 2013
gottogo4247
08th Apr 2013
ChristianF Gold Member
09th Apr 2013
tgreenwald Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
RRRoger Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
gbheron Silver Member
09th Apr 2013
tgreenwald Silver Member
13th Apr 2013
Bob Simrak
15th Apr 2013

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Thu 03-May-12 07:30 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

I tried to edit but the edits didn't take for some reason.

After posting I realized the warranty is probably more than 90 days so I won't have to pay to fix it, but sending it for warranty repair means not having it for the summer when I would have used it most.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Fri 04-May-12 02:07 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 1

Gendt, NL

I THINK the only repair lies with Nikon ... Sorry.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Fri 04-May-12 02:12 PM
#3. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 2

Newton, US

I see a vertical line in the middle of the eye sensor slot. That must be a scratch because I don't see it in product photos. The sensor worked temporarily after I cleaned it with liquid because the liquid filled the scratch, leaving a smooth surface with nearly constant refractive index. Then it failed after the scratch dried out.

Maybe an eyeglass scratch remover product will work longer.

Count me as another customer who wants an eye sensor override setting. Or an option to always enable both viewfinder and rear screen.

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Fri 25-Jan-13 11:06 PM
#4. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

I finally got around to sending it back to Nikon. There is cosmetic damage to the case and they won't fix anything unless I pay them to fix that. They want more than $300 to repair a camera that sells new for less than $400.

I'm currently trying to think of a visually spectacular way to dispose of it.

Daveecopping Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2011Sat 26-Jan-13 01:50 PM
171 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 4

Polegate, GB

Bury it at sea with a full service and record the ceremony with a suitably respectful video for YouTube. Don't forget the flowers.

In Memorium,

Dave

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sat 26-Jan-13 02:14 PM
#6. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 5

Newton, US

>Bury it at sea with a full service and record the ceremony
>with a suitably respectful video for YouTube. Don't forget
>the flowers.
>
>In Memorium,
>
>Dave

I should have clarified: the most visually spectacular, environmentally sound way to dispose of it. There is probably toxic stuff inside. I don't want giant squid crawling out of the sea to get their revenge on humanity.

jbloom Gold Member Awarded for the continuous and generous sharing of his high level expertise and his always encouraging comments in several forums. Nikonian since 15th Jul 2004Sat 26-Jan-13 02:43 PM
6295 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 6

Wethersfield, US

You think the giant squid aren't already mad at us?

But I'd have in mind something like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzGWvZAd228

-- Jon
Wethersfield, CT, USA
Connecticut High School Sports Photos

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 27-Jan-13 03:29 AM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 7
Sun 27-Jan-13 03:32 AM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

What do you use the V1 for?

You now have a choice
1. Throw away a camera that works fine except for the LCD
2. Use the viewfinder only.
3. Attach a HDMI monitor.
4. I will take it if you don't want it.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

f11 Gold Member Nikonian since 23rd Feb 2006Fri 01-Feb-13 04:28 PM
784 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 6

Tulsa, US

Do you think something like this would repair the scratch?
http://www.rkdm.com/liquidlense/

Jim

My Nikonians Gallery

kenuck Silver Member Nikonian since 03rd Nov 2008Sun 27-Jan-13 04:56 PM
100 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 4

Burnaby, CA

I use the EVF for about 98% of my picture taking and in fact sometimes turn off the LCD display if its distracting.

If the camera works I wouldn't sweat it - you'll get more shots out of your battery without the LCD

Ken

gottogo4247 Registered since 21st Oct 2007Mon 08-Apr-13 06:07 PM
4 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 0

Thousand Oaks, US

I too thought my eye sensor was broken as my screen stopped working. Then this weekend the camera says the the battery is no longer viable. I changed the battery out and viola. The screen is back and all's right with the world

ChristianF Gold Member Nikonian since 21st Jan 2007Tue 09-Apr-13 12:29 PM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 11

Montreal, CA

>I too thought my eye sensor was broken as my screen stopped
>working. Then this weekend the camera says the the battery is
>no longer viable. I changed the battery out and viola. The
>screen is back and all's right with the world

If this is the case, perhaps a factory reset in the Menu might work. It could just be a software thing. Just a thought......

Christian,
www.ChristianFritschi.com

Welcome to my Gallery:

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Tue 09-Apr-13 02:05 PM
1467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 12

High Springs , FL, US

Not to offend your sensibilities but did you push the Disp button that cycles between nothing screen-info-no info???

Mine died too-as well as the 10-30mm VR lens.

Quality control stinks on this V1 and CX lenses.

I'm going back to the P7xxx soon.

www.teddgreenwald.com

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 09-Apr-13 02:29 PM
3155 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 13

Monterey Bay, US

>Not to offend your sensibilities but did you push the Disp
>button that cycles between nothing screen-info-no info???
>
>Mine died too-as well as the 10-30mm VR lens.
>
>Quality control stinks on this V1 and CX lenses.
>
>I'm going back to the P7xxx soon.>Quote Ted<<<
>
It seems to me that the few people who think they have something to complain about are the loudest,
while most of the satisfied customers are quiet.
This is not necessarily a bad thing as Nikon needs to hear it,
but I have been very happy with my gear.

Check the little eye sensor, it often becomes clogged with dirt or grime on mine.

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Tue 09-Apr-13 03:24 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 14

Cedar Falls, US

Good morning, Roger,

I have also found the sensor is extra sensitive to the slightest bit of dust or lint, or any excuse not to allow the monitor to display. I always carry cotton ear-swabs (usually Q-tips) to use with plain water to wipe the little sensor window. This slight annoyance is not something yet encountered with my V2.

Happy Nikon Shooting,
Randy.

tgreenwald Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Dec 2005Sat 13-Apr-13 08:57 PM
1467 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 15
Sat 13-Apr-13 08:58 PM by tgreenwald

High Springs , FL, US

At this point I don't think the Nikon 1 is a good enough camera to pay to repair if it breaks.

Hopefully these V1's are new enough to have a 1 year warranty from Nikon so paying for a repair show not be in the cards.

I just did an upgrade to firmware 1.21 and the eye sensor seems to be working fine now. I also cleaned the lint trap with a sensor blower.

Now my 30-110mm died. That's 2 lenses back to Nikon now. Non communication with the camera error shows up.

Did the OP try a firmware upgrade?

www.teddgreenwald.com

Bob Simrak Registered since 26th Aug 2002Mon 15-Apr-13 03:12 AM
297 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: Eye sensor broke"
In response to Reply # 0

Kansas City, US

The eye sensor on my V1 failed. I tried all the home remedies. In the end, I sent it back to Nikon. It was a hardware failure. Now it is back and I am happy again. Because of its size, it is my day to day camera, usually with an AF-S f/1.8 lens attached and used wide open.

Bob
Nikonian in Southeast PA
Currently in Kansas City, MO
http://bobsimrak.blogspot.com
http://bobsimrak.zenfolio.com/

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1320 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.