Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

Mystic, US
416 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
gvk Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Feb 2006
Thu 29-Mar-12 03:36 AM

I purchased a Nikon V1 for its portability, to use mainly for family snapshots and other photo opportunities when not carrying my DSLRs. Of course, I also got the FT-1 adapter to have some fun with my collection of Nikkor lenses on the V1. I have been particularly pleased with the amount of detail that can be pulled out of these small pixels when using longer lenses.

The following sequence of the Moon this week were all taken with the V1 mounted on a 300 mm f/2.8 VR with TC-20E III and FT-1.

Monday, 3/26/2012
Atmospheric turbulence, high thin clouds and cold windy conditions made it difficult to get a good sharp shot. This is the best of about a dozen attempts at the crescent Moon.

Tuesday, 3/27/2012
Atmosphere was a bit more stable tonight, and less wind. However, clouds started obscuring the Moon almost immediately after I set up. My first shot was the only one that was not significantly degraded by the haze or cloud cover.

Wednesday, 3/28/2012
Warmer tonight with a stable atmosphere. High, thin haze produced a visible halo around the Moon, but did not significantly degrade the image.

All were cropped at 50%, with a slight WB adjustment, and some contrast enhancement and sharpening in PP, and resized. Full size versions can be viewed at my Smugmug site "gvk.smugmug.com/Photography/Moon"