Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1194
View in linear mode

Subject: "The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses" Previous topic | Next topic
slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 15-Apr-12 10:24 AM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"

Frederick, US

I have some non-AF-S lenses that I will want to use on my V1 (I have not yet received my V1 but I am so anxious to get it that I am researching in advance), most importantly my AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D. Obviously I will have to manually focus these lenses and am curious about the best way to do so. On my D700, when using MF lenses, I use live view and magnify the view to see the fine detail and manually focus that way. But the V1 isn't able to do that is it? And if not, how do I ensure that the manual focus is precise?

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses
Vox Sciurorum
15th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
15th Apr 2012
piniongear
16th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
16th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
19th Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Apr 2012

Vox Sciurorum Registered since 18th Oct 2007Sun 15-Apr-12 09:23 PM
240 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 0

Newton, US

The focus confirmation light works and will tell you whether you are too close or too far away. If you prefer manual focus confirmation, press the "OK" button and the preview image will double in size. The zoom lever will give you two more doublings.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Sun 15-Apr-12 10:59 PM
1544 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 1

Frederick, US

Hey, that's good to know. Thanks John.

Tom
D800, et al.

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 16-Apr-12 04:39 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 2

Houston Texas, US

You also have an arrow icon in the upper right side of the screen to tell you which way to rotate the lens barrel.
When you achieve focus, a dot appears confirming focus is correct.

This is using the FT1 adapter between the non AF-S lens and body of course and the focus point is only in the center of the screen..... the small square that appears in the center.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 16-Apr-12 11:05 PM
#4. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

Frederick, US

Thanks Perry. I knew about the single focus point. While it is a compromise, it is better than nothing.

Tom
D800, et al.

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Writer Ribbon awarded for for his article contributions to the community Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 19-Apr-12 11:08 AM
8515 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 3

Atlanta, US

I found there is a surprisingly large mount of "play" with the focus indicator. I did some testing with my older 50 f/1.4 and found the focus indicator gave some false positives. We're not talking about large amounts - just the ability to move focus small amounts forward and backward without any change in the focus indicator. I don't see the focus indicator as being precise enough for macro work or other close focus applications - you still need to take several images to make sure focus is nailed.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberThu 19-Apr-12 01:38 PM
3140 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: The best way of focusing non-AF-S lenses"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

Quote>I found there is a surprisingly large mount of
>"play" with the focus indicator. I did some testing
>with my older 50 f/1.4 and found the focus indicator gave some
>false positives. We're not talking about large amounts - just
>the ability to move focus small amounts forward and backward
>without any change in the focus indicator. I don't see the
>focus indicator as being precise enough for macro work or
>other close focus applications - you still need to take
>several images to make sure focus is nailed.
>Eric Bowles <Quote<<<

Isn't this true of all cameras?
Otherwise, if you had them set for focus priority, it would be very difficult to get the shutter to fire.
I think that is why it is set at "good enough" for most shots.
What would be nice, would be adjustable focus priority for the indicator.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1194 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.