nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS

ericbowles

Atlanta, US
9439 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005
Mon 30-Apr-12 07:53 PM

This morning I was doing some birding with the Nikon V1 and the Nikon 300 f/4 AFs using the FT1 adapter. Here are some sample images - all handheld. All were cropped to between 50% and 100%.

Overall image quality is pretty good. Colors are a little muted at ISO 800. I found that I had to add a bit of sharpening and a little contrast in post processing. These had a quick edit for posting in View NX2 only.

The first is of a wood duck - taken at a distance of about 70 yards. The camera settings were ISO 800, 1/500 sec, and f/4

Click on image to view larger version

The second image is of a red shouldered hawk taken at a distance of about 50 yards. It is holding a chipmunk - breakfast if we would just leave. Camera settings were ISO 800, 1/640 sec, and f/4.
Click on image to view larger version

I find the V1 images a little soft, but they seem to respond well to sharpening. It could also be related to shooting the 300 f/4 wide open, but that works fine on my D300.

The V1 and 300 f/4 has an equivalent focal length of 810mm. The light weight makes it suitable for birding. It's really nice getting an f/4 aperture at an equivalent of 800+mm.

Probably the big drawback is the AF system. It is too slow to use for birds in flight unless you can track the bird for long distances. Even with stationary subjects, the focus sensor is relatively large and not precise enough to accurately positon on the eye of a distant subject.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Subject
ID
Reply message RE: Nikon V1 with Nikon 300 f/4 AFS