Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1214
View in linear mode

Subject: "Mine arrived today!!!" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 17-Apr-12 08:58 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Mine arrived today!!!"

Frederick, US

Well, I'm not yet sure that I am as impressed with it as I thought I would be, but the fast electronic shutter sure boggles the mind - I can't wait to try that!

- The monitor screen seems a little naked and susceptible
- Although I shouldn't be, I'm surprised how far the 10-30 lens sticks out
- I'm also surprised at how low the FT1 and RRS L-Plate stick down below the camera. Fortunately with a short F-mount lens (AF-S 50mm f/1.4G) in place it balances fairly well
- Lots of new things that I hadn't read about - time to explore

If anyone has any recent tidbits to share, I will be anxious to read about them.

Thanks,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Mine arrived today!!!
ericbowles Moderator
19th Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
piniongear
19th Apr 2012
sabbey51 Gold Member
19th Apr 2012
JonK Moderator
20th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
20th Apr 2012
JonK Moderator
20th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
22nd Apr 2012
JonK Moderator
22nd Apr 2012
rickpaul Silver Member
20th Apr 2012
Covey22 Moderator
21st Apr 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 19-Apr-12 10:53 AM
8593 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

Congratulations on the new camera.

One of the things I noticed is the big difference in the controls between the V1 and my DSLRs. Most of the frequently used functions are available, but the execution is different. The little up/down switch on the top right of the camera is the equivalent of the command dials. Another item is the menu is very context sensitive so you only see the menu items that apply to the mode you are using.

I was also a little surprised at the size of the CX lenses - they are slightly bigger than I expected. I have the RRS plate but have not used it yet. I think the V1 is a great handheld camera. The RRS plate is probably going to be used for macro with the 105 but most of my longer lenses have a tripod foot.

You might want to put a piece of tape over the hotshoe cover. It tends to fall off easily. Replacements cost $3.95 through B&H and the Nikon store.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 19-Apr-12 01:16 PM
3163 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

>Congratulations on the new camera.
>
>You might want to put a piece of tape over the hotshoe cover.
>It tends to fall off easily. <Quote<<<

You will probably find it missing the next time you look.
The adapter to regular HotShoe has a lock
But for the price you would expect it to transfer the contacts.

I like the little up/down shuttle so much that I keep looking for it on my D800.
I also have the D7000 and like the common batteries and SD cards.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 19-Apr-12 08:20 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-Apr-12 08:22 PM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

You should buy the 10mm pancake lens (if you do not already have it) to replace the 'kit' zoom lens that came with the V1.
The pancake lens is a half inch shorter and you do not have to twist the lens to turn on the camera.
I NEVER use that 10-30 myself.

It is also a faster lens, and the cost is small.
It makes excellent photos as well.
Perry

sabbey51 Gold Member Nikonian since 10th Jan 2010Thu 19-Apr-12 11:07 PM
565 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 3
Thu 19-Apr-12 11:17 PM by sabbey51

Saddle river, US

I'm the reverse - I have all three lenses, but find he 10-30 on the camera most of the time. The 1/2 step difference between 3.5 and 2.8 at 10mm isn't that great, and I actually find it easier to twist the lens for power-on rather than find the little button. The 10-30 is also similar to in both field of view and aperture range to the 16-85 that lives on my D7000 most of the time, so I'm comfortable with the usage.

Both make great pictures.

I put the 10mm on when I want to carry small and/or know I'm going to need the maximum light gathering I can get.

While I would prefer more buttons and dials to control key functions (note to Nikon: firmware upgrade opportunity - make them all programmable! - there's no downside for the customer!), the menus are lightening fast to use - no lag whatsoever other than the signal paths in my brain.

I'm also liking the Capture Clip with this camera. It's a great way to carry a lightweight camera on your belt, and the attachment plate doubles as a camera plate for AS mount clamps.

For straps, I'm using the Compact Op/Tech strap set (http://optechusa.com/compact-strap-trio.html). I can easily switch between an adjustable shoulder strap or a wrist strap using the quick connector. The shoulder strap is on the short side,which lets the small camera sit under your jacket if the weather is bad or you want to be discrete.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 12:32 AM
4615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 21-Apr-12 12:01 AM by JonK

New York, US

• I had an extra sheet of protector from some other body and cut it to fit the monitor.
• It could be worse. I keep the 30-110 mounted most of the time.
• My FT1 is backordered at Roberts. I'm jealous of all of you who have it.
• To me — and a lot of others — is the Mode DIal. Taking the camera out of a pocket, bag or backpack and it's changed. And sometimes just when holding the camera…
• My accessory covers has popped off twice.

I've now used the camera for a shoot, a violinist. 50+ pics on silent shutter, 1/10-1/4 sec to blur the arm and bow. It was so easy, so comfortable, so light in my hand!

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"></div>

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Fri 20-Apr-12 12:44 AM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

Frederick, US

Jon,
Cancel the Roberts order for the FT1 and get it form B&H. That's where mine came from.

I took some pics today but didn't have a lot of time (my presence was requested at the office), and I was not impressed with what I obtained at lunchtime in the parking lot. When I got home I was able to capture some high speed (60 fps) frames of a robin fluttering around the ground trying to catch a worm. I'll have to look at those, but he was quite a ways away and all I had on the camera was the 70-200. What surprised me was that the 200mm lens didn't seem like it should have been the equivalent of 200*2.7 on the monitor screen.

More later,

Tom
D800, et al.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Fri 20-Apr-12 01:29 AM
4615 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

New York, US

I'm taking the day off tomorrow. Maybe I'll make a quick trip to the Toy Store…

Jon Kandel

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 22-Apr-12 06:47 PM
#10. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 7

Frederick, US

That's right You're in NYC Jon!

From the home front here in Maryland, I don't have much good to report. I was out yesterday with the D700, the 200-400 and a TC17 with the Audubon Society, but there wasn't much flying. Today it is raining continuously and I opened the back door to shoot some locals on the birdfeeders, but they weren't doing much either. What I did learn is that I am still not very capable of hand-holding the 200-400 (at least at 400) on the V1. It just moves around too much for my abilities. I also wasn't very satisfied with what I produced with the 70-200 in the backyard. There was nothing going on at the close feeder, and the farther feeder is just too far for the 200mm setting.

Tom
D800, et al.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sun 22-Apr-12 10:03 PM
#11. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 10

New York, US

Handhold it when zoomed to 400? That's 1080! That would be tough on a tripod!

But I'm goning to test that, too. But I'm more interested in the 70-200. All next weekend…
Jon Kandel

rickpaul Silver Member Charter MemberFri 20-Apr-12 09:25 PM
1807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 6

Tucson, US

Don't expect D3 results with the V1.

But it can capture images the D3 can't! Largely because you always have it with you! The V1 is capable capture great images once you're learn it's strengths and weaknesses.

Some recent V1 images. All places I wouldn't have carried the D3:

--------------------------
Rick Paul
The Photo Professors

Saguaro Shadows Photography
Tucson, Arizona

My Nikonians Gallery

My Nikonians Blog

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

Covey22 Moderator Expert in various fields including aviation photography Awarded for his contributions to the Resources and The Nikonian eZine Charter MemberSat 21-Apr-12 07:28 PM
10630 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Mine arrived today!!!"
In response to Reply # 5

US

>I had an extra sheet of protector from some other body and cut it to fit the monitor.

Try the Giottos 3" LCD Protector instead. Fits just fine - it's Schott glass, so it's nice and solid, non-reflective and doesn't compromise light transmission - you won't need to boost the LCD brightness. Just make sure to clean your camera LCD really well because once it's on, it will show ALL the grease you might have left behind on the actual LCD. Yes, it's that crisp and clear.

"Toodle-loo from Covey22!"

-Armando
Nikonians Team
Nikonians News - Fresh Everyday!

The Covey Blog!

My Plan:

Get out of the car.
Get closer to the subject.
Pick the right mid-tone this time.

See My Nikonians Gallery

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1214 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.