Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1155
View in linear mode

Subject: "Telephoto help" Previous topic | Next topic
King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Mon 09-Apr-12 06:25 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Telephoto help"

Cranbrook, CA

I went out on the weekend to shoot some birds with my V1 + FT1 + 70-300 VR. I was shooting hand held at 1/1000 of a second with the lens wide open and I didn't get a single shot that was remotely close to good. In some of them the V1 focused on the background instead of the bird and in others the bird just ended up so soft the shot was useless. What was I doing wrong? Should I have been using a different lens? What about a tripod? Or was my technique just that bad?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Telephoto help
David D Busch Silver Member
09th Apr 2012
nwcs Silver Member
10th Apr 2012
King Nothing Gold Member
10th Apr 2012
dm1dave Administrator
09th Apr 2012
theOldBull Silver Member
12th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
12th Apr 2012
King Nothing Gold Member
14th Apr 2012
JonK Moderator
14th Apr 2012
photobugjp Gold Member
16th Apr 2012
gbheron Silver Member
16th Apr 2012
slothead Gold Member
17th Apr 2012
photobugjp Gold Member
17th Apr 2012
piniongear
19th Apr 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
19th Apr 2012
critidoc Silver Member
30th Apr 2012
King Nothing Gold Member
01st May 2012

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Mon 09-Apr-12 06:55 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I went out on the weekend to shoot some birds with my V1 +
>FT1 + 70-300 VR. I was shooting hand held at 1/1000 of a
>second with the lens wide open and I didn't get a single shot
>that was remotely close to good. In some of them the V1
>focused on the background instead of the bird and in others
>the bird just ended up so soft the shot was useless. What was
>I doing wrong? Should I have been using a different lens?
>What about a tripod? Or was my technique just that bad?
>
>Any advice would be appreciated.
You're very brave. I would never try to shoot that combination hand-held, especially wide open and at 1/1000th second. I have shot my V1 with a 300mm lens hand-held, but needed 1/4000th second and f/11 and continuous shooting to even begin to get an acceptable photo, with a boosted ISO setting, of course.

With an equivalent focal length of 810mm, 1/1000th second is only a starting point for arriving at a sufficiently fast shutter speed with such a front-heavy combination, *even with VR*. Stance, shooting technique and so many other things that differ from person to person come into play. Some folks might get good results at 1/2000th second; others might need 1/4000th or faster for the same shot. I always recommend at least trying a few series in continuous shooting mode; I've encountered many people who end up with their sharpest image being one of the middle shots in a series, because of the way they hold the camera or "punch" the shutter release.

Achieving sharp focus under such conditions is another matter entirely, with folks like Thom Hogan using "birds in flight" as an example of the most difficult subject. I don't know if your birds were moving, but even if not getting sharply focused images at mondo focal lengths hand-held is going to be a challenge.

If you can capture the birds with a tripod-mounted camera, try that -- still using a relatively high shutter speed, and with ISO boosted so you aren't shooting wide open. If not, a much higher shutter speed might help if hand-holding is your goal.

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 10-Apr-12 12:34 PM
6821 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 1

Knoxville, US

Very interesting. I was wondering what the real world would be like using a longer lens and a FT1...

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Tue 10-Apr-12 09:12 PM
117 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 1

Cranbrook, CA

Thank you for the great tips. I'm going to try them out next time. I don't carry my tripod around with me much but it looks like I'll have to start.

dm1dave Administrator Awarded for high level knowledge and skills in various areas, most notably in Wildlife and Landscape Writer Ribbon awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Nikonians community Nikonian since 12th Sep 2006Mon 09-Apr-12 11:37 PM
11495 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0

Lowden, US

To add to David’s great post above.

Another problem using the V1 + FT1 is that you do not have any focus tracking ability. If the birds were moving then the focus will lock just before the shutter trips if the bird moves out of the focus plain the camera will not adjust so the bird will then be out of focus.

Dave Summers
Lowden, Iowa
Nikonians Photo Contest Director

Nikonians membership -
"My most important photographic investment, after the camera"

My Nikonians Gallery | SummersPhotoGraphic.com | My Crated Gallery
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Showcase your best work in any of our 7 Monthly Nikonians Photo contests.

Wildlife | Landscape | Macro | Sports | Travel | Online Assignments | Best of Nikonians 2014

theOldBull Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Feb 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 03:13 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0

Tappernoje, DK

I have exactly the same experience. I bought the V1 and the FT1 adapter to get longer reach for wildlife before my trip to Kalahari (80-200mm lens and 200-400mm lens). Great disappointments after the first day. Most pictures focused on the background and not on subject. I tested the camera later in the day and it turns out that it has a "memory effect". If you pan from a background into a subject it will "remember" the focus of the background even if the subject covers the whole focusing area. If you update the firmware to 1.11 it will improve. I have attached an example of a secretary bird.
Picture Nikon V1 130mm witj a 80-200mm AF-S lens 1/640s F:5.6

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, ( file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Thu 12-Apr-12 09:26 PM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 5

Frederick, US

Hmmm... This looks to be a real problem with wildlife (or at least BIF). This needs more examination!

Thanks,

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Sat 14-Apr-12 05:01 AM
#7. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 5

Cranbrook, CA

With something like this I can't help but wonder if it's just an accident that it behaves this way, or if it's on purpose so it doesn't cannibalize dslr sales just like some of the other design decisions made with the V1. In either case it's annoying.

JonK Moderator Awarded for his high level skills and in-depth knowledge in various areas, such as Wildlife, Landscape and Stage Photography Nikonian since 03rd Jul 2004Sat 14-Apr-12 04:12 PM
4692 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 5

New York, US

Currently the only focus mode available when using the FT1 is AF-S. When you were on the background, if our finger was on the button, the camera locked focus. And that did not change, did not update, when you passed over the bird. We need AF-C programming added.

Jon Kandel
A New York City Nikonian and Team Member
Please visit my website and critique the images!

photobugjp Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2003Mon 16-Apr-12 09:55 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 17-Apr-12 04:25 AM by photobugjp

Ito, JP

Here is a shot with the V1 70~300 mm VR, hand held. What do you guys think?

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
visit my web page; http://www.jgb-imaging.com

gbheron Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2007Mon 16-Apr-12 05:51 PM
172 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 9

Cedar Falls, US

Good afternoon, Jack,

I think it is a beautiful shot!

--- Randy ---

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Tue 17-Apr-12 12:10 AM
1546 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 9

Frederick, US

That's great Jack. I'll be happy if I can manage that level of clarity.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, et al.

photobugjp Gold Member Nikonian since 14th Mar 2003Tue 17-Apr-12 03:14 AM
26 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 17-Apr-12 04:22 AM by photobugjp

Ito, JP

I also shot this one with the same combo the same day. (810 mm)
The trick is to take your time and brace yourself against something.

I have had many good photos from this set-up. Love the V1 & 70~300 !

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
visit my web page; http://www.jgb-imaging.com

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 19-Apr-12 08:31 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 19-Apr-12 08:32 PM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

I think the problem is that you are naturally shooting like you would using a DSLR.

You need to retrain yourself to swing with the moving bird and press the button all the way down with a full push.

Pushing halfway down locks the focus at what ever it was pointed at in the center of the viewfinder.
And most likely it was the background, prior to making the actual shot.

This style of shooting is going to take some effort on your part to accomplish, but it can be done.
Perry

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Thu 19-Apr-12 11:24 PM
446 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 13

Arlington, US

would the motion snapshot function help?

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

critidoc Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Feb 2007Mon 30-Apr-12 09:57 AM
217 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 14

Kingsville, US

I have shot lots of birds with the 70-200 and the Vi. very sharp and no problem as long as you realize it is single shot afs, not continuous. so if the subject moves out of the preset focus you have to refocus the camera. Absolutely love it for light weight but wish the ft1 gave full functionality. Maybe the next firmware?

King Nothing Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Dec 2011Tue 01-May-12 07:43 PM
#16. "RE: Telephoto help"
In response to Reply # 0

Cranbrook, CA

I just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I'm getting better and more consistent shots than I was before although still not good enough to be worth showing to anyone. It looks like it's going to take more practice and patience.

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1155 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.