Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #110
View in linear mode

Subject: "V1 movies in low light" Previous topic | Next topic
RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 27-Sep-11 02:52 PM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"V1 movies in low light"

Monterey Bay, US

Will the V1 be able to out shoot the D5100 inside my church with no additional light?

I often hit Auto ISO 6400 with an f/3.5 lens such as the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
Fortunately, the Video quality is still quite good.
However, it is noticeable better with a 35mm f/1.8, but
that lens will be too long (35x2.7 = 94.5) to use
unless I move to the back of the room and
shoot off a platform over everyone's heads.

How much would the quality be affected by shooting from further away?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: V1 movies in low light
Len Shepherd Gold Member
27th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Sep 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
28th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
28th Sep 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
22nd Nov 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
23rd Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
23rd Nov 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
04th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
05th Dec 2011
KnightPhoto Gold Member
05th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Dec 2011
chgortari Silver Member
19th Dec 2011
RRRoger Silver Member
19th Dec 2011
chgortari Silver Member
20th Dec 2011

Len Shepherd Gold Member Nikonian since 09th Mar 2003Tue 27-Sep-11 10:23 PM
12722 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 0

Yorkshire, GB

>Will the V1 be able to out shoot the D5100 inside my church with no additional light?
As the new cameras are not yet on sale all I can advise it wait for several reviews and then come to a provisional conclusion.

Photography is a bit like archery. A technically better camera, lens or arrow may not hit the target as often as it could if the photographer or archer does not practice enough.

Len Shepherd

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 28-Sep-11 12:36 AM
3139 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 1

Monterey Bay, US

>As the new cameras are not yet on sale all I can advise it
>wait for several reviews and then come to a provisional
>conclusion.<

I will get "hands on" in a couple weeks when the first V1 arrives at my local camera store.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 28-Sep-11 01:49 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 1

Alberta, CA

Gents,

Is there any sense that video is more immune to high ISO noise than stills? Perhaps due to all the processing that goes on to downsize and process the image down to video frame size (i.e. only about 2mp per frame). Or maybe the noise is still there, but due to motion, my perception of noise is much reduced?

I have this sense, possibly entirely incorrect, that my video-shooting to-date has been more immune to high ISO noise than my stills. I do readily notice noise in still shots whereas I don't have the same objections when I shoot video.

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 28-Sep-11 02:02 AM
#4. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 3

Monterey Bay, US

>Gents,
>
>I have this sense, possibly entirely incorrect, that my
>video-shooting to-date has been more immune to high ISO noise
>than my stills.
>Best regards, SteveK >

It is still there.

Yes you are looking at a moving target so it matters less,
that and a reduced size image like in your camera monitor show it less.

Just take one frame (Nikon software lets you do this) and blow it up on your computer monitor.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSat 05-Nov-11 01:55 PM
#5. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 4

Monterey Bay, US

We have been doing a "TRON" Video the last two nights.
Very little external light allowed to highlight the Illumined lettering on the suits and bike.
Needless to say, most of the footage is blurred and grainy using my D5100.
In fact the AutoFocus freaked out on the illuminated bars in the jail scene. I had to back way off to shoot it.

I still want to know if the V1 can do better and how much so.
Does anyone have "Hands On" footage for us to see?

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberTue 22-Nov-11 12:44 PM
#6. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 5

Monterey Bay, US

My Question remains unanswered.
Except for the possibility of much better AutoFocusing,
it appears that the V1 does NOT have as high ISO capability as the D5100.

Nikon 1 cameras are now being discounted, but I still have no "Hands On".
And, as far as I know, no one in Monterey County even has one yet.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Wed 23-Nov-11 03:16 AM
4213 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 6

Alberta, CA

Hi Roger,

On the weekend, I finally processed a low light video (theatre). I had about 30 minutes and trimmed it down to about 13 minutes, but it's still 1GB in size so not easy to share.

Focus was really good with only one, maybe two instances of focus hunting and it wasn't glaring and might have been caused by me changing focus point in those instances. I used 3D subject tracking. I am very impressed with the AF-C focussing ability comparing to my D7000 where I was limited to the RRRoger technique of shooting AF-S and only touching up autofocus occasionally as needed (i.e. on D7K it was not feasible to use AF-C as you and I both experienced).

I am not as experienced as you are with video. To my eye, my high ISO 720p video is not blindingly "sharp" on a 27" monitor nor a 50" TV but I am such a novice post-processor that could be me messing with iMovie and iDVD. When I view the native video using ViewNX2 and I click on the View Full Screen option it looks sharper to me than the stuff I post-processed (but quirkily ViewNX2 only shows the "full screen" video at about 3/4 of my full screen size, so the image is smaller and may explain its sharper look). All of this was handheld BTW.

I am an uber-novice video post-processer and evaluator so very hard for me to give you good information If I had more experience I could compare it to some low ISO video for sharpness, but sorry not yet.

By carefully looking in one dark scene though, I can see a fair amount of noise dancing in the background on medium gray and dark blue curtains. I can't see any noise on my subjects of course, so I didn't notice this problem the first 15 times I watched the video (e.g. during post-processing).

The other thing is my sense is the dynamic range is low, meaning very sensitive to blown highlights. Given how many tens of thousands of still theatre photos I have shot with D200, D300, and D700 you'd think I'd know to underexpose the video (using matrix meter) just like I do my stills, but again no I didn't think of that! I've learned my lesson and I plan to expose the video at -1.7 to 2.0 just like I do on my stills from my D700. Duh!

Notwithstanding the above, I am actually fairly pumped about V1 video possibilities and for me it is capturing priceless memories that is by far my best alternative given that I am capturing live action with no opportunity to influence the lighting or re-shoot a scene. The AF seems really good to me and the sounds seems excellent BTW, better than I recall from the D7000. I haven't tried my external sound unit yet (Zoom H4N), but I will at some point.

I have another opportunity, different play, in the next two weeks so I plan to give it a better go. Overall, aside from all the operator error I describe above, I hope to improve my second time out.

To give you a sense of how little I know about video, I don't even understand how ISO works with respect to video - if I limited the video capture to ISO1600 next time rather than last time where I used Auto-ISO 3200 what trade-offs would I be making?

Best regards, SteveK

'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberWed 23-Nov-11 03:43 AM
#8. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 7

Monterey Bay, US

Thanks Steve for the reply.

I am a Professional Event Shooter or at least was before the Economy bottomed out. I have a hard time making expenses selling JPEGs or prints now.

Frankly, I am also an amateur home movie maker.
Having the equipment and agreeing to do it makes me the Church VideoGrapher.

I use Auto ISO 6400 and just upped it to Hi with my D5100,but
most of my HD1080p 30fps Video is shot around 800 ISO because
I have switched to my 28-70 f/2.8 lens.

Most of the V1 lens are 3.5-5.6 F-stop and the movie lens the 10-100 is f/4.5-5.6.
The Auto ISO only goes to 3200 with a Hi setting of 6400.
Looking at the specs, I do not expect good low light Movies.
But I see little bitty U-tube Night time Videos that look great.

What can I expect in the real world?
Should I replace my D5100 with a V1 or wait for something better than a Canon.
The 5D2 was a huge focus disappointment and I would never risk $8,000 on a 1Dx.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberSun 04-Dec-11 12:15 AM
#9. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 8
Mon 05-Dec-11 03:51 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

I got my V1 yesterday having only looked at a crippled (by Best Buys leash and no memory card) J1.
So, I have had very little "Hands ON".
This (heavier than most pocket cameras, but less than half the weight of my D5100) little Brick feels very solid and well built.

The stills, although they do show more moire in the dark areas, are much better than I expected.
I botched the Nursery "Walk About" Video by using the on-board mic.
It recorded my breathing.
Otherwise, it was better than anything I have tried since my Super 8 died.
I am sure it will be much better with practice and improved settings.

Tomorrow will determine whether this V1 is a keeper.
I will be using the 10-30 lens at 100-3200 auto ISO and my Azden SMX-10 for the Church Service.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 05-Dec-11 03:46 PM
#10. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 9

Monterey Bay, US

It is a Keeper!

The Church Service Video came out good.
Although not stellar, I shot it in the lowest quality setting.

I could not tell what the actual ISO was?
I have it set at Auto 100-3200 and the LCD shows 3200 all the time.

The FF Auto was "Stellar", much better than anything I've used.
The Video had blown highlights so (as on the D5100) I will have to set the EV to -.03 or -.07

Surprisingly, the Azden Stereo mic performed much better on the V1 than the D5100 or D7000.
It does not pick up any camera noise or my breathing like the on-camera mics do.
I used a C bracket to hold the mic but ordered a double mount Adorama bracket with handle $9.95
I think it will be enable me to do a "Walk About" without my "Awkward" shoulder brace.

I also ordered a $43 LCD Video light from Amazon.

One of my D7000 cameras is for sale in Nikonians to cover part of the cost.

Why does Nikon tout it a simple to use or was that the J1?
Where is the "Dummy" button that sets everything to Automatic?
I have a long ways to go before dialing this camera.

So, the fun has begun.

KnightPhoto Gold Member Nikonian since 18th Dec 2006Mon 05-Dec-11 10:54 PM
#11. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 10

Alberta, CA

Sounds very encouraging Roger!

If you don't mind, Please keep us posted with your experiences as you move forward.

I agree my V1 does not pick up my breathing or lens noises.

Due to the same ISO uncertainty you mention, I shot my second attempt at low light video at a fixed 1600 rather than Auto 3200. It seems so far to be looking pretty good at 1600, but I haven't post processed it yet.

Have yet to use my sound recorder (Zoom H4N), your report sounds encouraging. I appreciate your insights about a bracket, I'll have to obtain one.

I have been shooting more video than stills so far with this camera. I do have some daylight Moose video and stills to process, the results of which should be very informative. I've got a huge event to post-process from my D700 so have to get that out of the way first!

Best regards, SteveK

My Nikonians gallery
My Nikonians Blog

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 19-Dec-11 02:47 PM
#12. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 11

Monterey Bay, US

Success!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MspK-mKS9Fw

Seems that with good lighting, indoor Video is possible with the V1 and 30-110 lens.
There are other Videos on U-Tube made with other cameras that did not come out as well.

Later that night, I tried outdoors at our Christmas in the Country production in Prunedale.
The V1 did AutoFocus well,
but the movies did not come out well at all.

because it was so dark that I could barely see with my eyes.
I also tried using my LED movie light but it was even worst.
Surprising to me because it was so bright that it blinded everyone.

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Mon 19-Dec-11 03:30 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#13. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 12

El Paso, US

You did pretty well. I was surprised at the sound quality! Did you use an external mic and if so which one. Thanks for sharing.

RRRoger Silver Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his long history of demonstrated excellence and helping other members with equipment, technique and DSLR video in the true Nikonians spirit. Charter MemberMon 19-Dec-11 03:47 PM
#14. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 13
Mon 19-Dec-11 04:30 PM by RRRoger

Monterey Bay, US

>You did pretty well. I was surprised at the sound quality!
>Did you use an external mic and if so which one. Thanks for
>sharing.

Still have a huge amount to learn.

The mic is an Azden SMX-10
It is inexpensive, Stereo, directional and has a really good rubber mount.

Here is a skit done at church and VideoGraphed with the V1 and 10-30 lens:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZLA8daCUw

chgortari Silver Member Nikonian since 13th Nov 2010Tue 20-Dec-11 01:19 AM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: V1 movies in low light"
In response to Reply # 14

El Paso, US

I'm really impressed with the video quality. The V-1 does a great job and the Azden condenser mic is also very good. Thanks for posting the video

Forums Lobby GET TO KNOW YOUR CAMERA & MASTER IT Nikon 1 Cameras (Public) topic #110 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.