nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1257
View in linear mode

Subject: "J1, V1 vs P7100" Previous topic | Next topic
azphotomac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2008Fri 27-Apr-12 10:30 PM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"J1, V1 vs P7100"

Dallas, US

Opinions needed on a secondary camera

I'm thinking on a Nikon P7100, around $400 till tomorrow at B&H. I want to stay within the Nikon brand, as it shoots RAW in comparison to other P&S cameras. However a monkey wrench was thrown my way when I went out this past weekend to look at the P7100 locally... I was also shown the Nikon 1 (both the J1 & V1). However for the J1, a couple of lenses and the adapter your looking at close to $800, with the V1 being even more. Now carrying my D700 around all the time is just not practical, there are places I wouldn't want to leave it sitting around as it's just too big and obvious a target. And if I start down the road of interchangeable lenses on the Nikon 1 I've pretty much eliminated the small carry in your pocket camera idea.

So throw me some ideas on this? Is the P7100 a decent camera or a problem? Whats the 1 series like in the real world? I know there not D700's by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not looking for another D700, just something to cary around that takes very good quality photos that I can work with as opposed to JPEG's.

Thank you,

Hugh

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: J1, V1 vs P7100
David D Busch Silver Member
27th Apr 2012
azphotomac Silver Member
28th Apr 2012
28th Apr 2012
Vox Sciurorum
29th Apr 2012
29th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community
28th Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit.
06th May 2012
piniongear
06th May 2012
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
07th May 2012
piniongear
07th May 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
08th May 2012
slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014
08th May 2012
piniongear
09th May 2012
09th May 2012
08th May 2012

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Fri 27-Apr-12 11:55 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I bought the J1, V1, all four Nikon 1 lenses that were offered, and the Nikon P7100 when they were introduced. I already owned the Canon G12, the most direct competitor to the P7100, and most recently purchased the Canon G1 X.

My wife won't let me use the G12 anymore, so between the P7100 and G1 X, I was looking for a replacement for it as my "go everywhere" camera that resides in the console of my auto, and is taken along as a "wide angle" camera to use when my typical telephoto is mounted on my dSLR. Because the lenses don't interchange, and I happen to own both Canon and Nikon shoe-mount flashes, there was little reason to stick with Nikon, other than on a loyalty basis. I was free to choose the best camera for that role, regardless of vendor.

The P7100 made a very nice G12 replacement, with the same resolution and image quality, a longer zoom range than the G12, and some good upgrades from the previous P7000, such as the welcome addition of a second control wheel. It was in most ways almost exactly like the G12, which was the problem. I already had one of those, even if I seldom had access to it.

I ended up selling the P7100 last Sunday and keeping the Canon G1 X, which proved to be superior to the P7100 and G12 for my needs in almost every way. It has a (relatively) huge sensor, nearly APS-C in size, so its IQ and higher ISO performance was a lot better at 14MP than the G12 or P7100 at 10MP. It operates as easily as the other two cameras, and has an LCD that swivels in a more versatile way. Drawbacks: it certainly is larger and the lens doesn't retract as far into the camera. The zoom range is *severely* limited at 28-112mm equivalent. It lacks a true filter thread, so I had to purchase an adapter. But, all and all, it is a keeper that I'll be using until something better comes along.

The V1/J1 were in the running for a somewhat different role. I wanted a smaller alternative to a dSLR with full "system" features. I bought all the lenses, the V1's flash, and the FT-1 adapter, along with the ME-1 microphone and non-hot-shoe adapter. I gave the equipment a full workout, even shooting a concert and some other events with the Nikon 1 gear as my only camera.

The IQ of both was easily very acceptable, even at ISO 1600 or a little above. I really liked the small size of the J1, and if I were a snapshooter, I could have learned to love it. But I'm not a shoot-at-arms length kind of guy, and soon strongly preferred the V1's EVF, plus the higher flash sync speed for fill. The first item to be sold was the 10-100mm zoom. It was splendid for shooting movies, but so large and heavy that I didn't like the V1/J1 combination for any non-movie-shooting situation. Soon after I found a new home for the 10-100mm lens, I sold the J1.

I continued happily with the V1, especially enjoying using other Nikon lenses for insane 2.7X crop factor wildlife photos. The whole kit was compact and produced great results. Then my Sony Alpha NEX-7 arrived, and after a month or two the V1 began to see a lot less use. For the kinds of things I shoot, no Nikon 1 camera can stack up against a 24MP mirrorless model of roughly the same size with an optical-viewfinderlike 2.4MP EVF, and the other "pro" features the NEX-7 boasts. I still love the V1 for the wacky 10-30 fps full resolution continuous shooting and 2.7X crop factor, but the NEX-7 has become my go-to camera in that niche.

Your mileage will vary, and you could probably be happy with the P7100 (I would have been until I found better alternatives for *my* particular needs), but I don't see it competing directly with the V1/J1 or any interchangeable lens camera.

David

azphotomac Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Sep 2008Sat 28-Apr-12 12:19 AM
36 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Dallas, US

David, you have had quite the experiences with a lot of different cameras.. thanks for all the information, much appreciated.

Thank you,

Hugh

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Sat 28-Apr-12 12:36 AM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>David, you have had quite the experiences with a lot of
>different cameras.. thanks for all the information, much
>appreciated.

Thanks. I'm very fortunate in that my job allows me to spend serious time playing with just about everything...and then keep the best tools for specific needs.

David

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 29-Apr-12 02:04 AM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 1

Newton, US

Based on a quick scan of reviews, the NEX-7 seems to be a great little camera with awful little lenses, and the F mount adapter has no electronics or aperture control. I wouldn't have bought the Nikon 1 V1 if not for the ability to use F mount lenses. If the NEX-7 let me use Nikon lenses with CPU and AF I would be very tempted.

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Sun 29-Apr-12 02:52 AM
#6. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>Based on a quick scan of reviews, the NEX-7 seems to be a
>great little camera with awful little lenses, and the F mount
>adapter has no electronics or aperture control. I wouldn't
>have bought the Nikon 1 V1 if not for the ability to use F
>mount lenses. If the NEX-7 let me use Nikon lenses with CPU
>and AF I would be very tempted.

Nope, I have a Nikon adapter for my NEX-7, but everything is strictly manual. I do own some Alpha A-mount lenses, and use them on the NEX-7 with full AF and exposure, although the AF is very slow unless you spring for the very expensive adapter with phase-detect built in.

In comparison, Nikon AF-S lenses work quite well on my V1, even with VR. Focus is a little slow, but it works.

"I make terrible mistakes, so you don't have to!"

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Sat 28-Apr-12 05:17 PM
8925 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I do a good bit of birding, and the reach of a 2.7 crop factor on the V1 has made it a very nice element of my birding gear. Earlier this week I used it with a 600 f/4 lens and got reasonably good images of a small bird 50 yards away. The 300 f/4 makes a good lens for normal birding - an f/4 lens with 810mm equivalent focal length that can be handheld. I have an F-mount adapter for my Nikon scope and expect the camera will do a nice job for very distant subjects.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 06-May-12 03:21 PM
3176 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

Even if there is no money in them thanks to NAS.
I must have deep pockets.
My V1 with 10-30 will fit in my shirt or jacket (without strap).

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Sun 06-May-12 10:03 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 06-May-12 10:05 PM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

I have a D700 and wanted a smaller camera to carry around instead of the DSLR at times.
I chose the V1 and have no regrets at all regarding my decision.
I purchased the 10mm f2.8 lens to replace the 10-30 that came with the kit purchase.
With the 2.8 attached the camera is only 2-3/8 inches thick front to back.
The whole thing slips in my pants pocket, or....... there is also a better way than that..........

This holder is called a Black Widow and is made by Spider Holster Co. in New York.
Quick release and the camera cannot fall out of the holder. About $49.

Another great accessory is the FT1 adapter that allows you to use any F mount lens off the DSLR camera.
With this set up all you feel like you are carrying around is a lens. The camera is so light you cannot even notice it is there when you have something like a 70-200 mounted.
That 70-200 is the same as having a 190-540 lens mounted, by the way.
Perry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 07-May-12 12:06 AM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 8

Frederick, US

>

Hey Perry, what is that dongle that you have connected to the camera's right ring and where did you find that little sucker??

Thanks,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, D750, and a handful of lenses.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 07-May-12 01:44 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 9

Houston Texas, US

Hey Tom,
What you see is a small lightweight wrist strap with a quick release buckle.
This was purchased from my local camera shop right before I left for my Galapagos Islands trip a couple weeks back.

It came as a 3 piece set.....having a finger strap (that I have no use for) and a wrist strap (in the middle) and a neck strap shown on the bottom.

I cannot recall the manufacturer but they come in two colors....Black or Pink.
All that were in stock were the pink ones so I swallowed hard and bought one for about $25 as I recall.

I used the wrist strap and the Black Widow most of the time.
The wrist strap kept me from dropping the V1 off the side of a cliff while climbing and shooting pics.
Perry

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 11th Jan 2010Tue 08-May-12 07:48 AM
583 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Saddle river, US

Op/Tech

I have the same kit in a black Skull&Crossbones motiff. Use the wrist and shoulder strap on the V1, the finger loop on my XZ-1.

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 08-May-12 10:24 PM
1590 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 10

Frederick, US

>Hey Tom,
>What you see is a small lightweight wrist strap with a quick
>release buckle.
>...
>I cannot recall the manufacturer but they come in two
>colors....Black or Pink.
>...
>Perry

Well gee Perry that isn't going to do me much good!

Sabbey, do you know the make? I'd take the skull and C/B if I can find that. Who knows maybe there are other motifs?

Tom

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Wed 09-May-12 01:09 AM
#14. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 13

Houston Texas, US

Tom,
The 3 piece set is an OP Tech brand.
Here is a link to Adorama for it......
http://www.adorama.com/OTCSTBK.html?kbid=912610&gclid=CPzgrdf08a8CFWrptgodB2DiXA

Perry

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Wed 09-May-12 02:22 AM
#15. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 14

Frederick, US

Ah Hah Perry! Thanks!

Tom

slothead Gold Member Donor Ribbon awarded for his generous support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 08-May-12 10:21 PM
#12. "RE: J1, V1 vs P7100"
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

>Opinions needed on a secondary camera
>
>I'm thinking on a Nikon P7100, around $400 till tomorrow at
>B&H. I want to stay within the Nikon brand, as it shoots
>RAW in comparison to other P&S cameras. However a monkey
>wrench was thrown my way when I went out this past weekend to
>look at the P7100 locally... I was also shown the Nikon 1
>(both the J1 & V1)...

The big difference I see with the V1 versus the P7100 (my wife has a P7000), and considering that I am a reliability engineer, is the lens mechanism on the P version. I just don't trust that fancy mechanism that opens the cover, extends the lens, and then moves it to focus. Just too many actuators in there (I've already seen my wife's cover hang up).

Granted there are other issues with the V, most are electronic rather than very lightly designed mechanicals.

Tom

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1257 Previous topic | Next topic