Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1119
View in linear mode

Subject: "Waxing Moon with V1" Previous topic | Next topic
gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Thu 29-Mar-12 02:36 AM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Waxing Moon with V1"

Mystic, US

I purchased a Nikon V1 for its portability, to use mainly for family snapshots and other photo opportunities when not carrying my DSLRs. Of course, I also got the FT-1 adapter to have some fun with my collection of Nikkor lenses on the V1. I have been particularly pleased with the amount of detail that can be pulled out of these small pixels when using longer lenses.

The following sequence of the Moon this week were all taken with the V1 mounted on a 300 mm f/2.8 VR with TC-20E III and FT-1.

Monday, 3/26/2012
Atmospheric turbulence, high thin clouds and cold windy conditions made it difficult to get a good sharp shot. This is the best of about a dozen attempts at the crescent Moon.

Tuesday, 3/27/2012
Atmosphere was a bit more stable tonight, and less wind. However, clouds started obscuring the Moon almost immediately after I set up. My first shot was the only one that was not significantly degraded by the haze or cloud cover.

Wednesday, 3/28/2012
Warmer tonight with a stable atmosphere. High, thin haze produced a visible halo around the Moon, but did not significantly degrade the image.

All were cropped at 50%, with a slight WB adjustment, and some contrast enhancement and sharpening in PP, and resized. Full size versions can be viewed at my Smugmug site "gvk.smugmug.com/Photography/Moon"

Gerry

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Tue 03-Apr-12 02:37 AM
263 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Waxing Moon with V1"
In response to Reply # 0

Mystic, US

Tonight was the first clear night since last Wednesday. There were still some thin residual clouds that blurred a few shots. I finally got this shot of the gibbous Moon during a brief clear interval, with enough moisture still in the atmosphere to produce a visible halo. Same lens and TC combination was used on the V1. Crop is about 2/3 the height of the original frame.

Gerry

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 04-Apr-12 04:04 AM
4265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Waxing Moon with V1"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

These are all VERY NICE Gerard!

Sounds like based on your FOV I could use my 500VR or 500VR+TC14E or maybe even TC17E.

Can I use the histogram to reliably establish an exposure or how did you do it?

What kind of SS do I need to use to stop motion blur of the moon?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006Wed 04-Apr-12 09:53 PM
#3. "RE: Waxing Moon with V1"
In response to Reply # 2
Thu 05-Apr-12 01:26 PM by gvk

Mystic, US

Thanks.

Yes, the 500 mm with TC14 or TC17 should work well, giving you a bit larger image than my 600 mm (300 mm + TC20). The angular diameter of the Moon is about 1/2 degree, so framing with the TC17 will be tight (estimated vertical angular FOV at about 0.6 degree).

The Earth's rotation contributes 360/24 = 15 degrees/hr of motion. The Moon's orbital motion reduces this a bit. This is also equivalent to 15 arcseconds per second (of time). So the Moon will shift in the frame about 1/2 degree, or its apparent width, in a bit over 2 minutes. For FOV 0.6 deg divided by 2592 pixels in the vertical frame of a V1 gives about 0.8 arcsecond/pixel on the sensor. So to keep blur from the Moon's motion under a pixel, you need to shoot faster than 1/15 shutter speed. My crescent Moon shots were taken at 1/50, and blur from wind induced camera motion, atmospheric turbulence and clouds affected the shots much more than motion of the Moon.

Exposure for a full Moon is typically about 1 stop more than "sunny 16," i.e. 1/ISO at f/11, or equivalent. A side lit quarter Moon needs about 2 stops more exposure, and the crescent Moon about 3+ stops compared to the full Moon.

Gerry

masteven Registered since 23rd Jun 2012Sun 15-Jul-12 02:13 PM
10 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Waxing Moon with V1"
In response to Reply # 3

Vancouver, CA

Gerry,
Thank you for the detailed info of how to calculate the min. shutter speed to photograph the moon on the V1. It's very impressive how you've came up with the numbers AND why you don't want to use a long exposure for the moon.
Steven

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #1119 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.