Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1285
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS" Previous topic | Next topic
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Mon 30-Apr-12 07:53 PM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"

Atlanta, US

This morning I was doing some birding with the Nikon V1 and the Nikon 300 f/4 AFs using the FT1 adapter. Here are some sample images - all handheld. All were cropped to between 50% and 100%.

Overall image quality is pretty good. Colors are a little muted at ISO 800. I found that I had to add a bit of sharpening and a little contrast in post processing. These had a quick edit for posting in View NX2 only.

The first is of a wood duck - taken at a distance of about 70 yards. The camera settings were ISO 800, 1/500 sec, and f/4

The second image is of a red shouldered hawk taken at a distance of about 50 yards. It is holding a chipmunk - breakfast if we would just leave. Camera settings were ISO 800, 1/640 sec, and f/4.

I find the V1 images a little soft, but they seem to respond well to sharpening. It could also be related to shooting the 300 f/4 wide open, but that works fine on my D300.

The V1 and 300 f/4 has an equivalent focal length of 810mm. The light weight makes it suitable for birding. It's really nice getting an f/4 aperture at an equivalent of 800+mm.

Probably the big drawback is the AF system. It is too slow to use for birds in flight unless you can track the bird for long distances. Even with stationary subjects, the focus sensor is relatively large and not precise enough to accurately positon on the eye of a distant subject.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS
nwcs Silver Member
30th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
01st May 2012
slothead Gold Member
01st May 2012
wblink
01st May 2012
nwcs Silver Member
01st May 2012
slothead Gold Member
06th May 2012
piniongear
06th May 2012
chgortari Silver Member
06th May 2012

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Mon 30-Apr-12 09:30 PM
6874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Really cool! I just bought a V1 from a nikonian with the FT1. I'm really curious to try it out with my 70-200 and 70-200 + 1.4 TC. Haven't decided if I'm going to get a 300 prime. My 200-400 has turned out to be giving me really bad results compared to the one I had in the past. So I'm selling it. The V1 may actually open up some interesting picture possibilities where before I didn't want the weight and bulk of the D700 and company.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Tue 01-May-12 12:24 PM
8785 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 1

Atlanta, US

Neil

Congratulations on the V1 - you'll really like it. It worked out really well for me yesterday. Not fully trusting that I had the right gear, I was carrying a D7000 but never used it. With really distant subjects that will need heavy cropping, I think the V1 is a viable option. Plus it is just so light that it is very easy to carry. Paired with a D700 or similar full frame camera, you have a lot of flexibility in your kit.
Sorry to hear about your 200-400. I know you have had good success with the 200-400 in the past.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 01-May-12 12:47 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Sorry about the 200-400. I'm on my 2nd one, and it is just as perfect as the first was. You might want to have it checked out before you sell it. It could be a simple adjustment (although likely to be more serious), and you would end up with a great resource again.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

wblink Registered since 09th Feb 2009Tue 01-May-12 01:04 PM
255 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 1

Gendt, NL

>My 200-400 has turned out to be giving me really bad results
>compared to the one I had in the past. So I'm selling it.

Hope you won't sell it here or to another Nikon-lover without telling him/her why?

Willem

Sony Nex-7

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 01-May-12 01:26 PM
6874 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 4

Knoxville, US

No, I wouldn't do that. I'm selling it to B&H because they are equipped to figure out what the issue is and do any adjustments. I never sell things without disclosing issues. I thought about having it adjusted but based on past experience the cost of having a repair is going to be enough to make up for the loss of selling it to a knowledgeable vendor.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 06-May-12 07:51 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 5

Frederick, US

"Selling it to B&H?" How much (% of original) do they offer for things like that?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 06-May-12 09:31 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 6

Houston Texas, US

We really should not ask that kind of question.
Just my 2˘ of course.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Sun 06-May-12 10:36 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS"
In response to Reply # 0

El Paso, US

These were done with the 300 f/4 afs and TC 20E III.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1285 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.