nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1311
View in linear mode

Subject: "So, what do I do with it?" Previous topic | Next topic
PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Thu 03-May-12 03:32 AM
2680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"So, what do I do with it?"

So I waltzed into a store today and grabbed a V1. What do I do with this thing?

------
Webpage: http://www.ptfphoto.com

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? kartane
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? PerroneFord Silver Member
03rd May 2012
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? wblink
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? Neuritis Silver Member
03rd May 2012
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? Vox Sciurorum
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
03rd May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th May 2012
04th May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? piniongear
05th May 2012
05th May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? wblink
04th May 2012
Reply message RE: So, what do I do with it? JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
04th May 2012

kartane   AU  Registered since 23rd Apr 2012 Thu 03-May-12 12:50 PM
163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Take photos then come back and tell us all to buy it because its great?

Colin

"We don’t see things as they are, we see things as we are" - Anaïs Nin

PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Thu 03-May-12 12:58 PM
2680 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lol. Sounds reasonable. I need to get the FT1 adapter so I can mount all my glass. But this thing sounds like it is going to be fun.

------

PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Thu 03-May-12 12:58 PM
#3. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 1

Lol. Sounds reasonable. I need to get the FT1 adapter so I can mount all my glass. But this thing sounds like it is going to be fun.

------

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Thu 03-May-12 02:16 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

>So I waltzed into a store today and grabbed a V1. What do I
>do with this thing?

Sent it t mee, I can use it.

Willem

Sony Nex-7

Neuritis Silver Member  Livonia, US  Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007 Thu 03-May-12 03:24 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Yeah go out with this small kit and take photos. Enjoy not being stared at and/or harassed (as much anyway) by people and security guards. Enjoy not be encumbered by the weight. I love my slr's but more and more this is what I shoot with for fun.

PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Thu 03-May-12 05:49 PM
#6. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 5

That would certainly be a major change. I planned to use the camera on long glass mostly but it will be interesting to see how it does for more stealth work. I am very interested in the silent operation.

------

Vox Sciurorum   Newton, US  Registered since 18th Oct 2007 Thu 03-May-12 08:42 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

People, places, or things?

I don't shoot people. I imagine it would do a good job of shooting an outdoor party with people running around in sunlight. Indoors they would have to stand still.

Places, OK unless you want big prints. The 10 megapixels aren't as good as 10 million DSLR pixels.

Things that move, forget about it. A big lens on a FT1 sounds appealing but works badly for wildlife shots. The camera will fight you every moment. If you aren't sure your subject will be there in 5-20 seconds, don't bother trying to turn the camera on (at which point you would discover the first problem -- getting to "on" is not as easy or fast as turning the switch on a DSLR).

Things that don't move, maybe.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community   Atlanta, US  Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005 Thu 03-May-12 08:57 PM
9111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

You didn't get the V1 to replace your DSLR. You got it for other types of photography.

On one hand its a good compact camera. Easy to carry with you and still get good shots.
Add a 50mm f/1.4 AFS or the f/1.8 AFS and you have a nice compact system providing 135mm equivalent at f/2.
Add a long lens and you have a kit that can be handheld with a 300 f/4 and equivalent 810mm.
The high speed options are very interesting as a compliment to a DSLR. The ability to freeze motion in an entire series of iamges is pretty amazing - as is the related video.
And with the electronic shutter, you can be very quiet. I had the V1 at the Masters golf tournament and was able to get shots that simply are not permitted - shots during the setup and thoughout the swing.
The V1 will travel with you a lot - you never know when you'll need it.
Shoot RAW - workflow will follow your current workflow.
What it's not:
It's not a low light camera
It's not a good camera for tracking a moving subject.
Image quality is okay but does not compare to a DSLR - even with the FT1. But for web posts, small news images, and situations that do not allow a DSLR, it's a very good option.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   Frederick, US  Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009 Thu 03-May-12 10:22 PM
1603 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 8

Eric,
You wrote:
"Add a 50mm f/1.4 AFS or the f/1.8 AFS and you have a nice compact system providing 135mm equivalent at f/2."

Please explain why you said f/2 ? Or did that only apply to the f/1.8 suggestion?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.size>

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Fri 04-May-12 12:31 AM
5426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

Eric is right, it is not a replacmeent for either of your DSLRs. That said…

Get the FT-1. Mount the 70-200. Enjoy a nicely handholdable 189-540mm, still f/2.8, only using the center part of the glass, with VR, and no mirror slap. 5 FPS, or 10-50 in full auto mode.

This is a very interesting image-capturing device!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div>

PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Fri 04-May-12 03:59 AM
#12. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 10

Yep! This is EXACTLY my line of thinking. Now to see if it actually works the way I hope it will.

------

piniongear   Houston Texas, US  Registered since 29th Jul 2006 Sat 05-May-12 02:37 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 12
Sat 05-May-12 02:38 AM by piniongear

PerroneFord,
be sure to let us know how it works for you after you have had a chance to do a bit of shooting.
I have had a V1 and an FT1 for some time now but have not had a chance to use it much yet.
I love that set up however and I am betting you will like it too.
Perry

PerroneFord Silver Member  Tallahassee, US  Nikonian since 07th Apr 2011 Sat 05-May-12 05:34 AM
#15. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 14

My Ft1 should arrive Tuesday. So I'll let you know soon.

------

wblink   Gendt, NL  Registered since 09th Feb 2009 Fri 04-May-12 02:53 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 10

>Eric is right, it is not a replacmeent for either of your
>DSLRs. That said…

Eric is wrong (for me) it IS a replacement of my D3X with full accesoires. Got to heavy for me.

>Get the FT-1. Mount the 70-200. Enjoy a nicely handholdable
>189-540mm, still f/2.8, only using the center part of the
>glass, with VR, and no mirror slap. 5 FPS, or 10-50 in full
>auto mode.

There are lots of benefits, but just 1 drawback: I miss 14 of my 24 Mp

Willem

Sony Nex-7

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014   New York, US  Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004 Fri 04-May-12 12:48 AM
5426 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: So, what do I do with it?"
In response to Reply # 0

I also recommend the add-on grip. I bought the RIchard Franiec version.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR NIKON CAMERA Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1311 Previous topic | Next topic