Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1142
View in linear mode

Subject: "Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..." Previous topic | Next topic
nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Thu 05-Apr-12 01:06 AM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Poll question: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."

Knoxville, US

Been thinking about the Nikon 1 a lot. Especially after a trip to Las Vegas last week. Most of the pictures I took there I could have easily done with a Nikon 1. And with a FT1 and my 70-300 I could have had some killer zoom opportunities. I've read a lot about the trend for people to move away from DSLRs to capable but much lighter mirrorless bodies.

So I'm curious what things you guys thought of before getting a Nikon 1. Myself, I may wait until the next revision of the 1 system before I buy in. But something makes me wonder if I'll move away from my D700 and a lot of my lenses to do it. After all, I am just a hobbyist who doesn't have a great deal of spare time anymore...

Poll result (47 votes)
Adding to your existing Nikon gear (20 votes)Vote
Moving from/Replacing a DSLR to a smaller package (4 votes)Vote
Growing from/Replacing a compact to a more capable camera (2 votes)Vote
Less filling, tastes great (small and light but capable) (4 votes)Vote
Easy to carry around, more excuses to take pictures (9 votes)Vote
Contemplating getting one but haven't yet (8 votes)Vote

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because...
ericbowles Moderator
05th Apr 2012
piniongear
05th Apr 2012
VR8 Silver Member
09th Apr 2012
piniongear
09th Apr 2012
nwcs Silver Member
07th Apr 2012
David D Busch Silver Member
11th Apr 2012
ericbowles Moderator
11th Apr 2012
David D Busch Silver Member
11th Apr 2012
RRRoger Silver Member
14th Apr 2012
glennaa11 Silver Member
28th May 2012
nwcs Silver Member
01st May 2012
Jamy1946 Gold Member
22nd May 2012
nwcs Silver Member
22nd May 2012
slothead Gold Member
28th May 2012

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Thu 05-Apr-12 08:39 PM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I've really enjoyed the V1.

In one respect, it replaces a Coolpix and delivers RAW files with a lot of control. That makes it a very good casual camera.

But the V1 is also viable as a light weight replacement for a DSLR. I've been using a light kit for some time, and this take "light kit" to another level.

The ability to use Nikon F mount lenses with the FT1 adapter is another nice plus providing both reach and unique capabilities.

Don't underestimate the learning curve. While all Nikon DSLR cameras have a bit of similarity, the V1 is very different. Controls are there - but accessed in a different manner. And the creative options of the electronic shutter are totally new.

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Thu 05-Apr-12 10:48 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 1
Thu 05-Apr-12 11:03 PM by piniongear

Houston Texas, US

I have decided that putting the FT1 on my V1 and then putting on a AF-S 35mm f/1.8 lens as a carry around camera is about the best thing since sliced bread.

I just now decided to weigh this camera and lens/shade......
and with a Nikon strap and Spider Black Widow cleat attached, the total weight is 1 lb-14oz.

Just the body of my D300S without a lens weighs 2 lb-4oz.

With the AF-S lens the focus is automatic.

Focus is in the center which is where I normally focus any camera.

This is the same as toting around a camera with a 94.5mm lens. Sweet!

Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

VR8 Silver Member Nikonian since 04th May 2008Mon 09-Apr-12 11:02 PM
771 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 2

Ottawa, CA

I am sympathetic. I have both a D300 and V1. Time and place for both. I like to travel and go on long walks, I have to do errands - the V1 is always with me. The 10mm pancake is a miracle lens. If I go out with the sole purpose of taking shots or with a project in mind, its the D300 and a choice of lenses.

I have to really try the FT1 this week and given your comments with the 35mm. The 30-100 mm is challenging, for me at least - seems slower less responsive - I am trying it out using different settings with and without VR etc. On my website several of my most recent photos are V1. I put up some more this morning, from a trip to Toronto (all of them taken the 10mm).

That said I am still a big fan of the D300 (hoping for a D400 soon!).

My website is rakmilphotography.com

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Mon 09-Apr-12 11:28 PM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

The 30-100 is slower and less responsive.
The only reason I even have it is because it came with the V1 and I could not buy the body alone.
I first bought the 10mm pancake lens which is a fast lens.
The FT1 was the next item. Fantastic results!

The only drawbacks I can find with the V1 is it turns off automatically after 10 minutes at the longest and you have to use an AF-S lens with the FT1 to have auto focus.
But it is a great camera and a super telephoto with the FT1 and any lens you may want to put on it.
Perry

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Sat 07-Apr-12 02:10 PM
6804 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Interesting replies. Thanks everyone who is voting. You've given me some things to think about...

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Wed 11-Apr-12 04:32 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 11-Apr-12 04:32 PM by David D Busch

US

The 10mm, 10-30, and 30-110mm lenses I own are fine (I sold the 10-100 power zoom), but I can get a lot more out of my kit of existing Nikon lenses with my V1 and J1 plus the FT-1 adapter. There is an amazing number of different things you can do with these cameras.

The Nikon 1 system is not my favorite mirrorless model though: I really, really like my NEX-7. But I've only got a few lenses for that, a 16mm f/2.8 plus fisheye and ultrawide adapters, the 18-55, 18-200mm and 30mm f/2.8 macro. So I end up using both.

David

ericbowles Moderator Awarded for his in-depth knowledge and high level skills in various areas, especially Landscape and Wildlife Photoghraphy Nikonian since 25th Nov 2005Wed 11-Apr-12 06:57 PM
8147 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 6

Atlanta, US

David

What is it you like about the NEX-7? Do you have preferences for each system?

Eric Bowles
Nikonians Team
My Gallery
Workshops

Nikonians membership — my most important photographic investment, after the camera

David D Busch Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Nov 2011Wed 11-Apr-12 07:28 PM
174 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 7

US

>David
>
>What is it you like about the NEX-7? Do you have preferences
>for each system?
>
>Eric Bowles
>Nikonians Team

There are things I love about both cameras. While I get excellent image quality from my V1 and J1, the NEX-7's 24MP are even better. I'm even using it for studio product photography. One reason for that is that I like to use softboxes and shoot-through umbrellas (in reflective, rather than shoot-through mode) to photograph shiny things, such as the cameras that appear on the covers and inside pages of my books. Used in that mode, the modeling lights on my studio strobes tend to be a little on the dim side, and manual focusing can be difficult. The NEX-7 has a Focus Peaking feature that puts a halo (yellow, in my usage) around in-focus features, so when the nameplates, etc. have a yellow glow I can be confident that the image is in sharp focus. I'm actually using the NEX-7 for some work in preference to my D800.

The NEX-7's 2.4MP EVF is really good, and it has an actual hot shoe that accepts electronic flash. Ironically, I can use my SB-910 on the NEX-7 (albeit in manual mode, and with an adapter for the oddball Minolta/Sony shoe), but not on the V1. Sony's new Triple-Dial Control is very useful. Other "advantages" are minor, like the (minimally) tilting LCD.

I prefer the V1 for other types of work. It's a tad smaller, and really uses my existing Nikon lenses very well with the FT-1. I've got 20-30 lenses, and while some of them work better than others (with AF and VR when available), the versatility of using the whole range is a lot of fun. While the NEX-7 has a broader range of E-mount lenses I like not having to buy more lenses. I have the basic A-mount to E-mount adapter for the NEX-7, and it works well, but focuses very slowly. The faster adapter with phase-detect built in is bulkier and costs about three times was the FT-1 costs.

The V1 really beats the pants off the Sony when it comes to movie-making, where the difference in sensor resolution is irrelevant when you're shooting 1920 x 1080 pixels. The V1's 10-100mm power zoom is especially useful for movies; many lenses are not "linear" in their manual zooming, so if you want to zoom during a shot you get a jerky effect. The 10-100mm was a lot smoother, although I ended up selling it eventually. Slow-motion movies, the ability to shoot 10, 30, or 60 frames continuous at full resolution, etc. are killer features for those who appreciate them.

The V1 competes fairly well with the NEX-7, despite their differences, because the "shortcomings" of the V1 aren't as bad as the theoreticists make out. I get very nice images from its 10MP, and have used it successfully at concerts and such at ISO 1600+. It's a pretty good camera. Even though the NEX-7 is a better all-around mirrorless camera, it costs quite a bit more, too.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 14-Apr-12 12:33 PM
3086 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 8

Monterey Bay, US

I tried the NEX cameras before the V1 most because of the specs, but also some reviews favor them.
They are so awkward for my use that I got few unblurred pictures.
The solid build, super fast and accurate FullTime AutoFocus of the V1 are much better for me.
I have the V1 for Hiking, Travel, and Landscape job photos.
I can carry it with a 10-30 lens in my pocket.

I would not choose the NEX-7 for anything that I shoot with the D800.
There is no comparison in image quality.
Perhaps for David's TriPod work, it is "good enough".

glennaa11 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2004Mon 28-May-12 06:15 PM
443 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 8

Arlington, US

I am a bit torn at the moment between V1 and NEX-7. I really loved the NEX-7's user interface (i.e. command dials) when I played with it briefly in a camera shop the other day. But as a D7000 owner with several Nikkor lenses I like the idea of V1 and the super slomo video is really cool. Of course the price is also a sizable difference.

Ultimately I expect to end up with both (or maybe the next gen of one or the other) because I know me.

Glenn
http://picasaweb.google.com/GlennAuve
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/ppuser/71182/cat/500

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 01-May-12 11:49 AM
#10. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0

Knoxville, US

Now that I've bought a Nikon 1 I can answer my own poll! lol. I got it because it's light, easy to take around, and gives me an excuse to take more pictures where I don't want to deal with my heavier gear. Probably will be my exclusive travel kit now when I know I'm not going to take extra care (such as a photo trip or a trip to an exotic location). While I don't mind the heaviness of the other stuff I do mind the bulk when I really don't need it.

Jamy1946 Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Aug 2011Tue 22-May-12 06:58 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0

Chonburi, TH

I replaced my D300s with a Nikon 1 V1 + FT1 adapter for 2 reasons:

- the reach (my 300 AF-S f/4 is now a 810 f/4 (great for birds)
- the weight

Of course the D300s was better but the more I use the V1, the more I am convinced I made the right choice

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

nwcs Silver Member Awarded for his in-depth knowledge in various areas, including Landscape and Wildlife Photography Nikonian since 15th Jan 2006Tue 22-May-12 02:25 PM
#12. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 11

Knoxville, US

Nice! I know what you mean, too.

slothead Gold Member Nikonian since 12th Aug 2009Mon 28-May-12 11:07 PM
1530 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: Your choice of a Nikon 1 is because..."
In response to Reply # 0

Frederick, US

I want to vote twice because I am adding to my kit and like it because it's easy to carry around and creating another excuse to take pictures. But alas, I can only vote once, so I voted for the"easy" case.

Tom
http://tjmanson.smugmug.com
D800, P7000, Oly OM-D E-M5, Oly E-P2IR
Nikkor Zooms: AF-S 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, AF-S 18-135 f/3.5-5.6
Nikkor primes: 24 f/2.8Ai-S, 24 f/2.8D, 28 f/2.8D, 50 f/1.4D, AF-S 50 F/1.8, 85 f/1.4D, Nikkor-C 500 f/8 Refl.
Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4, Sigma 70-300 Macro f/3.5-5.6.
Oly 12-42mm f/3.5-5.6, 45mm f/1.8
Lumix 12-35 f/2.8, 25mm f/1.4, 14-140mm f/4.0-5.8, 100-300mm f/4.0-5.6
Gitzo GT3541L, Manfrotto MT293A4, MP 680B
Markins M-20, RRS BH-25 Pro

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1142 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.