Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1229
View in linear mode

Subject: "J1 vs V1" Previous topic | Next topic
Zoomer911 Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Dec 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 04:40 PM
364 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"J1 vs V1"

Champions Gate, US

Ok
Dumb question but looking for real life user input

I was looking to get a J1 or V1 to take the place of the D3s on a family trip to the UK

The J1 seems reasonable a price with the 10-30 and 30-110 (its less that then the 28-300 I was wanting for the D3s)

They appear to have the same sensor and lenses

But would I get different quality Images if I went with the V1 as opposed to the J1

Thanks

Paul

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: J1 vs V1
Neuritis Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
JonK Moderator
20th Apr 2012
rickpaul
20th Apr 2012
Covey22 Moderator
20th Apr 2012
David D Busch Silver Member
24th Apr 2012

Neuritis Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2007Fri 20-Apr-12 06:27 PM
37 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: J1 vs V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

You get with the V1. Better battery life, no built in flash but can buy and better flash separately, GPS add-on ability if you are into that, better screen and an eye viewfinder, external mic if you are into that, better built quality, sensor cleaning, mechanical shutter option (could produce slightly better images something about blooming), better flash sync with mech shutter. Heavier and larger.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 06:57 PM
4428 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: J1 vs V1"
In response to Reply # 1

New York, US

Ditto

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

rickpaul Basic MemberFri 20-Apr-12 09:17 PM
1806 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: J1 vs V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Tucson, US

I debated with myself heavily. I wanted a Nikon 1 to be small and simple. Wanted to like the J1, and but finally decided I would not be happy with less than V1.

I do not regret it. Biggest deal breaker on the J1 is the built in flash. The little SB-N5 is a neat little flash with creative possibilities.

I've taken great images with the V1 and do not regret leaving the D3 at home for my professional jobs.

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberFri 20-Apr-12 09:47 PM
10565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: J1 vs V1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I didn't really miss the viewfinder in the V1 - the J1 is a great pocket cam with the 10-30 or the 10 pancake. You can't go wrong with either and you won't get any different images.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Tue 24-Apr-12 03:29 AM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: J1 vs V1"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>Ok
>But would I get different quality Images if I went with the V1
>as opposed to the J1
>
As a practical matter you should see no difference in image quality. The differences between the two are elsewhere. I bought both a V1 and J1, and I couldn't detect any difference.

However, theoretically, there *could* be a difference, depending on the user and circumstances. For example holding a J1 at crooked arms' length to compose vs. using the V1's EVF pressed up against your face might lead to additional camera shake with the J1, even with VR. Also, there are a couple esoteric technical reasons why an image shot with the V1's mechanical shutter might have better image quality than a shot with the J1's electronic only shutter. But, again, I have never detected a difference.

Your choice between the two might best be based on the other differences between the two. I really liked the J1's extra compact size, particularly with the pancake lens, but the V1 has advantages of its own, just as higher flash sync speed (which would be even more important if you could mount a more powerful flash on the camera.)

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1229 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.